“Found new home away from home in Pittsburgh”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island
Ranked #50 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We travel to Pittsburgh for 3 to 5 weekends every year for dance conventions/competitions in the downtown/Station Square area. Usually stayed in the host hotels (expensive and not very big rooms) or in the Greentree area (Wife not happy with hotels we have tried there). This was our first stay at the Fairfield and without a doubt we will be back in a couple of weeks for another convention. (Allready made reservation) Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with our only issue. For some reason there were no towels in our room but after a call to the front desk we had them within 5 minutes. We stayed in room 420, a 2 queen suite. Room was big with alot of room, 2 tv's, sofa bed, microwave and fridge. All very clean. Wife and daughter very impressed. Daughter and her friend took advantage of the indoor pool and hot tub. Nice breakfast area with a good food selection. Drive to Station Square is approximately 15 minutes, but well worth the value you get for staying at this Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank impalaragtoplover
KellyAnn88, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear Impalalover,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience and I am glad your wife and daughter enjoyed their stay. Let me apologize again for the oversight of towels in your room and I thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing you again and good luck on your daughter’s next completion!

Yours truly,
Meg Barron, General Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2011

room had damp pillowcases and very musty odor. went to front desk- got another room. no odors or damp pillowcases this time, but next to elevator. all nite long heard elevator go up/down. plus walls are so thin heard anyone taking a shower for several hrs off and on. plus all the traffic on nearby interstate. what a hole. the worst Fairfield inn i ever stayed at.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Bradcham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our hotel, I regret that you did not have a good experience with us and sincerely apologize for all of the above. Our housekeeping team is also receiving a refresher on our high Marriott standards and will be held accountable to them by me personally. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences and again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share yours.

Best regards,

Meg Barron

Reviewed 8 November 2010

The first time I stayed here it was great. This time I had a few minor issues to deal with. Marriott customer care was terrific and so was Mr. Work at this hotels customer care. I was very pleased and I will stay at this hotel again. I recomend this hotel to everyone travelling in the area. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, I DO PLAN ON STAYING HERE ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2011

Thanks so much for your review – we couldn’t be more thrilled to have such a nice recommendation. Thanks especially for recognizing Matt, it made his day! We appreciate that you returned after your first stay and look forward to seeing you and your family next time.

Best,

Stephanie Westfall, General Manager

Reviewed 24 October 2010

My family and I stayed here while attending a funeral. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. We got the suite which allowed our two small children to share the pullout couch. The staff really attended to our needs. I'd definitely stay here again for a short stay. Also, the hotel os right off the highway.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

My daughter and I stayed one night while attending a funeral in Pittsburgh. The photos on the website were very accurate. It was clean and welcoming, and the room was well appointed. The bed was very comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows. I loved the size of the bathroom - plenty of counter space to put our toiletries.

The breakfast had quite a good variety, including a waffle maker, eggs and sausage, along with cereal, milk, bagels, small muffins.

The pool - well, it says on the website that it is a heated pool, but I would beg to differ. I got in and got right back out. My daughter didn't seem to mind, though, but she's only 10. They had just treated the hot tub with chemicals, so the smell was rather strong, and I didn't go in.

The location - it did seem to be in the middle of nowhere, sort of an industrial area, but there was a restaurant right in front of the hotel. The food was so-so - we just had a sandwich - and I think I'd order something hot the next time. Not gourmet, but certainly a valid option if you're coming in later in the evening like we were.

I would definitely stay there again if I had to go to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I endorse the many other positive reviews of the Fairfield Inn on Neville Island. It's a clean, new (opened in 2008) hotel located a mere 15-minute drive from the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. We just got back from staying there over Columbus Day weekend. Sat/Sun nights ran us $136 per night including taxes.

The hotel sits on the western part of the 5-1/2 mile long Neville Island in the middle of the Ohio River. The island was heavily industrial for more than a century and recently the local township authority has begun to try to redevelop part of it. The hotel sits literally 100 yards from the beautiful bridge that leads I-79 over the Ohio River. However, despite the proximity of traffic, the rooms are dead quiet. I could only discern a low intermittent traffic hum from trucks passing as I fell asleep. In fact, it was comforting.

Our room was on the back of the hotel facing roughly north. The hotel is perpendicular to the bridge so the rooms on both the front and back are equally exposed to the highway, though at a 90-degree angle, which probably explains why they're fairly quiet.

We looked down on the backyard of the hotel and, approximately 30 feet or so from the building, the waters of the Ohio River flowed by. We sat out there one crisp evening and enjoyed the fire pit and the view of the bridge (check it out in the photos; it's lovely.)

The hotel has a small pool, perfect for children (5 feet deep max) and a hot tub. It also has a small gym adjacent to the pool; the equipment looks good but I didn't use it.

The lobby and breakfast area are large and the breakfast was filling (featuring heated sausage/egg biscuits and make-your-own waffles.) The staff was friendly, although I had to wait five minutes for someone to show up on Saturday evening and check me in. I also noticed that the desk attendants weren't around much. One in particular was talking on her cell phone whenever I happened to walk by. She and a colleague of hers didn't strike me as particularly professional. The rest of the staff around the hotel was great, however.

The hotel has quick access to I-79 from exit/entrance ramps right in front of the driveway. This particular weekend the entrance ramp was closed for construction, requiring a 10-minute detour. It's very easy to get downtown. We took, alternately, PA-65, which follows the north shore of the Ohio River from right across the river over the bridge from the hotel all the way downtown. We also drove the length of Neville Island (a tour of faded and current heavy industry) to the south shore on PA-51 and then crossed over to the north shore at McKees Rocks (via the longest bridge across the rivers in Pittsburgh) to follow PA-65 downtown. You can also take I-79 south to I-376 and get downtown that (longer) way, too.

Dining options are limited on the island. A restaurant sits in front of the hotel and serves basic Denny's type fare. It was fine for a light dinner the first night. I recommend eating somewhere else before going back to the hotel.

We were very happy with the hotel. It's in a unique location and we'll have pleasant memories of our brief stay for quite a while. It's an excellent value in a convenient location.

Reviewed 12 September 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel on a trip to the Pittsburgh area because my usual hotel was booked. For those who don't know the area where this hotel sits - Neville Island is a pretty industrial area, but this hotel makes you forget all of that as soon as you walk into the lobby. Everything has a modern design and is BEYOND spotless (if there is such a thing).

Our room was very spacious, with a great view of the Ohio river and the I-79 bridge crossing it - I realize that may be tough to envision, but it was nice. To add to it all, their indoor pool area was great, with the pool having a really nice waterfall, and a jacuzzi that looked out at the outdoor fire pit area (which also had a hammock next to it).

The staff was just as nice as the hotel - they went out of their way to give my kids Spongebob gift packages and were very accommodating when we threw a last minute curveball and used some of my Marriott Reward Points for an extra room.

Because of my experience, I think I have a new favorite hotel when I travel to Pittsburgh...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

Dear Genghisdon,

Thanks so much for your review – so glad you enjoyed our hotel, we sincerely hope to see you again in your travels to Pittsburgh!

Best regards,