“Decent place to stay for the night”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #17 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cleveland, Ohio
“Decent place to stay for the night”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We recently did a 1 night trip to Pittsburgh, mainly to spend the evening at the Rivers Casino. My husband racked up alot of Hilton Honors points so we had to book at a Hilton hotel. Since it was Memorial Day weekend, most of the hotels closer to the casino were booked and this was the closest one we could get with our points. The room was very clean and nicely updated. The beds were ok, there was a dial on the side to adjust the firmness but I don't know how well it worked. The main issue was our room's a/c unit. It would kick on every 10 or 15 minutes and it was super loud. Also, if you are looking for amenities like a pool or hot tub, you won't find that here. However, the area that this hotel is in has alot of restaurants within walking distance. We had breakfast at Pamela's diner which was delicious, especially if you are a pancake lover. All in all, this hotel wasn't bad, but I will probably stay elsewhere the next time I visit Pittsburgh.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you Allison for staying with us over the holiday weekend and taking the time to share your experience with others. We are honored that you choose us to spend your hard-earned Hilton Honors points and enjoy all that Pittsburgh has to offer. I hope you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service that allows guests to travel within 3 miles of our hotel. We hope that if you ever are back in the Pittsburgh area that you will give us another chance to show you what a 5* stay is all about.

bill.theiss@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Pros: Very nice staff (all around, actually, I was impressed with how pleasant everyone was), good location to UPMC and Pitt, nice rooms, bed wasn't uncomfortable, food in restaurant was decent, coffee and mini-fridge/microwave in room were great.

Cons: Loud. Unbelievably loud. The first night I was there, I was awakened by what can only be likened to the velociraptor from the first scene in Jurassic Park. Loud screeching and banging sounds. I have to admit it is rare for me to be afraid to look out the window but I just didn't know what could be making that sound (spoiler: I never did find out, I think garbage truck outside, but I don't know, *shudder*).

I was on the second floor, located next to the service elevator. This was also a source for noise, and yes, it was occasionally at night so that was a bit inconvenient, but as I was working all day and only at the hotel for 2 nights it really didn't bother me enough to be asked to move rooms.

I would recommend staying here, the lobby has water and coffee which are a nice touch you don't always see in this tier of hotel. If it is loud you can always move rooms, so I don't think that is much of a problem. On a side note, I'm open to any suggestions as to the horror that took place outside my window.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near service elevator
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you Stella for taking the time for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with others. We are thrilled that you thought so highly of our staff and will pass along your positive comments about the hotel to them so they all know to keep up the good work. As for the noise, I do apologize about the discomfort as well as the room location during your stay, I cannot speak for other Hilton Garden Inns, but I assure you that there have been no Velociraptor or T-Rex spotting in the neighborhood for some months; I will place a call to Dr Grant to survey the Oakland neighborhood just in case. We hope that you will stay with us again if your travels ever bring you in the Pittsburgh area again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Staff at front desk, restaurant, parking valet, and limo drivers were vey helpful and pleasant. Location was good for museum visits, and free shuttle was great. Creaky bed and careless housekeeping were my only complaints. Excellent value overall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey about your time staying with us. I do wish to apologize about the comfort of your bed during your stay with us. With the Garden Sleep System that Hilton Garden Inns offer. I have found that some people love the idea of it, on the other hand some people dislike them & are truly never comfortable. I am truly sorry to hear that you were never able to find a good night’s sleep in our beds. I do would like to thank you for your kind words about everything else about our hotel; I will definitely pass your comments along to my staff.

Gaithersburg, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is average in overall quality, but the staff is very friendly and professional. Check in and out is fast. Valet parking is very convenient and close to lobby. Hotel is very, very convenient for business or visits to the University of Pittsburgh and/or University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for staying with us and I am sorry you found your experience with us a 5* stay. I have passed along your concerns about the restaurant & a/c unit in order to correct those issues for future guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for falling short during your stay. I would also like to thank you for the positive comments about staff and location. We feel that it is the people that makes a stay with us extremely satisfying. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future if your plans have you back in the Oakland area.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

but honestly, it's not that bad. I mean, yes, the beds are weird. And yeah, you bump your legs on the pointy corners and the rooms are small and kind of warm. We experienced every common complaint in these reviews, too, but it was okay. We survived and slept the night through. It just depends on how much these things bother you.

Park on the side street (McKee, I think?) if it's Sunday (all day free) or late enough on Saturday. Two hour parking limit, but we didn't get a ticket and we avoided the expensive parking garage.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you Melanie for taking the time to review our hotel from your past stay with us. Our goal for everyone is to have a 5* stay with us, and we are sorry about the experience with the Garden Sleep System that Hilton Garden Inns offer. I would like to expand your comments about parking. We do offer a Garage for $18 a night with unlimited in/out privileges , but as you mentioned there are options. There's a public garage only a block away that is only $9 a day {the only catch is you have to pay if you take your car out}, and parking on McKee or Coltart Streets is free from overnight till 8:00am for non-residents. They are quick to ticket in Oakland so indeed you were lucky! Thanks for staying with us, and we hope your travels will bring you in our doors soon.

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Choices are limited in this vicinity, but the Garden Inn here is a perfectly acceptable spot. Parking is convenient in the hotel garage, and the rooms are clean and efficient, if small. Short of taking the car out, dinner at the hotel restaurant (more like a lobby/bar) is about the only option in the immediate student-oriented neighborhood, unless you're looking for a burger and a beer. Service was fine, and the vegetables fresh, but options are limited. Breakfast is not included, but is reasonably priced, depending on how you interpret the "buffet." There seems to be little logic to the various pricing options, which were not consistent from day to day. The dining room organization leaves a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Elevators (2) can be slow.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you for spending your time with us recently. Our goal is for everyone to have a 5* stay with us and apologize for yours being average. Our location is unique in that we are right in the heart of Oakland, which is home to 3 universities, & 3 hospitals. Where it is true within walking distance is a lot of student-orientated dining, we do offer a shuttle service within 3 miles for guests who do not want to drive to local attractions or dining options outside of Oakland. As for your experience with the restaurant, if you could let me know in detail the issues you had with it in order to correct any issues for future guests of ours. If you have any plans on coming back to the area, please let me know in order to make sure you have a extremely satisfying experience!

412-683-2040 x4128
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I am being generous in giving 4 stars as the staff is very friendly. BUT... Replace the awful beds please! The number adjustable feature is a gimmick that does not work, these are the most uncomfortable beds! And the platform bed in an already small room just means hitting your shins and painful moments. Stop featuring these beds as something special and get rid of them!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We would also like to thank you for your years of business whenever you come into the Pittsburgh area. We always strive to give exceptional service every day, and we thank you for confirming the hard work our hotel staff does day in & day out. I would like to apologize for the comfort of our Garden Sleep System beds; we have found that some people love them, and some people cannot get a comfortable night's sleep, and for that we are sorry to hear that you were one of them. Unfortunately, the GSS beds & platforms are required for Hilton Garden Inn's and we are unable to replace them with a more traditional mattress/box-spring setting. We do have a few rooms that are have beds set up on a box-spring due to ADA requirements [such as 720 or 820] you might be able to have a more restful night's sleep. Whenever you have plans on coming back to the Oakland area, please let me know and I will do whatever it takes to ensure you have a 5-star stay!

412-683-2040