“Another perfect stay!!!”

Ranked #21 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Russell, Pennsylvania
“Another perfect stay!!!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is my second time staying at the Shadyside Inn Suites. Love the goodie bag you get when you arrive that has muffins, juices, candy and crackers! Lots of parking, an easy walk to shops and restaurants. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hello Aimless58,

Thanks for providing feedback on your visit. Nothing makes us feel better about what we are doing than the validation of a guest who comes back for a repeat visit. We strive to make Shadyside Inn the best possible hotel we can be and we are committed to improving everyday. I am glad you liked the gift bag. Its nice to have a few snacks to start off your visit and we love surprising our guests with this small show of appreciation. We all look forward to having you as our guest again and we promise to keep making everything you love about us even better!

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Shadyside Inn is very close to Carnegie Mellon, which is perfect if that is what you are in town for. We stayed in a mansion suite, which was comfortable and worked for us for the weekend. It could use a little TLC, the bedrooms and bathrooms were clean, but the whole suite felt a tad rundown. There is a full working kitchen which was great to use and be able to store some food and snacks. My main issue was with a person I talked to before hand at the front desk counter. I called to ask about their pet policy (they allow small dogs) and then informed her that we had not for sure decided whether we would be taking our small dog with us. To this statement she advised me "to not try and sneak in a dog because they would find out"... huh? Not the best thing to say to a customer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi flankthree,

Thanks for being our guest and sharing your experience. I want to touch upon something in your review to clarify our policy and try and educate others. First let me apologize if there was a misunderstanding before you checked in from our front desk. From your review it looks like we did not handle explaining our dog policy clearly. Shadyside Inn loves dogs, so much so that we co-founded a an animal rescue charity called PAART. Over the years we have always maintained a liberal dog policy at the hotel. All we ask is that people let us know so we can prepare and so we can schedule a deep cleaning after they depart. The wording our front desk used made it seem harsh and I apologize if you got that impression. That was not our intention. We are planning to retrain staff to better handle this kind of exchange. I am glad you did end up bringing your dog and I hope the doggie enjoyed the space! Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Very clean, quite, fully equipped and well maintained suites (kitchenette, two TVs, Wi-Fi, heating and air conditioning...). Located at the center of Oakland, walking distance from Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, Museum of Art, etc. And most importantly - very friendly and amazingly helpful staff!

I made a mistake with my reservation and was one night short. Although they were fully booked, they let me stay in their demonstration suite for no charge! They also loan bikes and supply free shuttle services - everything you need to easily get around an unfamiliar place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Shay Z,

Thanks for sharing you experience with our hotel. I am happy that we were able to accommodate you for your extra night. Thankfully the weather has finally turned around here in Pittsburgh and we are in biking season! We bought a whole new fleet of bikes over the winter and we are eager to have our guests take them out. It is such a great way to get around the neighborhood and really helps guests orient themselves. Best of all, its free! We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Take Care,

North Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We were here last weekend to visit our son at CMU. The location was perfect for us, close to our son's apartment and a few blocks from Walnut street, full of shops and eateries. A truly great location.
The staff was friendly and extremely welcoming. Our one bedroom apartment was extremely clean and comfortable. I would recommend it to any one. I can't emphasize enough how friendly everyone was, from front desk to housekeeping, it was perfect! We'll definitely stay here next time. You can't go wrong.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hey cindyldoe,

Thanks for providing your feedback. If I could pick the best thing about our hotel its our staff. We are lucky to have team members who are both passionate about the hotel and committed to making every guest feels welcomed and a part of our family. Our central location in relation to the Universities, the Hospital, and upscale shopping are great as well but the true measure of a place is the people. Thank you for recognizing that.

Clarksburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Previously I had stayed at the Shadyside Inn for almost 8 weeks at the beginning of the year due to my brother receiving a lung transplant at nearby Presby Hospital. During that stay, it was such a relief to be able to come back to a place that had all the comforts of home in which you could truly relax and rest. It made such a difference that you can't explain to stay in a 2 bedroom suite with a living room, kitchen and Dining area as opposed to a one room hotel room in which you are unable to truly feel at home and you had to worry about reservations, check out, making sure you eat before the restaurant closes, whether or not there would be rooms due to football, hockey or basketball season. Also the location of Shadyside is very convenient to many area hospitals and the ability to have a shuttle to transport and pick you up instead of driving is also a nice service.
This past weekend, I returned to Shadyside Inn for a one night girls getaway. Even from the moment that I checked in, I quickly was reminded why I love staying here so much. Bridgett greeted me and took the time to ask about the health of my brother and how my mother was doing. Rarely do you find a place in which the staff remembers the guests and takes time to show they truly care. The man who took my reservation also was thoughtful enough to check and reserve the room I had previously stayed in. Making me feel as if I was coming back home. The room was very clean and Janelle did an excellent job of preparing the room. My friend was impressed with the care and concern by the staff and their friendliness. Even the small welcome gift bag is a nice touch to making guests feel welcomed. I will return any chance I can get!!!!! Thank You Shadyside Inn!!!!!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suite is very roomy. The seperate bedrooms allows for privacy unlike a normal hotel ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello MilysaS,

Thanks for telling others about your experience at Shadyside Inn. The staff was happy to see you again and I am glad we were able to get you back into your previous suite. Nothing is more stressful than caring for a sick loved one, especially when you have to travel to a different city to receive treatment. I am happy we were able to provide you with a sanctuary during this period. I am also glad you got to return for your girls weekend and enjoy Shadyside under much better circumstances. On behalf of all of us we wish your family good health and a speedy recovery.

All the best,

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The staff at Shadyside Inn were very nice and hospitable, but know that there is no sense of luxury at this inn. Our "Mansion Suite" is not in a mansion, rather an old house on a middle income street. Although the apt. is okay, I feel deceived. It reminds me of my first apt. Out of grad school when in was 24. Its fine and clean, even updated (partially) but all of the decor is recognizable as having come from Target & Ikea. My house is much nicer, so I am paying nearly $200/night to stay in a place that is not as nice as my house. The location of the inn is great, close proximity to Walnut St. And the bed is comfy. Not a bad place, just know what you're getting.

• Stayed March 2014
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Hello lwsimon,

Thank you for your feedback. Your experience has caused us to reflect on how we can improve our service in order to avoid not living up to expectations. You see we live and breathe the hotel. Our staff is always trying to give our customers the best value possible. That commitment goes into everything we do and is the backbone of our philosophy.

The suite you were staying in, Kentucky 2, is a suite that as you noticed was recently renovated. In fact, it was finished a week and half ago. You were the second guest to stay in that suite. The suite is unique in that we decided to test our some new design ideas. When we posted pics of the suite on social media and our website the response was overwhelmingly positive. We have over 100 suites. Only 11 of them are what we all Mansion Suites. The name was given for the first building we converted into these private residential style suites. Since then, we have converted 2 homes in Shadyside, Pittsburgh's premier upscale neighborhood. The concept is that these suites are very private and setup with more exciting designs. If you look on our website you will notice that no one is alike. They are all unique in their approach and their intended use. While not everyones taste is the same, we tried to give a variety of designs to suit any guest. The best feature we feel is their value. They are all priced less than a typical hotel room in Shadyside.

lwsimon, it was never our intention to try and deceive you. We try and maintain as transparent of an operation as possible. The Mansion Suites have their own dedicated web site which showcase each suite with lots of pictures and floor plans. We are travelers as well and nothing upsets us more than not getting what you see on the website. We don't use professional photography, we shoot the suites when we finish designing them and post them on our website. We use a variety of sources for furniture, artwork, and knick knacks. If something fits the design idea we are trying to achieve we don't worry about where it came from. If its good design and good quality we will use it.

We take your choice to use our hotel very seriously lwsimon. I hope that you can understand that we will do whatever it takes to make your opinion of us change. I urge you to come back and try out another one of our Mansion Suites. I am sure we have something that will connect with your needs. Please contact me directly so I can arrange for you to try us again.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Loved Shadyside Inn.Normally stay at the Marriott down the street but it was booked up. My cousin who lives in Bloomfield suggested Shadyside Inn. Much more cozy and cleaner than the Marriott. The staff was great as well as the service. The bus line runs right past and you can go anywhere in the city for $2.50.Sorry Marriott but I won't be back. Take some time and walk down to Walnut street. Many shops to see.Rodeo Drive of Pittsburgh.

• Stayed March 2014
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hello Doughboy1959,

Thanks for providing feedback here on your stay at Shadyside Inn. Being less than two blocks from Walnut Street is one of our favorite amenities. With the likes of the Apple Store, Lululemon, J.Crew, and Banana Republic as well as upscale independent boutiques, Walnut Street really is the Rodeo Drive of Pittsburgh. As you experienced, being within such a close proximity really makes quick trips to shop, dine, and find entertainment as easy as a five minute walk. The bus line runs right at our front door making transportation around Pittsburgh a breeze. Uber and Lyft have the highest concentration of drivers right in our neighborhood and our free shuttle will take you wherever you need to go within 3 miles of the hotel. I am glad you found us!