“Reasonable Boats and Cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kayak Pittsburgh

Kayak Pittsburgh
Seattle, WA
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Reasonable Boats and Cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was here for a convention, and found myself with free time on a Sunday morning after church on a fine May morning. I am an avid and experienced sea and whitewater kayaker, and was in town with a colleague who is also a sea kayaker. We decided to rent kayaks and go paddle the Allagheny and Monongahela rivers. Now I must admiut that I am spoiled by living in the Pacific Northwest and living in some of he best paddling country in the world, so the scenery along Pittsburg's rivers does not compare to Puget Sound or Vancouver Island or the wild Washington coast. But I enjoyed this paddle nonetheless. We started out paddling upriver on the Alegheny, goin around an island a couple of miles upstream and then looping back. The current was non-existent, and it was kind of neat to see the remnants of Pittsburg's industrial age along the shores. I had forgotten what a wasteland the eastern US is. After paddling back to where we started, we then went dow to Triangle Park and up the Monongahela for a ways. There was also some boat traffic to dodge, but nothing dicey. There was a Pittsburg baseball game going on, and we noticed that a number of boats had rafted up in the river and were sort of watching the game both live and on TVs aboard there boats. It was interesting to hear the cheears and roars as we were paddling.

The price for the kaya rentals was reasonable. the boats that they rented were rotomold, and bombproof and really slow. Having a quiver of very high-end boats back in Seattle has spoiled me, but I must say that I enjoyed the paddle, found the boats perfectly fine, and the rental price more than fair.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank WindWolfess

Mantorville, Minnesota
144 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“A Must-do in Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

After taking in a game at gorgeous PNC Park, my son and I rented a kayak at Kayak Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a beautiful city and this is one of the best ways to see it. It is easy to maneuver even for beginning kayakers. We saw mother ducks and ducklings, fish, and a lot of neat architecture. If we are ever back in Pittsburgh we will stop to kayak again.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Bill K
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Where else can you kayak through a city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Pros: Great kayaking by the city. Good views that can't be seen elsewhere. Singles and doubles available. Decent price.

Cons: When it is crowded, wait time to get a kayak can reach up to an hour. They have some pretty smelly life vests.

Summary: If you want to go kayaking, try and pick a time earlier in the day when it isn't crowded.

1 Thank g-raterr
Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best hour for the Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Kayak the Three Rivers .... A must do for all ages....best views of Pittsburgh aside from Mt Washington....kayak to the Point and take photos, relax with the current...just $16 an hour! Cant beat it as part of a day of sightseeing...take the free T to PNC PARK and get your kayak just past themleft field wall down the steps to the river.....loved it !

2 Thank Phillysem23
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Most fun in Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Coming from Philadelphia where we have two underused rivers, it was such a pleasure to experience Pittsburgh from the water in a fun, active way. We couldn't believe that we were able to get into kayaks in about 5 minutes and be on the water in 10. (Note: it's probably better to go earlier in the day as there was a long line when we returned around 2pm). We spent an hour out there and it was probably one of my favorite moments in the city. Highly recommend doing this whether you are a single person, a couple, a family or a group!