“Fine for A Night, But A Weak Value”

MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #40 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fine for A Night, But A Weak Value”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

After scoring a nice one-night stay in downtown Pittsburgh at a swanky hotel, we wound up paying the same for this flea bag the next night.

It doesn't pull any punches. It's your average family-suite traveling place. There's just nothing that great about it. It's convenient to the airport, but not convenient for much of anything in Pittsburgh.

Given the options in the area, I'm still surprised by the price. Yes, you are getting a kitchenette with your room, but this place isn't worth over $100 per night unless you are put into some sort of two-room suite with multiple beds.

The breakfast was fine, though; better than a continental one. I watched a fellow patron make a homemade McGriddle. I was both impressed and concerned.

It won't kill you to stay here for a night or two, just don't expect much. The rooms also haven't been updated in what at this point might actually be decades. I felt like I was using the kitchen in one of my crappy college haunts again.

On the plus side - if you want the wonders of suburban shopping, it's all at your fingertips just up one exit on 376 toward downtown. There's even an IKEA.

Grumpy staff, though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
William W, General Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
AnnlsEgg,
I am sorry we did not meet or exceed your expectations during your stay. We will be getting a renovation of the hotel starting late summer. I do hope you will give us another chance after our renovation is completed to give you a great experience. Thank you for your feedback.
Bill Walsh
Mainstay Suites Pittsburgh Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Martinsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had stayed here before so it seemed almost like coming home. One of the reasons we chose this hotel is for the shuttle to the airport and the fact that we can leave our car in their parking lot. This hotel is very clean and the people are very friendly. The lady who drove us to the airport was very nice also.
The continental breakfast was adequate for us. They had waffles, hard boiled eggs, toast, bagels, muffins, danish, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, and of course juice and coffee.
The room was quiet and had a stove, refrigerator, microwave, sink, etc. There were even dishes, pans, silverware to use if needed. We will probably stay here again.
The only con would be that we had to wait over an hour for the shutte to come to the airport to pick us up when we landed. We had to call them twice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I went apartment hunting with my friend. We stayed there for 3 days.
We called the Hotel from the airport and had a complementary shuttle pick us up to take us to the airport. When we arrived, they gave us a room that had not yet been cleaned. We called down stairs and right away they switched us to a clean room. The room was in great conditions, small kitchenette came in handy for storing snacks and warming up left over food.
T.V has a variety of channels to watch.

Continental breakfast is served daily: fruit, oatmeal, waffles, bread, juice, coffee, etc.

There bus stop is right outside the hotel, we caught the bus to visit the shopping center near by.

Right before we left, I was unable to find my tablet. We had a plane to catch but I left all my info at the front desk. The manager was gracious enough to call me to let me know they did a full search of the room and were unable to find it. Luckily my friend had packed it with all her paper work! Found it after we arrived home.

We had a great stay, the whole staff was super friendly. Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zoraida M
Erie, Pa
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was a last minute decision to say at this hotel, since I was going to be leaving my car at the airport. I call the hotel and inquired about leaving my car while on vacation and they said it would be fine, basically this hotel cost me $20.00 considering what I would have paid to park my car at the airport. The staff was very friendly, the room (2 doubles) was quite large. Beds weren't the most comfortable but that was ok. We shuttled off to the airport at 4:45 AM, called the hotel when we return and they took us right to our car. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back, second floor. Very quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'll admit I was a bit weary of staying here after reading some of these reviews but I would not hesitate to stay here again! Our check-in was quick and we signed up for the morning airport shuttle without issue. Both the evening and night staff were very helpful. The room was basic but was exactly what we needed- a decent place to stay one night and park our car for the week! I didn't have any problems with noise or bugs (I always check for bugs) that other reviewers had. The room had all the usual amenities and in addition was equipped with a kitchenette. It was nice to have a refrigerator to keep some snacks in as we were leaving very early before the breakfast. The only two "cons" I noticed were 1. A small patch in the ceiling above the shower and, 2. The bathroom faucet leaked a bit if turned on full blast. There was plenty of room in the bathroom and the hair dryer was adequate.The morning airport shuttle was quick and efficient, as was the return.
Overall, I had no complaints. We would definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in Pittsburgh!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to snow plow noise, a room facing away from the parking lot may be a good choic...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica L
Altoona, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2014

They tout this as an extended stay stay hotel . Neither of the stove burners worked. There were stink bugs everywhere, including a dead one inside a pillow in the bed! Was to be a smoking room, had to ask for an ashtray. The drawer with silverware was dirty. The hair dryer didn't work but staff brought one that did. The breakfast was typical, waffles, hard boiled eggs, muffins, nothing special. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Wouldn't want to be there for more than one night!

• Stayed January 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
salp214,
Thank you for writing and bringing your concerns to my attention. I sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of meeting your expectations. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. Please know your satisfaction is our highest priority and improvements will be made to ensure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will return to see our improvements.

Bill Walsh, General Manager
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2013

my wife and I have stayed here on a number of occasions. the location is great, only 1 exit down from all the shopping and dining that one could ask for. the breakfast is ok, waffle maker, donuts, etc. oatmeal was included this time but one of those traveling with my wife and I tried it and said it was only so-so. the biggest disappointment was that the volume did not work on at least 25% of the tv channels. i mentioned it at checkout an they said they were working on it, but did not say when the issue might be resolved. the kitchens are a bit scarce on dishes. overall a decent place to stay, but temper your expectations for a good experience, not a great one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan K
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Jonathan K,
Thank you for your review and continued patronage with us at MainStay Suites Pittsburgh Airport. We appreciate your feedback on opportunities for improvement and sincerely apologize that we were unable to exceed your expectations. Please know I have addressed your valuable comments with our staff in order to make improvements and provide a more positive stay. We value you as our guest and we hope you'll visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

Bill Walsh, General Manager