“Older but Unique”

Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
State College, Pennsylvania
“Older but Unique”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

This place is definitely geared towards those who need an extended stay. Especially if you need something near hospital. Yes the building is older but my room was as neat as a pin and very spacious. To make phone calls.
The front desk/lobby is located in one of the first floor suites. Everyone behind the desk was very friendly and helpful. I even received a small gift bag at check-in full of little snacks and treats!
Offstreet parking is available and they will even store your luggage for you should you arrive early for check-in.
The only problem I had during my stay was lack of cell phone service, which they said occasionally happens with older buildings. So I had to stand outside in the courtyard to make a call. So this may be disconcerting to those who need to keep in close contact with others.

• Stayed May 2014
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello carolsZ8065HD,

Thanks for your feedback here. We are happy to have made a positive impression on you and value hearing about your experience. Some of the phone carriers have a less than ideal coverage in Shadyside. Over the years the service has improved and we hope that in the very near future there will be additional cellular sites added to the region. We look forward to having you again in the future and appreciate your business.

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was in town for business at CMU. They sent me a list of recommended accommodations and Shadyside was at the top. I typically like boutique hotels, and this seemed like a winner. When I arrived it was pouring rain and oppressively humid. I schlepped my bag from the parking lot for a long walk to the lobby in the rain. There is a flight of narrow stairs to reach the lobby. They then informed me that I would be in Building F across the street. They provided a cookie and a welcome bag with some nice treats. Back out into the rain for me, to drive across the street in the usual evening traffic, and again pull my bag through the rain into the side door (not convenient to the parking area). The elevator was working albeit slowly (and steadily per the sign inside). When I got to the room, the door was stuck - it fit very tightly as it seemed to have many layers of paint on it. The room was okay, I guess, but the hardwood floor was squeeky, the room echoed every word and the gas stove in the kitchen would rattle every time I walked around. It had a view of the alley and concrete apron next to the building. The bathroom was old and small, with some cracked tile and a lot of caulking. The towel racks were painted wrought iron. I settled down to work, and the wifi was in and out several times. Finally, I decided this was not the business hotel that I needed, and asked to check out before staying the night. The staff was nice about it and gave me a full refund. I am wondering if maybe the rooms in the main building are a little better. But I have trouble understanding why CMU would recommend this hotel. Perhaps for a grad student on a budget, but not a business traveller. I moved to the Marriott Courtyard down the street for about $30 more, and a world away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hello jbldr,

Thanks for your feedback. First let me apologize for your subpar visit. Your experience is far from the normal guest experience and we are all very troubled by your account. I understand the front desk offered to move you to a different suite. We have 6 different suite types and I am sure an upgrade to different suite type would have exceeded your expectations. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us prevent these kinds of issues in the future. We have hosted business travelers for the past 30 years with great success and hope to earn back your business in the future. On behalf of everyone at the hotel I want to again offer our sincere apology and would like to extend an invitation to you to try us again in the future.

arnold, md
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Shadyside Inn is in a convenient walking distance to Carnegie Mellon. The staff is always friendly and willing to go out of the way to help. The rooms are spacious and we love that we can bring our little dog so our daughter can visit with her when she's away at college. My only gripe is the parking. The spaces are about the tightest I've ever seen which might be okay if every car centered in their spot. When was the last time you saw that happen?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hi lisa_c,

Thanks for providing feedback on your stay. As animal lovers we understand that its hard to leave the pets at home which is why we try and be as pet friendly as possible. I am happy that your daughter got to spend time with the doggie. There are a number of pet friendly shops on Walnut Street and a great dog park a few blocks away from the hotel. Next time you are in the area be sure to check them out.

We strongly believe that packing should be free when staying at a hotel. In order to keep free parking we have to rely on our guests to be courteous to others when they park. Sometimes the lots can get full which is why we purchased a secondary lot across the street. We urge our guests to use the second lot if space is a concern. We have updated the information in our guest books as well as on the parking permit to orient guests to using the second parking lot. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your business and we can't wait to see you again in the future.

Jonathan Plesset
nj
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Shadyside Inn's proximity to Carnegie Mellon and Walnut Street can't be beat. Yes, parking can be tight, and the bathroom is a bit dated, but other than that, the beds are comfortable, the location is ideal and the front desk is incredibly helpful.

We checked in late on a Thursday night, and the kids were thrilled with the welcome bags they received + the fresh cookies in the main office. This is not your typical hotel, but rather an apartment style stay that allows you to spread out and not feel like you're on top of each other.

Can't say enough good things about the accommodating front desk staff (umbrellas for when it rains!), and just overall how much we enjoyed our stay. Will definitely stay again when back in the burgh, and highly recommend to anyone who is visiting CMU/Pitt/etc..

Room Tip: ask for a room in A/B/C/D building (main facility). a balcony room in one of those buildings would...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello da_jm,

Thank you for your feedback. In Real Estate the three keys are location, location, location. We have had that covered from the start. In the hotel business the three keys we employ for success is Staff, Staff, Staff. Our guests are family. There is nothing we won't do to try and make your stay with us special. While no hotel is perfect, we maintain that at the very least, to never leave a guest feeling like we didn't go the extra mile. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and will work even harder to improve our guest's experience. The whole staff looks forward to hosting your family again in the future.

Charlemont, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Shadyside Inn is a great idea. Refurbish old apartments into suites. There is plenty of room and quiet space. The welcoming package was a nice touch. The picky complaint is that things are getting shabby around the edges. The bathtub wasn't clean. There was no sugar and creamer to go with the motel coffee. The bed seems to have many miles on it.

The flat screen TV is fine, WIFI works. The kitchen is complete (except for the coffee service). The location is great. We found a bar with a fine happy hour which left us, well, happy!

Time to send management in to check the suites and do some repair and replacement. Then, all with be right again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi ijg1018,

Thanks for your feedback. We are thrilled that you found our concept so appealing. The unique blend of huge residential-style suites with our unparalleled location equals a winning formula for our guests. Over the past two years we have been upgrading every aspect of the hotel. One item we have put off is the in-suite coffee brand. The reasoning is that we have 4 coffee shops in our neighborhood and free coffee in the lobby. We don't see much demand anymore for that option. Perhaps we will revisit our choice of brand for the in-room option. In April of last year we upgraded all of our beds to medium firmness pillow top mattresses. Perhaps the bed was too soft for you. We have foam inserts that we can use upon request if a guest likes a stiffer option.

We would be happy to host you again in the future and get your take on all of the new things we are in the process of deploying. Please feel free to contact me personally the next time you are in the area so I can meet you and provide you with a proper cup of coffee!!!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Shadyside is such a fun location! The suites are walking distance to Walnut street with great shopping and dining. We always stay at the Shadyside Suites when we are in Pittsburgh. It so much nicer than a generic hotel room. We love having a fully equipped kitchen with dining and living space. The staff is very attentive and they can help you find your way around the burgh. We got discount tickets for the zoo from the front desk on our last visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hello Cheryl Q,

Thank you for the feedback. Our favorite form of praise is from our repeat guests. We strive to provide a consistent expereince and your experience as a multi-stay guest helps reinforce the importance we place on this to our staff. We are thrilled to have you back and we are happy to be your go to place in Pittsburgh. Next time you are here ask about some of the other discounted tickets we offer. I suggest taking a stroll down to the Carnegie Museum. The dinosaur exhibit is really incredible. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Oakland,ca
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent a night here in April on a college tour. The suite was perfect for our needs, with lots of space to spread out after being cramped in much more expensive rooms in other cities. The staff were incredibly helpful, and we really appreciated the free shuttle to the CMU campus. The hotel is also in a great part of town, with Walnut Street restaurants and shops nearby. There's no gym in the hotel, but we did get a free pass to an expansive local gym which is 10 minutes walk away. I'd thoroughly recommend the Shadyside.

Room Tip: The rooms in the A,B,C buildings are close to the office
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi Richard_in_Oakland,

Thanks for your feedback. I am happy that you recognized the value in our suites vs the standard hotel room. It is refreshing when traveling to stay somewhere that feels more like a small home. Our proximity to the upscale shopping and dining in Shadyside is huge benefit to our guests. In addition to the gym you visited, Walnut Street also features a couple of Yoga and Pilates studios. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Next time you visit ask about our free bike borrowing.

Thanks