“Average at best”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel was your average Hilton Garden Inn and while the room was clean it had a few major flaws and one huge quirk. It served our needs but I was quite disappointed as we stayed here the last two nights of our 11 days on the road and were quite tired. For the money we paid it could have been a lot better.

The biggest problem was that the a/c did not work properly in our room. The a/c would not automatically turn on at the temperature it was set to and therefore I spent much of the night getting up and manually turning it on until the room was a comfortable temperature and then having to close it as it didn't automatically turn off either. However, within a short time the room would heat up again. As it was unbearably hot and humid during our stay, not using the a/c was hardly an option. When the a/c was running it was deafeningly loud. So the choice was to be up sweating all night or up listening to a thunderously loud a/c system. I mentioned this to the front desk the next day and the woman at the desk said she'd have it checked out. We were out the entire afternoon and night and I noted when we returned to the hotel a different staff was at the front desk. I vaguely thought to ask whether the a/c had been fixed but never did ask. It wasn't until we went to bed that I realized I hadn't asked and it clearly had not been fixed. It still would not turn on automatically when the room reached the temperature it was set to and indeed the temperature in the room became increasingly intolerable. By then my son was asleep, and so was my husband who can sleep through anything, so I just resigned myself to a second night of no sleep for a ton of money.

The other problem with the room also revolved around sleep and I doubt I would have slept much better even if the a/c did work properly. I like firm mattresses but this was like sleeping on a slab of concrete. Yes, I am aware these were adjustable mattresses, and yes, I know how to adjust them and when they work I love them. Indeed that is one of the things I like best at the Hilton Garden Inn hotels that have them. But the adjustable knob on the mattress my husband and I slept on (or rather he slept on and I lay awake on) was broken. I was too tired to remember to ever ask the front desk about it but given that no one checked on the broken a/c I'm not sure this would have been checked either.

I'll still give the hotel an average as it was clean and the location was convenient for us.

Finally, the design is really odd and impractical. When you first enter the room there is a tiny, tiny alcove that has a refrigerator (we like that) and directly across from it the closet. In between is the bathroom door. Because of this configuration, the closet doors are not pocket doors and therefore the closet can only be opened about 20 inches, making it difficult to put a suitcase in there and making virtually half of the closet unusable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for staying at our hotel while you were visiting Pittsburgh. We are sorry that your stay was not the extremely satisfying experience that we strive for for all of our guests who stay with us. I assure you that the experience with our air conditioning units is not the norm and are deeply sorry that it did not work that first night, and that no one followed up with you. This is not what we expect from our staff and your experience will be shared with the rest of the team to ensure that what you experienced will not happen again to anyone else who stays at our hotel. As for the Garden Sleep System bedding. If you could let me know what room you stayed at I will be sure to pass this along to our maintenance staff to ensure that the mattress is in working order. If you have any other plans on coming back to the Pittsburgh area, please let me know in order to ensure that your next stay with us will be a 5* one; You Can Count on Me.

412-683-2040 x4128

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our grand-kids live in Pittsburgh and we visit about four times a year and we stay here every time and we love it. Nothing too fancy but simply a solid, well-run and clean hotel and a great location for us,only five minutes by car to see our grand-kids. We park our car on the street, however, rather than pay $18 a night to park in the hotel which I think is a bit too steep but that is my only complaint. The front-desk personnel are wonderful and always helpful trying to secure you the best rate possible for your stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your many experiences here with others online. We are thrilled that you indeed love this place for all that we have to offer. I will be sure to pass along your praise of the helpfulness of the front desk staff to them in order to confirm the Excellent job that they do on a daily basis here. We look forward the next time you visit your grandchildren!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn during a recent visit to Pittsburgh. Our family enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The customer service was excellent and made us feel welcome after a long hot drive to Pittsburgh. Some of the reviewers have complained about the valet parking, but is important to remember that this a city and the area is very congested, so the options for free parking are very limited. The staff at the hotel make the valet parking easy to access and use during your stay. I travel in the northeast, and the parking rate at the hotel is reasonable- think of what it would cost you in Boston or New York. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and the food was good. It was an enjoyable stay and would stay here again if I were visiting the Oakland area of Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience with others about your recent stay at our hotel. We are thrilled that you thought so highly of us, and will be sure to pass along your positive comments to the rest of the staff. As you mentioned, we do have Valet Parking at our hotel, in order to provide that little extra service for our guests who drive in and do not want the hassle of finding parking here in the Oakland neighborhood. For only $18, we offer unlimited in/out privileges, and you are also able to leave your car with us until 6pm the day of checkout, in case you want to leave your car while you go to work, attend a conference, or enjoy all Pittsburgh has to offer; which is by far the best deal in the neighborhood! We wish that your travels brings you back to the area, so you can enjoy more of what our hotel and city has to offer!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

At first, I thought this hotel would be a great value, but the advertised price does not include the taxes and fees, nor even a continental breakfast, and there's an extra $17 fee for mandatory valet parking. While the parking was convenient, there was no other option, making the hotel price misleading.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank Michael H

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Guest Survey in reference to your recent visit. I would like to apologize for failing to make your stay with us extremely satisfying. The reason for our garage being valet only is due to being an urban property with very limited parking availability, our insurance requires valet staff for safety purposes. As for breakfast, unlike other hotels which offer pre-packaged, frozen breakfast items complimentary, we offer a restaurant which serves fresh cooked-to-order entrees and menu items for a nominal fee, which is required by our brand. For guests utilizing the optional amenities such as parking & breakfast, we do offer both a Bed & Breakfast package, and a Park Eat n Go package which includes it parking & breakfast for our guests. We hope that whenever your travels brings you back to the Pittsburgh area, that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My stay was nice. The staff was very helpful, professional, and pleasant. My room was clean, updated and complete with sufficient amenities. The only negative of my experience was that the room was advertised at $159 on the Hilton website, but when I actually booked it, the price was over $200. Also, Hilton has the 100% Guarantee program advertised everywhere at the Hotel, but the only thing I requested, late checkout, was denied. So I think the Hilton experience is a good value, and Hilton doesn't need to promise lower rates or that they will satisfy your every need, if in fact both are untrue.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience from your recent stay at our hotel. We are thrilled that you thought so highly of us. I apologize for the experience that you had regarding our website. Unfortunately, we have little control over the website, as it is maintained by Hilton Corporate instead of the individual hotels. As for the late checkout, we always try to accommodate special requests, such as room location or late checkout, unfortunately there are times that we cannot accommodate these special requests due to high occupancy, or special events going on in the Pittsburgh area. If we cannot accommodate late checkouts, we are more than happy to provide alternative solutions, such as keeping your car parked until as late as 6pm, or storing your luggage until you leave the hotel/city.
We look forward to welcoming you whenever your plans have you coming back to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I'll start off by saying my room was CLEAN. This alone makes for a great stay! The room was spotless when I arrived and cleaned so nicely each day. Great housekeeping staff here.

I always appreciate the coffee, tea, water and cookies that HGI hotels offer in the lobby- the refreshments here were no exception.

My bed was not particularly comfortable (it's one mattress on a solid wood base), but the real sleeping hazard was the AC unit. My room (9th floor) had a large, old, window unit. The unit was very loud when shutting on/off and this was noticeable during the night.

I enjoyed the hotel's fitness center which was never crowded and is more than adequate. They have several treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, free weights and my personal favorite, thick yoga mats!

I would definitely stay here again when in Pittsburgh. Convenient access to highways, restaurants and offices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Marie for taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor about your experience while staying at our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, and will be sure to pass along your praise of our Housekeeping staff to confirm the Excellent job that they do on a daily basis. I would like to apologize about the experience that you had with our Garden Sleep System bedding. We have found that some people love the idea of the, while others are not truly comfortable. If you have plans on coming back to Pittsburgh, we hope that you will stay again at our convenient location on the edge of PITT's campus, & right off of I-376!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very nice customer service when booking the hotel. Parking was a bit confusing, as you cannot park at the hotel yourself. You can valet for $18/day or try and find parking on the street/a block away at another parking garage. The front desk staff were fine. The beds are strange, way too firm and the pillows are really sub-par as well. Pretty uncomfortable and slept poorly both nights. The rooms themselves are very spacious with an empty fridge/cabinet space and microwave, which was convenient. Breakfast at the hotel was great the next day and though we didn't use the shuttle, apparently it gets you where you need to be within a 3-mile radius from the hotel. I don't think I'd stay here again unless I had to, but it was fine since we needed to be in the Oakland area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay. We would like to thank you for your positive comments about how Excellent our staff, & rooms. With the Garden Sleep System beds, it is possible to adjust the firmness of your beds without use of motors, we have found that some people love the idea of them, and some are never able to be truly comfortable; I am sorry to hear that you were one of the latter. We hope that if your travels brings you back to the area, that you will stay with us again.