“Great place in a great location”

Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Great place in a great location”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great place. The suite was comfortable, the beds were very good, service friendly and efficient, location wonderful.You are close to colleges and universities, the Carnegie Museum, and lots of nice shops, bars, and cafes. The photographs decorating the place are especially nice. My one criticism is that the bathroom could have been bigger.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello DanielE15,

Thanks for your feedback on your visit with us. We were thrilled to see your feedback and were happy that we were able to hit on all the points we strive to offer; location, comfort, and a friendly staff. When we were redecorated last year we were all pushing to use black and white photography instead of the typical hotel art. Some of the pics we used were photographs we actually took and had enlarged. We had a tremendous amount of fun coming up with these photos and I am happy you noticed and appreciated them. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Let us know if there is anything special we can do for you upon your return.

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Cranford
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I spent five nights here while visiting our daughter who lives in Pittsburgh.
We stayed in Building F in a second floor suite. The room was spacious. The kitchen while small was easy to use. We cooked dinner one night. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The first night I was having trouble using the TV. I called the staff and someone came right away and solved my problem. Our only complaint was the people using the room above us were a little noisy. We could hear them walking around. When I checked out I told the staff and they said I should have told them. Too bad that I didn't.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello Nelson D,

Thank you for your business and great feedback. Our staff is eager to help make your stay amazing so please don't hesitate to call us anytime. We like nothing more than an opportunity to help a guest. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our full kitchens. There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within two miles of the hotel and our free shuttle takes guests there for grocery shopping trips. We also have a wonderful high-end market two blocks from the hotel. We all look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Chicago suburb
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights, while visiting our children and grandchildren in Pittsburgh. The service was incredible, beginning with the accommodating and gracious reception, where we received a hospitality bag as if we were wedding guests. The suite was enormous, immaculate, beautiful, well appointed, and overlooked a beautiful courtyard on either side. The only downside was personal – we wanted to be able to walk to our children's apartment, which was a bit over a mile away. However, nature prevented that, there being an enormous hill between the hotel and her children's department. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Fussytraveler-7
Hello Fussytraveler-7,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback on your stay. Our beautiful large suites almost always surprise people, especially those who are accustomed to typical smaller hotel rooms. The next time you are here please take advantage of our free shuttle service which can take you within three miles of the hotel and more importantly to and from our other locations. Now that it is summertime guests also use our free bikes to go in between buildings. We sincerely appreciate your business and would love to have you return again in the future.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

This place is definitely geared towards those who need an extended stay. Especially if you need something near hospital. Yes the building is older but my room was as neat as a pin and very spacious. To make phone calls.
The front desk/lobby is located in one of the first floor suites. Everyone behind the desk was very friendly and helpful. I even received a small gift bag at check-in full of little snacks and treats!
Offstreet parking is available and they will even store your luggage for you should you arrive early for check-in.
The only problem I had during my stay was lack of cell phone service, which they said occasionally happens with older buildings. So I had to stand outside in the courtyard to make a call. So this may be disconcerting to those who need to keep in close contact with others.

• Stayed May 2014
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello carolsZ8065HD,

Thanks for your feedback here. We are happy to have made a positive impression on you and value hearing about your experience. Some of the phone carriers have a less than ideal coverage in Shadyside. Over the years the service has improved and we hope that in the very near future there will be additional cellular sites added to the region. We look forward to having you again in the future and appreciate your business.

Boulder, CO
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was in town for business at CMU. They sent me a list of recommended accommodations and Shadyside was at the top. I typically like boutique hotels, and this seemed like a winner. When I arrived it was pouring rain and oppressively humid. I schlepped my bag from the parking lot for a long walk to the lobby in the rain. There is a flight of narrow stairs to reach the lobby. They then informed me that I would be in Building F across the street. They provided a cookie and a welcome bag with some nice treats. Back out into the rain for me, to drive across the street in the usual evening traffic, and again pull my bag through the rain into the side door (not convenient to the parking area). The elevator was working albeit slowly (and steadily per the sign inside). When I got to the room, the door was stuck - it fit very tightly as it seemed to have many layers of paint on it. The room was okay, I guess, but the hardwood floor was squeeky, the room echoed every word and the gas stove in the kitchen would rattle every time I walked around. It had a view of the alley and concrete apron next to the building. The bathroom was old and small, with some cracked tile and a lot of caulking. The towel racks were painted wrought iron. I settled down to work, and the wifi was in and out several times. Finally, I decided this was not the business hotel that I needed, and asked to check out before staying the night. The staff was nice about it and gave me a full refund. I am wondering if maybe the rooms in the main building are a little better. But I have trouble understanding why CMU would recommend this hotel. Perhaps for a grad student on a budget, but not a business traveller. I moved to the Marriott Courtyard down the street for about $30 more, and a world away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hello jbldr,

Thanks for your feedback. First let me apologize for your subpar visit. Your experience is far from the normal guest experience and we are all very troubled by your account. I understand the front desk offered to move you to a different suite. We have 6 different suite types and I am sure an upgrade to different suite type would have exceeded your expectations. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us prevent these kinds of issues in the future. We have hosted business travelers for the past 30 years with great success and hope to earn back your business in the future. On behalf of everyone at the hotel I want to again offer our sincere apology and would like to extend an invitation to you to try us again in the future.

arnold, md
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Shadyside Inn is in a convenient walking distance to Carnegie Mellon. The staff is always friendly and willing to go out of the way to help. The rooms are spacious and we love that we can bring our little dog so our daughter can visit with her when she's away at college. My only gripe is the parking. The spaces are about the tightest I've ever seen which might be okay if every car centered in their spot. When was the last time you saw that happen?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hi lisa_c,

Thanks for providing feedback on your stay. As animal lovers we understand that its hard to leave the pets at home which is why we try and be as pet friendly as possible. I am happy that your daughter got to spend time with the doggie. There are a number of pet friendly shops on Walnut Street and a great dog park a few blocks away from the hotel. Next time you are in the area be sure to check them out.

We strongly believe that packing should be free when staying at a hotel. In order to keep free parking we have to rely on our guests to be courteous to others when they park. Sometimes the lots can get full which is why we purchased a secondary lot across the street. We urge our guests to use the second lot if space is a concern. We have updated the information in our guest books as well as on the parking permit to orient guests to using the second parking lot. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your business and we can't wait to see you again in the future.

Jonathan Plesset
nj
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Shadyside Inn's proximity to Carnegie Mellon and Walnut Street can't be beat. Yes, parking can be tight, and the bathroom is a bit dated, but other than that, the beds are comfortable, the location is ideal and the front desk is incredibly helpful.

We checked in late on a Thursday night, and the kids were thrilled with the welcome bags they received + the fresh cookies in the main office. This is not your typical hotel, but rather an apartment style stay that allows you to spread out and not feel like you're on top of each other.

Can't say enough good things about the accommodating front desk staff (umbrellas for when it rains!), and just overall how much we enjoyed our stay. Will definitely stay again when back in the burgh, and highly recommend to anyone who is visiting CMU/Pitt/etc..

Room Tip: ask for a room in A/B/C/D building (main facility). a balcony room in one of those buildings would...