“Outstanding!”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 30 December 2012

This hotel is outstanding! From the start everything was perfect. This hotel offers great rates. It is located in walking distance from many restaurants and attractions. The Valet was great after a long day of driving and they were so speedy. The Front Desk was so welcoming and helpful. I have never encountered a Front Desk staff like this-always smiling and happy. The room was very clean and modern. The restaurant was delicious. The breakfast buffet is such a deal considering how much food you receive and the great quality. The entire staff was awesome. Just walking through the hotel I would run into managers and associates and EVERYONE wanted to make sure my stay was going well. This was my favorite hotel and I will return!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank griffin f
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for the feedback you provided regarding yours stay. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your positive feedback will be shared with all team members and management staff. If there is anything at all that I can assist with any future visits please feel free to contact me directly at sean.groth@hilton.com.
Best,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed 20 December 2012

We stayed here for 1 night to visit Pitt. We wanted a hotel within walking distance of the University of Pittsburgh

As a hilton honors member, Sean growth the asst manager, upgraded us to a suite which was a nice surprise! My son and I were able to watch 2 diff tv's and have each our own bathroom which was nice.

The hotel has a shuttle bus which makes it easy to get around the area.

The front desk person that checked us in, Kelsey, was friendly and helpful

The breakfast in the hotel was good, in the morning- service was attentive

All in all, the HGI was nice and I would stay here again

Room Tip: higher floor was quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Best,

Reviewed 30 November 2012

We stayed here for one night during my son's hockey tournament. It was fairly easy to find and we parked in the parking ramp for $5 a block away. As previously stated, the entrance is kind of strange, you have to go up several stairs in order to get to the front desk. We had luggage plus my 12 yr old son had all of his hockey gear so it was a little awkward getting up there. The staff were all very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. Another odd thing is that the bathroom door is very heavy and won't stay open. There's no fan in there so when you take a shower, you have to prop the door open in order to get the steam out. We were there less than 12 hours but enjoyed our night's stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for the feedback you provided regarding yours stay. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your feedback will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement any necessary corrective action.
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is anyway we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

This was my first visit to Pittsburgh and this hotel . I came here to see the Steelers game with my two sons. The hotel was easy to find and in a good location.The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room was spacious and clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony S
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all of your comments will be shared with all of my team member’s. I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed for 2 nights while visiting The University of Pittsburg and Carnegie Mellon University with my two sons. It is centrally located and very close to the Pitt campus. It is also close to restaurants and a gas station and a CVS is next door. The parking garage is adjacent to the hotel, but if you have an SUV that is taller than 6'2", your vehicle will not fit through the clearance beams. There is valet parking, but you still need to somehow get your vehicle through. We arrived late and our room was ready for us. Upon entering, we all noticed a strong smell of cleaning solvent. While unpacking my son took his shoes off and was walking around and stepped on a wet, stained spot on the carpet. It was from this stain that the smell was coming from. Obviously, someone had spilled something on the carpet and was trying to clean it up.The room was very small and crammed. The beds were small and definitely not queen size. They were extremely uncomfortable and was probably the worst night sleep I ever got. The room was stuffy and the bathroom did not have an exhaust fan which was very uncomfortable. We will not be staying here again in the future. I will spend a few extra dollars to be comfortable and not be grossed out with a dirty carpet.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for the feedback you provided regarding yours stay. We take our comments very serriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We were visiting colleges in Pittsburgh and this hotel is very convenient to both University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie-Mellon University, and somewhat convenient to Duquesne University. Overall, the room was comfortable and clean and the service was very good. The restaurant was good for dinner, but we felt the breakfast buffet was overpriced and just mediocre. Most restaurants these days offer a free breakfast. Parking was expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. I do apologize for the parking charges; however, space is very limited in the Pittsburgh/Oakland area and we do our best to accommodate our guest needs. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all of your comments will be shared with all of my team member’s. I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

My wife and I went for a long weekend to visit our son at Carnegie Mellon.This was our first time in Pittsburgh. The hotel was well located and easy to find in our airport rental car. Figuring out the hotel's entrance was another story. Even though HGIs are "value priced" hotels, you would expect to be able to pull up front to a covered entrance foyer, get out of the car and hand over the keys to the valet. This is especially nice when your are disabled and it is raining. We arrived ~ 11 PM, tried that, only to find no one, and a sign taped to the front door that said after _? o'clock, use ramp. The ramp is an ungodly steep affair, leading up a floor where the valets and front desk are waiting. Problem there is, the flat "landing" at the top of the ramp only fit one car. Nearly every time we returned to the hotel, the landing was taken, and the attendants would motion for us to leave the car there, and "they would take care of everything". Problem there is, I can't safely navigate steep inclines using my cane, and trying to get in my wheelchair is even more perilous.

Sooo..., we always had to wait on the ramp "next up", until the car in front was driven up into the lot, we could pull up onto the landing, where I could exit safely.

Big, unsafe, embarrassing hassle, and probably not ADA compliant.

Once inside, the hotel was what we had come to expect from Hilton...very good. One of the two main elevators broke down for a day, and our room had a noisy refrigerator. Both items were fixed within a day.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all comments and/or concerns will be shared with all of my team member’s ensuring we implement the correct changes to make sure all of our guests leave satisfied.
I appreciate your time and look forward to serving you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.