“Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh PA”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #16 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
New York, United States
“Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh PA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Had a wonderful time here. Took my wife and daughter 1st time here went to the family gathering and afterwards my wife and I put our daughter to sleep and enjoyed the bar. The suite we stayed in was spacious and comfortable

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Obiajula:

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at our hotel from when you stayed with us. We are thrilled that you thought so highly of us while enjoying the one of our suites, as well as the Garden Bar here at the hotel. I have shared your positive comments to the rest of the staff and thank you for giving us a 5* review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

bill.theiss@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
N. Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I had booked a suite as we were traveling with our son to check out the university of Pittsburgh. Great location, just a few minutes walk to campus. Our suite was on the 8th floor, and a corner location, with windows on 2 sides. Beautiful views in each direction. The suite was 2 large separate rooms. Our son slept well on the full size sleep sofa and had his own full bath. Our king bed was very comfortable. The only negatives about the room are regarding the bathrooms... there are no fans in the bathrooms so they get very hot immediately and there are no hooks either on the back of the doors or on the wall to hang clothes.This could easily be rectified. Also, we had to call housekeeping to obtain the bedding for the sofa bed as nothing was provided. Staff was courteous and helpful. Our room service order arrived promptly. Planning to stay here again and request the same suite!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with others. We are very happy that you thought so highly of our hotel and what we have to offer. I am pleased to hear that your suite was comfortable while visiting the University of Pittsburgh, which is only a few short blocks from our hotel. I will pass along your comments about the lack of hooks in the bathrooms in suite 822 to see if we can improve our service for future guests. We hope that your son will attend PITT so we can have the chance on seing you for years to come.

Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed there for it's proximity to U Pitt. And it fit the bill for price, rooms, gym etc. I heard that the breakfast was excellent, but did not get a chance to try it. The staff could not have been more friendly and inviting. Had a drink at the bar, used the gym and valet service, slept well at night, What else do you need :)
Some people complained about the noise, perhaps it depends on room location and the other guests, I did not have trouble with that. The price is very reasonable, even for the parking! There is a CVS right next door for conveniences and the room includes a little Keurig which was very convenient. Walked to the University and most restaurants. South Oakland can be Very sketchy, and the hotel is close to that part of town - but we stayed on the main street and enjoyed the time there. Would return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for staying at our hotel and writing about your experience when visiting the University of Pittsburgh. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed what we had to offer at our hotel including our convenient location on Forbes Avenue, our fabulous lounge, and the Keurig's, which makes Hilton Garden Inn the first national brand of hotels to have Keurig's come standard in all of our rooms! We hope that if your travels brings you back to the Pittsburgh area that you will stop on by and see us again.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have been working remotely in Pittsburgh for the past month. As summer approaches, the city gets very busy, and the hotels are in very short supply here. Finding hotels right downtown was downright impossible for the dates I needed, but this HGI was not far away. I got a good rate, so I figured I'd pack my bags and give it a whirl.

When I arrived, I pulled into the garage, and had my car parked by the valet. Then, I checked in. The associates at the front desk were very pleasant and welcomed me, pointed out the features of the property, and sent me on my way.

Fast forward to my most recent stay here, I arrive, and find that my reservation seems to not be there. Digging a little further, it seems that it was booked for the day before, and I was technically a no show. I had actually tried to edit my reservation, but due to the way Hilton handles reservation edits, and everything being sold out, I was apparently not successful in changing my booking, and my entire stay was cancelled as a no-show. Ava at the front desk was able to find me a room, but only for one night. I had to figure out where to stay the next night. I was in a sticky spot. Ava promised me she would let me know if there were any cancellations, and would call me right away if there were. Sure enough, within a couple hours of checking in, Ava called and said she had me all squared away. Disaster (and sleeping in my car) averted!

I can't give a big enough thumbs-up for the service of everyone I've met here, especially Ava, and also Amelia (who was there helping her with my reservation troubles). Ava truly took personal ownership of my concern, and saw it through to resolution. I couldn't ask for anything else.

The property is convenient - as the title indicates, it is very convenient to downtown without being downtown, being less than 5-10 minutes drive, and if you prefer, the hotel offers a free shuttle service if you prefer not to drive.

Food: Jimmy Johns is literally on the backside of the building to the south, Starbucks is a couple blocks north on Forbes. You'll also find the famous Pirmanthi Bros sandwiches, Chipotle, Panera, Pamela's Diner, Quaker Stake and Lube, and a few more. Plenty of things, all within walking distance.

As for the rooms, I found them to be perfectly quiet and comfortable - even during a horrendous thunderstorm, were it not for having the curtains open, I would not have even heard the thunder over the TV at reasonable volume.

The only difference between a 4/5 and 5/5 is the lack of pool/hot tub. Those would have been nice to come back to after a long day at work. Still in all, I will come back and visit here again.

Room Tip: Hilton Gold/Diamonds - Beware, there are no upgrades to suites here even if there's availability...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you Angelo for staying with us, and taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had difficulty in changing your reservation with us online, and thrilled that Ava & Amelia were able to take care of you and make your stay with us extremely satisfying. I have already passed along your praise of them and the rest of the staff here at the hotel in order to reward the great job our hotel does on a daily basis. We hope that you will come back and stay with us agan, whenever your travels brings you back to the Pittsburgh area.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We recently did a 1 night trip to Pittsburgh, mainly to spend the evening at the Rivers Casino. My husband racked up alot of Hilton Honors points so we had to book at a Hilton hotel. Since it was Memorial Day weekend, most of the hotels closer to the casino were booked and this was the closest one we could get with our points. The room was very clean and nicely updated. The beds were ok, there was a dial on the side to adjust the firmness but I don't know how well it worked. The main issue was our room's a/c unit. It would kick on every 10 or 15 minutes and it was super loud. Also, if you are looking for amenities like a pool or hot tub, you won't find that here. However, the area that this hotel is in has alot of restaurants within walking distance. We had breakfast at Pamela's diner which was delicious, especially if you are a pancake lover. All in all, this hotel wasn't bad, but I will probably stay elsewhere the next time I visit Pittsburgh.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you Allison for staying with us over the holiday weekend and taking the time to share your experience with others. We are honored that you choose us to spend your hard-earned Hilton Honors points and enjoy all that Pittsburgh has to offer. I hope you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service that allows guests to travel within 3 miles of our hotel. We hope that if you ever are back in the Pittsburgh area that you will give us another chance to show you what a 5* stay is all about.

Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Pros: Very nice staff (all around, actually, I was impressed with how pleasant everyone was), good location to UPMC and Pitt, nice rooms, bed wasn't uncomfortable, food in restaurant was decent, coffee and mini-fridge/microwave in room were great.

Cons: Loud. Unbelievably loud. The first night I was there, I was awakened by what can only be likened to the velociraptor from the first scene in Jurassic Park. Loud screeching and banging sounds. I have to admit it is rare for me to be afraid to look out the window but I just didn't know what could be making that sound (spoiler: I never did find out, I think garbage truck outside, but I don't know, *shudder*).

I was on the second floor, located next to the service elevator. This was also a source for noise, and yes, it was occasionally at night so that was a bit inconvenient, but as I was working all day and only at the hotel for 2 nights it really didn't bother me enough to be asked to move rooms.

I would recommend staying here, the lobby has water and coffee which are a nice touch you don't always see in this tier of hotel. If it is loud you can always move rooms, so I don't think that is much of a problem. On a side note, I'm open to any suggestions as to the horror that took place outside my window.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near service elevator
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you Stella for taking the time for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with others. We are thrilled that you thought so highly of our staff and will pass along your positive comments about the hotel to them so they all know to keep up the good work. As for the noise, I do apologize about the discomfort as well as the room location during your stay, I cannot speak for other Hilton Garden Inns, but I assure you that there have been no Velociraptor or T-Rex spotting in the neighborhood for some months; I will place a call to Dr Grant to survey the Oakland neighborhood just in case. We hope that you will stay with us again if your travels ever bring you in the Pittsburgh area again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Staff at front desk, restaurant, parking valet, and limo drivers were vey helpful and pleasant. Location was good for museum visits, and free shuttle was great. Creaky bed and careless housekeeping were my only complaints. Excellent value overall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey about your time staying with us. I do wish to apologize about the comfort of your bed during your stay with us. With the Garden Sleep System that Hilton Garden Inns offer. I have found that some people love the idea of it, on the other hand some people dislike them & are truly never comfortable. I am truly sorry to hear that you were never able to find a good night’s sleep in our beds. I do would like to thank you for your kind words about everything else about our hotel; I will definitely pass your comments along to my staff.