“Wow! The B and B deal was perfect!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #32 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Great location, very clean, King Suite was enormous for our family of 4! The room is easily 3 times the size of a standard hotel room, and this is a true suite, with totally separate, private bedroom and a sitting area with pull out sofa. The sitting area is probably 1.5x the size of a standard hotel room. The staff was exceptionally friendly, the free shuttle to local attractions was very nice and the on site restaurant ( we ate breakfast only) was fantastic! Would highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: Ask for the suites, you want be disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We've made this Doubletree our Pittsburgh destination for every visit this summer for good reason. The hotel is comfortable, friendly, responsive to our needs, priced right, convenient to everything Pittsburgh, free shuttle service, clean, great showers and beds, nice restaurant, wonderful staff, safe parking ... arriving late this weekend, the hotel parking was full, but they still found a way to accomodate us - a staff member moved their car! I travel often with small children and they love the hotel pool. The shuttle is a great service - we've used it often to go downtown. Breakfast is wonderful - buffet has great variety and the fresh, made to order omelets are great! Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My wife and I arrived in Pittsburgh at 3am July 13th. We stayed three nights at the hotel. It was initially very hard to find the hotel despite having GPS directions. This may be due to the construction. The woman we spoke to via phone was very helpful in directing us to the hotel and parking garage. This is about where the good service ended.
We drove up and evidently it was valet only (which was not what the website said). The valet guy was asleep so we had to wake him up. We were called a cab to go to Heinz field after parking our car. The cab never came, probably due to the fact that YellowCabs never show up there since we called 3 times and they never showed up.

When we checked in later that day we were disappointed to learn that our request made months prior for a single-bed room was not taken. Me and my wife were put in a double bed room on the 16th floor right by the elevators. I was surprised the next day to realize that about half of the 16th floor was under complete renovation of rooms and was woken up by the loud banging of hammers. I would have thought if renovations like this were going on people would not be placed on this floor.

The fitness center was very nice, tv screens on every treadmill and elliptical. The pool was adequate, was looking more for a hot tub ;) The lobby was also gorgeous and very modern with the furniture. Also, the Bigelow Grill was very nice also, which is attached to the hotel. FYI, the only place in the Business district to get something to eat after 9pm!

Friday we again needed a cab at 4:30am to go to Heinz field, which I called the night before to assure the hotel would be able to accommodate. I called the next morning to get a cab and the woman on the phone was extremely rude and said I would have to come down and get in line, which was different from what I had been told the night before. I came down, asked the lady at the desk if she could call us a cab and she rolled her eyes and said "wait outside with everyone else" in a demeaning tone.
We again waited about 45 minutes and no cab came before we started walking to Heinz field.

Later that day we needed to be picked up from a McDonalds about .3 miles away since we were tired of all the walking we had done that day so we called for the free shuttle service. They said it would be 25-30 minutes and we should just walk. I said we still wanted to use the shuttle. After about 45 minutes of waiting I called back and he said he was 5 minutes away. We finally were picked up and dropped off.

When we had returned to our room at 3pm or so our room had still not been cleaned which was a bit surprising. We wanted to use the shuttle again later that day, but we were not able to since it does not run across bridges between 4-6. We were able to be picked up from SouthSide Center though. This time the shuttle was on time and great.

When we were ready to check out on Sat we figured that since we had valet parked we would haul our stuff outside the main entrance and one of use would go to the valet garage to get someone to bring our car up. I stood there for abotu 10 minutes before someone assisted me. The guy said "we don't pull your cars out front" and laughed a bit. I said, "isn't that what valet is?" He said no, you pick your car up right here. So we haul the stuff back down to the garage and have to walk up into the garage where the car was parked to get it. The guy didn't even want to put our luggage in the trunk! The valet here is a joke, they drive it a couple hundred feet and park it again in the garage and make you come down and get it.

Overall, this hotel could have been a very nice stay, but due to the overwhelming negative experience with the staffs poor customer service I would not stay here again. If you find you look only at the hotel quality and car nothing about customer service, this hotel is a great place to stay. Would stay again if I knew the staff would be different.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank icemanexit
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I came to Pittsburgh to work on a three month project in Dec 2010 it is now July and I’m about to leave. I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Pittsburgh. The staff is very friendly and welcoming from the valet, concierge, front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping. The food is great especially the breakfast!!!! yum. If you come you must have Mike the bartender make you one of his drinks (he is the best!!!!) Stephanie the front desk manager is very accommodating and will make sure whatever it is you need she will make sure it is provided for you. Michael O’Donoghue who is the Division Director is fabulous provides his guest with wonderful service. Last, but no least if you just happen to have Dell in housekeeping to clean your room….all I can say is OMG!!!!! I will so miss everyone at the Doubletree because they have made my stay so wonderful. Keep up the great work guys! I hope to see you again in the fall.

Terry B from Charlotte, NC

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thank you for completing a review of your extended stay. We truly enjoyed having you as a guest and getting to know you. We will all miss you!

Best of luck with the new venture and don't be a stranger.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 18 July 2011

My boyfriend and I spent one night at the Pittsburgh Doubletree while visiting family in the area and we were both disappointed with the property. I am a frequent business traveler and received a Hilton "Be My Guest" free night certificate to any Doubletree property after a very unpleasant overbooking experience about a year ago. The certificate was about to expire so we chose to take advantage of our free night at this property - and if the night was not free, I would have been more vocal about several low points.

Firstly, the lobby and the elevator banks are updated and give the appearance of a more modern facility. Once you ascend to your floor, the ceilings are very low, the hallways are dingy, and the rooms themselves are poorly laid out and have a very dated feel. For example, our suite had a huge sitting area that seemed to contain too little furniture for the space, but the bedroom was cramped with a king bed. The lighting is low and the carpet is stained, lending to the dated feel of the room. The pedastal sink in the very tiny bathroom left barely any space for my toiletries / makeup. The toilet seat wouldn't stay up (my boyfriend noted that one) and the sink drained very slowly. I will say the bed was clean and comfortable, but the overall feel of the room was not conducive to the couples' weekend we were hoping to enjoy.

In the morning we went to the on site restaurant, Bigelow Grille, for our complimentary breakfast. We were seated in a booth with stained seats and remnants of the previous guests' breakfast on the table. My boyfriend asked the hostess to clean the surfaces, which she was happy to do, but why was the table set without being cleaned? We went to the buffet only to discover a lack of clean plates or bowls and a general dissaray of food - no bacon in the warming pan, over-baked oatmeal, and cream cheese at room temperature. Nonetheless we asked for plates and chose a bit of fruit and cereal. We did both order omelets from the chef at the station, and they were tasty - no complaints there. However, my boyfriend then found a piece of hair in the fruit we got from the buffet bar. Our waiter kindly apologized and took the plate away, but that was definitely another low point in our stay.

Overall the Doubletree Pittsburgh is the type of hotel where I start inspecting the towels for stains and rubbing down my silverware prior to eating - not the tasks one wants to perform while trying to enjoy a weekend away. While I found the staff friendly and helpful, there is much left to be desired at the property.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LegsForDays

Thank you for completing a survey pertaining to your recent stay. We truly appreciate your comments and concerns and are diligently working on our service. What you experienced is not the norm and we apologize for the less than satisfactory stay.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

I stay in a lot of hotels (at least one per month) all over the country. Typically, you can count on a chain like this having a certain consistent feel. The only thing familiar here were the cookies. This building does not feel like it was built as a hotel and seems nothing like the Doubletree we had stayed in just a few days earlier. My guess is that the building is a rehab of something totally different. It was old, but not in a historic or good way. The furnishings and such were updated, but that couldn't mask the terrible building itself. The halls were gloomy, lobby ceilings were low and uninviting, the rooms themselves had awkward layouts (I had two rooms) where some windows were behind walls that couldn't be seen from or illuminate most of the room.

In addition to the bleak building, the front desk staff was not well trained. I had to visit the desk three times before I received keys that worked in my doors. She said my cell phone was wiping the cards, but since different people were carrying different sets of keys, this wasn't possible. She did not apologize and refused to come up with me to see if the third set of keys would work (which finally they did). Her attitude was that it was all my fault, and I was bothering her with my ineptitude. I later came down to ask some tourist questions. I spoke to a different person who again acted like she was doing me a favor. When I visited the desk the next morning, the day crew was much more helpful and pleasant. They even gave me some cost saving tips unsolicited.

We used the shuttle to take us to the Warhol museum. It was a helpful amenity given how confusing the city is and the driver was great. He even gave a little tour guide speech as he drove us. We also used the pool and fitness area. That area was very nice, bright and updated. It almost didn't seem like it was in the same building.

We also used the valet service. They do not serve the front door. Instead, you unload luggage and family in front, and then drive yourself around the building into the garage. I found this a great inconvenience for valet. It defeats the purpose. The staff there was also hot and cold. Some were helpful, others gave us that "I'm doing you a favor" attitude -- so unattractive in hospitality staff.

We booked these rooms through a last-minute online discount service. Had I paid market rate, I would have been very unhappy with the service and the building, but since I paid very little it was OK.

Room Tip: If you are interested in room quality, stay someplace else.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank hoosiertreker

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. To clarify, the hotel was built as an apartment complex in the 1950's and was converted to a hotel many years later. Unlike many hotels, we are an older building but have gone through a number of renovations recently. Our last phase will be to complete a full guest room renovation starting in December.

In regards to your stay, we sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory experience. I have shared your review my the team and a diligently working on our shortfalls.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

I travel to Pittsburgh monthly and have stayed in all the hotels. The Doubletree is actually my favorite and, at least for Heinz employees, they offer great rates. The rooms are updated, spacious, and large. There is a really nice gym and pool. The staff and service is very friendly. My favorite part is the restaurant and bar - great food and always nice people here.

When going to Pittsburgh - this and the Westin are your best bets.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Andrew,
We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience. Thank you for your business and loyalty to the DoubleTree By Hilton Pittsburgh.

Hotel Manager