“Everything Great but the Price”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island
Ranked #45 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Everything Great but the Price”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had never stayed here before because it seemed so isolated from food, shopping and entertainment. However, even though it is situated on an island, it was very easy to jump on the Interstate and go to whevever we wanted. Pool was clean and warm. Breakfast was very good and included make-your-own waffles.
However,because I made reservations at the last minute, I called the front desk, which quoted me a price of $119 for what the clerk claimed was the last room. The clerk then transferred me to a central reservations number, where the agent was surprised at the low price, but confirmed it with the desk clerk, who called it a "walk-in" rate. I departed from home immediately after confirming the reservation with a credit card on the phone, However, upon arrival, the clerk (don't know if it was the same one) told me the price was $159, and when I checked the confirmation email on my iPhone it also said $159. Since I hadn't documented the name of the clerk who gave me the $119 rate, nor that of the central reservations agent, I had no way to prove I was quoted the lesser rate.
The problem with the rate didn't reduce the quality of our stay so I still recommend this hotel, but, as always, be sure to check your confirmation message.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PatP905
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear PatP905,

Thank you for your kind review and recommendation! I’m thrilled to know your stay was pleasant and we appreciate you choosing us. Your honest feedback regarding your reservation experience fosters positive change for future stays. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our entire team as they work hard to make our guests feel at home.

Meg Barron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Eastern US
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Room was clean. It is next the to interstate but I didn't notice traffic noise. The location was good for a "stop for the night"place but it does seem like there isn't a whole lot around. The area felt very safe though. The breakfast was standard hot hotel buffet fare (waffle station, eggs, yogurt, various breads and pastries) and was good. All in all this was a standard Fairfield Inn which I have usually considered good places to stay. (I tend to hold Marriott brands to a high standard and this one met the mark.)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Nixie-USA,

Our staff makes sincere hospitality their priority; I glad you enjoyed our quiet hotel and ample breakfast. Reflections like yours allow us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay, and we hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

For the past three years I have stayed here with family when making an annual trip to Pittsburgh. We enjoy the clean and comfortable rooms and the complimentary breakfast. Our kids love the pool and the outdoor fireplace is something we always enjoy. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Not too far from downtown and extremely close to family in Emsworth so it's a winner for us. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank HaveBandWillTravel
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
It’s wonderful to know you enjoyed our ample breakfast and friendly associates. We appreciate you sharing your kind review with us and other travelers. Our team strives to be your hotel of choice when in the Pittsburgh Neville Island area. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Kind Regards,
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We celebrated my mother's 90th birthday on the 5th of July. I made the arrangements for about 12 rooms at the Fairfield Inn and Suites, Neville Island. We had guests checking in on the 3 and 4th of July and checking out from 6 to 8 July. The rooms were ready for the arrivals. The check ins went smoothly with no problems. The Group Booking Manager was more that helpful in dealing with last minute changes.

The fire pit overlooking the Ohio River in the back of the hotel was a delightful place for us to gather on the evening of July 4. My wife and I have stayed at this Fairfield many times in the past because it is within walking distance of mom's apartment.

Everyone had a good time and I did not hear any complaints. Not bad when 2 of the families in the group had young children. The hotel staff was eager to assist with any requests. They helped make a very special birthday party a great success.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank teamride
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Our associates understand and believe that our valued guests deserve an exceptional stay and we will continue to push daily to find new ways to WOW our guests. I will be sure to share your very nice feedback regarding our eager staff and relaxing fire pit with our team; they work hard to ensure our guests feel at home. We appreciate you taking the time to share your review and we hope to see you again the next time you visit mom.

Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Average to good for a Fairfield Inn. The location is close to the business I'm visiting in Leetsdale, and it's easy to get downtown if you know your way around. For some reason they never seem to get my rewards card number, even though I stay there several times a year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sidneyyyy
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know you find our location convenient. I apologize for your frustration regarding your Marriott Rewards number. Your feedback provides us with areas of opportunity for improvement in addition to motivation for our team. Please come see us again!

Philly area
Reviewed 1 July 2014

First of all, Neville Island, as interesting as the Fairfield website makes it sound, is a pit. The hotel is next to a Penske truck parking lot that is cropped out of any photos. The only thing good about the hotel is it's proximity to the city. But you aren't saving any money by staying there. I felt duped!
The rooms were clean, but they are very small. The lobby is OK (I don't really care about hotel lobbys but some people do) but it's not large or interesting and it's where breakfast is served. We skipped free breakfast and walked to Kings - the only other food choice. Nothing to write home about there. Terrible service and average, heavy, greasy food.
We went into the city and came back to the hotel to see a group of I assume patrons, loitering, drinking and smoking outside the hotel's front entrance. One of the men was urinating on the side of the building about 8 feet from the door. I notified the front desk. They went out and said something, then came back in and excused the group, saying, "believe it or not they were fine a half an hour ago."
I will never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jinxxlady
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you acknowledging our clean rooms and proximity to the city. I'm very sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you had and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay our guests have come to expect from us. This is definitely not up to our standards and we use feedback like yours to work on improving the quality of service provided. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at here with three small children and could not have been happier. Everything about the hotel was clean, up-to-date, and felt more like a high-end Hilton or Hyatt than the budget-friendly price we were able to get.

The location was outstanding...17 minutes away from the Carnegie Science Center, 13 from the Duquesne Incline. With the exception of the zoo, there is practically nothing in Pittsburgh that can't be reached in 20 minutes. It is in a very industrial type area (but feels very safe), so there is not much to see or to walk to, but it has spectacular views of the Ohio River that my kids loved, and has a small, well-maintained lawn space next to the river that we used, which included nice patio furniture and umbrella tables.

The rooms are standard size, as they are for most hotels. Two queen beds in ours, and an average amount of space (but not much more) to move around. Same for the bathroom. Average size. But it was incredibly clean. Not even dust in the corners or a stray hair on a sheet or at the bottom of the bathtub. And very up to date. The ONLY problem with the room was that the batteries on our TV remote were dead. Not a big deal.

The pool (a must for our family) was, without question, the CLEANEST pool I have ever been in at any hotel. No dirt on the pool deck, nothing "growing" at the waterline, great lighting, and incredibly inviting. It even had a small "waterfall" feature that my kids loved playing around and under. The whirlpool/hot tub next to the pool was great as well. We hit the pool at 4pm and were the only ones in it for the entire hour we were there.

The free breakfast was nothing special...typical motel fare. But it was free, and perfectly fine for my family. Plenty of bread/pastry products, cereal, a waffle station, eggs, sausage, yogurt, juice machine and good coffee. More than adequate to get us to lunch. And the dining area was big.

There is a "Kings" restaurant immediately in front of the hotel (not connected, but right across the parking lot). We chose, however, to drive 10 minutes south to the Primanti Brothers on Steubenville Pike. Great food for everyone in the family

With penny-pinching so important these days, it was great to be in a place that felt like we had spent more. We will definitely make this a regular place to stay whenever we are in Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a room on the north/river-side. Great views.