“OK, once we figured out how to enter the lobby.”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #17 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Fort Collins, Colorado
“OK, once we figured out how to enter the lobby.”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My wife and I went for a long weekend to visit our son at Carnegie Mellon.This was our first time in Pittsburgh. The hotel was well located and easy to find in our airport rental car. Figuring out the hotel's entrance was another story. Even though HGIs are "value priced" hotels, you would expect to be able to pull up front to a covered entrance foyer, get out of the car and hand over the keys to the valet. This is especially nice when your are disabled and it is raining. We arrived ~ 11 PM, tried that, only to find no one, and a sign taped to the front door that said after _? o'clock, use ramp. The ramp is an ungodly steep affair, leading up a floor where the valets and front desk are waiting. Problem there is, the flat "landing" at the top of the ramp only fit one car. Nearly every time we returned to the hotel, the landing was taken, and the attendants would motion for us to leave the car there, and "they would take care of everything". Problem there is, I can't safely navigate steep inclines using my cane, and trying to get in my wheelchair is even more perilous.

Sooo..., we always had to wait on the ramp "next up", until the car in front was driven up into the lot, we could pull up onto the landing, where I could exit safely.

Big, unsafe, embarrassing hassle, and probably not ADA compliant.

Once inside, the hotel was what we had come to expect from Hilton...very good. One of the two main elevators broke down for a day, and our room had a noisy refrigerator. Both items were fixed within a day.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 11 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all comments and/or concerns will be shared with all of my team member’s ensuring we implement the correct changes to make sure all of our guests leave satisfied.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel.The staff was courteous, the room was clean, and it was located close to all that we were interested in doing while in Pittsburgh. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all of your comments will be shared with all of my team member’s. I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.
Southwestern US
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed here for a visit to Univ of Pittsburgh. Ten minute walk to most of campus. Hotel had nice beds, very clean bathrooms, decent workout room, pleasant staff. Breakfast was pricey, $12.95 per person before tax and trip. Skipped that but we found several excellent alternatives a short walk east on Forbes. (About 2 blocks east, we ate at Bruegger's Bagels- $20 for breakfast sandwich & drinks for 4) Parking was high- $18, so we parked at garage immediately adjacent (look east past the gas station and you can see the 4-5 story structure within 1/2 a block) for $9. Good free coffee in the lobby in morning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Washington State
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed here along with several professional colleagues seeking a different place to stay on the PItt campus. Perhaps due to its Wyndham heritage this hotel looks and feels more "full service" than other HGI. I did not have occasion to use the restaurant which seems to need improvement based on some reviews. However, all other aspects of my stay (and that of others) exceeded expectations and the HGI was actually priced less online than lesser competitors like the Holiday Inn Express. The room was comfortably and quietly heated, beds and pillows reasonably fresh, and the front desk/bell staff couldn't have been more courteous and helpful. It was nice to have a mini fridge and microwave in the room as well. The only issue is with whoever designed the bathroom. The door is large and heavy and there is no way to prop it open for ventilation without using a luggage item or some other heavy object. There is no fan in the bathroom so you need to do this to avoid fogging the mirrors. And I have never seen a toilet paper holder 3 feet away from the toilet (e.g. grab a handful before you sit down). Weird. But comparing these nits to a negative service experience elsewhere, I'll definitely be back to the HGI next visit to Oakland.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
I appreciate your time and look forward to serviceing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a wedding. Rooms were nice, clean, and modern with all the standard amenities.

However, the wedding we were with had its own, separate shuttle for wedding guests. The hotel staff knew nothing about this and led us to believe that we needed to make a reservation on the hotel shuttle, which caused considerable confusion amongst our party. The staff should be better informed of these matters.

Additionally, I think this hotel was far too expensive for what we received. $17 for valet in Pittsburgh is outrageous, especially when there is a $5/day garage one block away.

• Stayed October 2012
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for the feedback you provided regarding yours stay. We take our comments very serriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is anyway we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
ny
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Located near the hospital this was a perfect location and the room was adequate. The valet staff and the wait staff were friendly and helpful. My dining experience was not favorable. If you don't have a car and must dine here I would suggest ordering starters, as they were better than the meal. The rolls were stale, the steak tough, and the burger not cooked to order. The Manager removed my meal from the check and I went without my dinner. The room cleaning was not the best. We stayed several nights and the room service varied from day to day. It appear that they were short staffed. I would still suggest this hotel if you need to be near the hospital.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of you recent experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I would like to personally apologize for the issues you encountered throughout your stay. I am very glad to hear that the manager at the time removed the charge from your bill; however, I apologize for the lack of food quality you received during your dining experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure you that your concerns will be addressed with the appropriate staff members. If there is anything at all I can do to make this up to you please feel free to reach out to me at any time. I appreciate your time and hope you will consider using our hotel again the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I love this hotel!! The staff, setting and environment is perfect for visiting friends and family in Pittsburgh!! I will definitely be coming back here in the future. From the moment we arrived, the valets were very welcoming, front desk agents were helpful and courteous and really knowledgeable of the area. The housekeeping staff was very warm and kind as well - the staff in the restaurant and bar were great too!!

• Stayed September 2012
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to inform us on the wonderful experience you had during your visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. We are pleased that you were very satisfied with the overall experience and service you received. At our hotel as well as Hilton Worldwide we strive for perfection and anything else is unacceptable. I appreciate your time and look forward to serving you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!