“Highly Recommend Shadyside” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Essex Junction, Vermont
“Highly Recommend Shadyside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

In mid-October, my husband, daughter, and I stayed in a one bedroom suite on Fifth Avenue. The most outstanding feature of Shadyside Inn is their staff. From the check-in office, maintenance, and housekeeping staffs, to the shuttle driver, it is obvious that the customer and service are paramount in their business model. Each staff member went beyond the normal expectations.

The suite itself is very comfortable with plenty of living space. The combination living/dining area served us well. The bedroom was large and spacious. The kitchen, though small, was adequate for cooking our meals. The housecleaning staff did a good job not only cleaning, but provided us with extra towels and linens without asking. Another noteworthy convenience is the free laundry room located on the first floor.

Location to downtown Pittsburgh and the many museums and activities is convenient. We used the shuttle one day to get to the museum and found it a great amenity to have. The Walnut Street shopping is just a few blocks away, an easy walk. There are brand name stores, as well as, a delicious deli and an amazing toy store.

Our only complaint was the night before leaving, the guests above our room checked in late. The constant noise from heels and shoes made it difficult to sleep. Once all was quieted down, it was fine. This was the only night we had that experience.

We would highly recommend Shadyside as a great place to stay when visiting Pittsburgh. It felt more like a home/apartment than a hotel suite.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
San Antonio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Shadyside Inn Suites is very close to the Carnegie Mellon University and Pitt University. If you are going to stay a while and want decent accommodations and a small kitchen so you don't have to eat out all the time, this is your place! Not luxury. Not cute. Large room with kitchenette and bath.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hi RossinSA, thanks for sharing your review, because it grants the opportunity for us to share the contrary impressions of most guests. The majority of people who stay here say that our suites are more than decent, they're great. We hear that the suites are cozy yet spacious, cute without kitsch, with modern furnishings and family-style hospitality.
The Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel staff pours their all into making guest experiences exceptional, from comfortable beds to friendly concierge service, and there's no chance that we will settle for "not bad." While we respect your description of your experience, we’re disappointed that we did not get the chance to share our passion for this hotel and the happiness of every guest. If you have occasion to visit this area again, please reach out to us and we promise to improve your opinion.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have mixed feelings on our stay. We had a two-bedroom suite. The attraction of the suite was the spacious living room/dining room area. This area was nicely furnished – perfectly fit our needs. The bedrooms were also nice. In addition, the location of the Inn is great!
We checked in with a happy cheerful staff. We needed a rollaway bed, which was provided very quickly. (I feel that I should note that my daughter did move to the couch in the night because she found the rollaway bed very uncomfortable).

The issue we had is that the night of our arrival we checked in then walked to dinner. I was with my younger daughter and my 87-year-old mother in law. When we got back to the suite around 10:00, it was chilly in the unit - 68 degrees. I turned the heat on in my mother in law's room - nothing happened. Tried turning on the other units - nothing happened. At this point, my mother in law is fully clothed , wrapped in a blanket because she is cold. My concern was that as the temperature outside drops, so will the temperature inside – making for a cold morning.
I called the desk, was told several times someone would come up to help us. We were very tired and just wanted to go to bed. The third call I made to the desk was to find out the eta on the help and if it was too late, just go on to bed and hope the temperature did not drop too much. Well, the joke was on us. This time someone different answered the phone and told us the he did not know why we were told that help was on its way – everyone else had gone home. I have to say – this REALLY ticked me off. We had an early start the next day so the time spent waiting for NOTHING was inexcusable. We should have least received a courtesy call to let us know that there would be no help!
This person, however, did come up, could not get the heat on but did get us extra blankets. Luckily, the heat came on during the night. When I called the desk to let them know that we were good, they seemed to have no knowledge of the problem. Did they do something to make the heat come on or was it luck? Could we have spent the whole weekend freezing? I have to say, I am very surprised that we never heard from anyone at the hotel about the incident. I wonder if they respond to all issues by ignoring them and hoping that they will go away.
Additionally, the building is very noisy. Both building noises and people going up and down the stairs and talking in the halls helped to keep us awake.
While I loved the living space and the location is perfect, I am not sure that I will risk staying here again. But on paper, it is the perfect spot!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hello dasyWill, thank you for giving your time and energy to write a review of your stay with us! We really appreciate your kind words about our perfect location, comfy furnishings, and friendly front desk. We also deeply appreciate that you've informed us of a serious communication failure on the part of our front desk staff. You are absolutely correct that you should have received more timely and accurate information about the assistance of our maintenance staff.

Upon review, it appears that a member of our maintenance staff did indeed go into the basement of your building to confirm that the heating was properly calibrated to heat up in the evening. Unfortunately, the facts that a) the central heating was in good order and b) the maintenance staffer did not have to enter your suite to confirm this was not properly communicated to you and the next shift of front desk staffers. It's entirely understandable that without being informed of this work, you would have no confidence in our response to your concerns. We are very sorry for the diminished quality of your stay-- we want everyone to enjoy a great night's sleep with us, and we fell far short on your behalf.

We will be working with our entire staff to strengthen internal communication, and to stress how essential it is that every guest concern receives the attention and followthrough it deserves. Please reach out to our management team so we can address your payment. Between the parts of our suites that you did enjoy and the efforts we are making to improve your service, I hope that we can earn your trust for another visit!
Bridgeport, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Very happy with our stay here. Suite was and spacious and spotless. The beds and bedding were extremely comfortable - even the roll-away cot was a winner. Super convenient to a variety of neighborhoods and to several bus lines. Wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting PGH.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony overlooking 5th Avenue!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable stay for my husband, mother and me while we attended a college sporting event and visited family in Pittsburgh. Walked two short blocks to Walnut Street shopping, off street parking. Very spacious and clean.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The Shadyside Inn Suites was a terrific choice for my sisters and myself. The courteous, helpful staff made our stay even better. They were helpful for transportation and getting discount coupons for museums AND making good recommendations for restaurants and activities.
The apartment was very homey and well equipped. The shuttle service made getting around town very easy.
I would recommend this property unequivocally and would definitely stay here again if I were to return to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Jackson, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have stayed in over 30 different hotels in the Pittsburgh area, and this is without a doubt my favorite! This is as close to home as it gets!
I checked in on a slow night, so ended up getting an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. The suite featured a HUGE living/dining space. It had a full size kitchen table with 6 wooden chairs. Full Comfy Couch with matching love seat and oversized chair. Fully equipped with over 200 comcast channels, dvd/cd player. Full sized kitchen with gas stove, Full sized refrigerator, all stainless steel appliances. Ice already made in ice trays in freezer. Whole suite was hardwood floors with fluffy black rugs. Huge beautiful and comfortable king bed, Large dresser with mirror on top. Twin bed in the other bed room. All rooms had nice ceiling fans. Kind of a small bathroom but had plenty of shelves inside. Each room has its own closet, there is a hallway closet and 4 other storage areas located in the living room near the door.
Suite is located in small attached buildings. Each entrance to each little building is secluded with bushes and overhanging umbrella. You receive 3 keys when you check it, one key will get you into your building, one key to the door handle to room, one key for the dead bolt to the room.
Parking is by permit only, but there was plenty of on street parking for guests. Located near walnut street which makes restaurants, bars, and shopping within walking distance.
Love this hotel!