“Just what we needed”

Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Alexandria
“Just what we needed”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We were in town for my son's interview at CMU and Shadyside Inn was just what we needed. From the moment we arrived, with the very generous treat bag (muffins, juices, crackers, Rice Krispie treats, and more!), the staff were fantastic. Spacious and comfortable, it's like your home away from home. We liked how we could easily walk back and forth to the campus and that, just a few blocks away, was a small restaurant area with lots of variety. Just beware that this property does not have elevators, so if stairs are difficult for you, ask if you can have a room on the lower level (I think the hotel may have previously been a small apartment complex). If our son ends up enrolling at CMU, I know where we will be staying when we come to visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi CyrusMoo,

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that our staff made such a positive impression on you. We take pride in making guests feel like they are a part of our family. We hope you son chooses CMU so we can see you again sometime. Just so you know, only one of our main properties does not have an elevator. The other two do. For guests who need one, the location right across the street from the front desk has an elevator as does the property on Negley Avenue. We have you covered! If there is anything special we can do for your next visit please don't hesitate to contact us.

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at the Kentucky Avenue location, just a minutes walk from the main
building. Very clean, spacious suit.
Desk staff could not have been more helpful or friendly and we will definitely
stay here again when in Pittsburgh.
Could have done without the repair guy working outside as early as he did,
but everyone has a job to do.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Kevin M,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed one of our Signature Suites. My apologies for the workman in the morning. We have been upgrading the key system at the building and needed to make a quick alteration. We would love to have you visit again in the future. If there is anything anyone here at the hotel can do to make your next visit special please don't hesitate to let us know.

Everett, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed at this property due to it's location being close to UPMC Shadyside. Entire property is flawless. Staff is top notch. They go out of their way to accommodate shuttle service, house keeping, etc. Absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: Second bedroom has a single bed. I asked for a cot and moved it up against the single bed to make a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi cpbink428,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay! We are thrilled to see that we left a positive impression on you. Being so close to UPMC Shadyside is a bonus for our guests. While we never like to see anyone need to go to the hospital, we are glad we can play a small part in trying to make the experience a little less stressful. I am happy you picked up upon our policy to go to whatever lengths necessary to help a guest. It is the number one rule at the hotel. We hope to see you again on a future trip and we hope everything went well at the hospital.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have never taken the time to review ANYTHING online but I feel very strongly about this place and want to take the time to review how wonderful it was. My 5 year old son had to undergo 2 days of testing at Children's Hospital. We put off making any hotel reservations because I didn't want to think about it. My husband knew from visiting his relative in the hospital that there was a courtyard Marriott so I checked that out first. It was $209 a night and the reviews were just ok. I thought that was steep but NEEDED to book something. I started the process and mid way into it I saw there was a daily parking charge around $18 per day. For me this was a deal breaker, so I decided to turn to google to see what else was in the area. I came upon the Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel. I looked at the pictures and read the reviews. The pictures were lovely and the reviews were very positive. I thought it sounded too good to be true. I wondered how I could get basically a 2 bedroom apartment for cheaper than a hotel room!?!? But it was much cheaper and no parking fee plus it really met our needs because we were traveling with 3 adults and a child. We booked a 2 bedroom. I was going to take an air mattress for my 5 year old but to my surprise I had the option of a FREE rollaway bed!! I was ecstatic. There were also other options for some free amenities like cribs but we didn't need anything else. I knew this place was special as soon as we checked in. We were greeted by a very friendly man and woman who were very knowledgable about the area and were excited to give us tips, suggestions and recommendations which were much appreciated. We were offered cold bottles of water, cookies and given a gift bag. We were also given a greeting card sized pamphlet that had great concise info about the area and was VERY helpful. When I mentioned we were there for a hospital trip she informed me that we get an even better rate!!! I think the hospital rate was $143. So we found our room on the second floor. There was no elevator but this didn't matter to us in the least. At check in they offered to have staff carry our belongings to the room but we declined as we didn't have much. We were so pleased when we stepped into the room! The decor was modern and just to my liking. Everything was very clean. The kitchen was very well stocked. Probably above and beyond. I've rented 5 bedroom beach houses in New Jersey and 10 bedroom houses in Florida that had less to cook with than this little kitchette!! There was a nice stock of paper towels, soap, toilet paper, tissues and towels. The beds and pillows (i always travel with my own but decided to leave it packed!!) were very comfy-even the rollaway too! And speaking of the rollaway it was actually in the room when we arrived!!! I have never had a special request met BEFORE I checked in! In fact as I was walking to the room I said to my husband, "they didn't say anything about the rollaway so we will probably have to call and get it." Any other hotel I've requested anything I have had to make multiple calls to the front desk and spend valuable time waiting for someone to bring the request. My 5 year old said "this is the best day ever because this hotel is so awesome!" As we walked around on walnut street (awesome too!) he kept nagging us to go back to the "awesome hotel"!!! The goody bag was so delightful and had orange juice, apple juice, life saver mints, chocolates, peanut butter crackers and blueberry muffins in it!! Awesome surprise after 3 hours of traveling! Another AMAZING touch was a good sized fruit basket with a large package of pepperidge farm cookies. There was a ton of fruit of ALL varieties. It was accompanied by a hand written note welcoming us and giving us contact info if we needed anything at all. I really can't say enough about this hotel experience. I don't know if I can go back to a traditional hotel/hotel room. They have set the standard for me! I really felt they cared about their guests, and guest satisfaction and comfort were their top priorities. It's a great business model. They must take great time and effort in hiring employees because everyone was top notch! This was a great experience during a stressful time for us which was appreciated much more than the staff will ever know. I will definitely be raving about this hotel to anyone who will listen and I will definitely stay there when I come back to the area!!!

1 Thank Travelingpac
Hello Travelingpac,

First let me say that I hope everything went well with your son's testing. Children's Hospital is one of the best in the country. You are definitely in the right city. Your review and account of your experience at our hotel is exactly what we strive to see. All of the "blood, sweat, and tears" that go into running a hotel is worth it when we see this kind of feedback. The entire staff has read this review and everyone has a huge smile on their face. We take our guests satisfaction to heart. Everyday is a new opportunity to put ourselves in a position to be the best. On behalf of the entire crew here at Shadyside Inn I want to thank your support, your kind words, and your patronage.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have stayed here many times since our daughter moved to Pittsburgh 5 years ago. Staying at the Shadyside Inn has consistently been outstanding in all areas over this time. This stay the office staff went beyond to accommodate us after being held up in Pittsburgh traffic at checkout time. Excellent customer service, great lodgings wonderful location!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hello Tina4947,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The best form of feedback is from a repeat guest. I am thrilled that you have had a constitently great experience over the last 5 years. This past weekend there was a lot of activity in Pittsburgh. I am sorry that you got stuck in traffic but I am happy our staff was able to make everything work out. We will look forward to having you as a guest again in the future!

Columbus OH
Reviewed 10 July 2014

they are almost perfect because they don't really CLEAN the entire suite. The kitchen sink , eating utensils and the coffee maker were badly soiled, I cleaned them before use. The staff is very friendly, so friendly you are awaken every morning by them laughing in the courtyard. I really did not appreciate this and called with a concern and the very same thing happened the next day! Please note, you may be staying in the same building as college students, which can be noisy. The area of location is ideal for walking and the shops on Walnut are fun, stay away from Cappy's Grille, we nicknamed it Crappys. We wish they had a transport that went further than 3 miles, however, it was not a real issue. Would I stay here again, absolutely.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hello momma56,

Thank you for your review and we are happy to have had you as our guest. We serve a wide range of customers from professionals, to people in entertainment, families, and business execs. I am sorry if a younger guest disturbed you. In the future just call our office and someone will on our end will see to it that you are no longer disturbed. It is true that our staff is incredibly happy and upbeat. We try and foster a positive work environment but never to the point of disturbing a guest. I apologize if you someone on our team disturbed you. We will make sure to remind them to keep the noise down. We can't wait to have you again as our guest and if there is anything special we can do for you upon your return please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We found about them after a few stays at the courtyard Marriott... And it has been the best option since then, when visiting Pittsburgh. Really is home away from home. Front desk personnel very nice, they give you a bag with juices and goodies. Daily cleaning... Only wish for a bigger bed in the master room...

Hello EMedina19,

We are thrilled that you found out about us. Our concept is to go beyond the ordinary hotel room and offer our customers a place that they would be happy to call home. Our residential-style suites are a welcome change for our guests and we are happy to be able to offer this solution in such a great location. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Take Care.

Thanks