“Recommended with some hesitations...” 4 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #25 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Recommended with some hesitations...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel was very nice-- our room was on the fifth floor and our entire hallway smelled like feces. The room itself was fine, but the hallway was horribly odorous. The bed was very comfortable and the toiletries were great. Unfortunately, there's no fridge or microwave, which was inconvenient for our weekend trip to the hospital to visit my mother. Parking was easy, but $20/day for valet. Easy in & out, though. There was a 7-11 attached to the hotel which was convenient for last minute necessities. We got a great third party site rate, but when we asked to extend it for 2 more days, as my mother encountered complications in surgery, they could not, and offered us the same room for $172 more per night. Eventually, they did offer us a better rate, but we opted for the Wyndham Grand instead. It's also quite loud in the room (we could hear the neighboring rooms and ALL noises in the hallway). Altogether, for the very reduced unpublished rate, this room cannot be beat. I would not pay the published price though. Would be ultra convenient for a Pens game (not as convenient as the Cambria Suites). Also, skip the Bigelow Grille... horrible hotel restaurant. The gym and indoor pool were quite nice.

Room Tip: Don't ask for the 5th floor, as it smelled horrible in the hallway (other hallways did not seem...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Hello Lalas Travels,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate all feed back in striving to ensure we provide better service. We also use this as a training tool for our staff to see areas we could improve. By the description of your reservation and you were not able to extend at the same rate, the reservation was booked through a third party. In this case, we are unable to extend the current reservation however we would be able to make a reservation under our rates. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like more information or would like to provide feedback.

atyrrell@doubletreepgh.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We were at the Double Tree for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed in a king suite with a sofa bed. It was a very spacious room. It almost seemed larger than a standard Double Tree. It lived up to the Hilton quality; clean, comfy beds and quiet. We had a beautiful view of the city on the 5th floor. The staff was very nice and helpful. The courtesy van is a real plus, providing transportation within the city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Good Afternoon, We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay here at the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while visiting in the Pittsburgh Area. Thank you again for sharing your comments.

delray beach, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of this hotel and the staff. We had one minor negative thing happen. The rooms are clean and the beds are extra comfy. The views of the city at night from the room were beautiful. Most all of the staff is helpful and courteous. The food in the restaurant was excellent. The best thing of all is the free shuttle that takes you to points in the city, station square and parts of southside. Just beware if the doorman offers you a taxi to a part of the town where the shuttle doesn't travel. Use the concierge and get your own. I feel he uses friends that are overpriced. This was the only negative thing.
There is a 7-11 attached so you can get reasonably priced snacks or coffee. We were in walking distance of the new Consol Energy Center. If you are there during Hockey season, go to the game. The arena is gorgeous.

Room Tip: If you have kids then a suite is the way to go. Otherwise, every room is good.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank c b
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so very much for sharing your comments on your past stay here in the Doubletree Downtown Pittsburgh!! We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay here. I do apologize for the overpriced Taxi you received for pick up. Our first choice for Public Transportation is yellow cab Taxi. If we feel traffic hour is hectic or busy, we then use classy cab for transportion. We ensure our guests are able to receive quick, efficient, and safe transportation to any location they are going to. We hope to see you in the near future. Have a great day!

Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Rooms are recently renovated. TV is real HD with real HD channels. Staff was helpful, valet was well run. The only drawback is the size of the bathrooms; they are really really tiny. The location is not readily walkable to a lot of things, except Damons in the Steel buidling, a dunkin donuts and of course the Consul Center. But the free shuttle service is one of the best features of this hotel and the drivers are excellent. They will take you anywhere downtown and even beyond. I had a business meeting at Allegheny Center, which is across the river on the north side. Driver not only took me over the bridge, he came back and retrieved me when I was done.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nittany13
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your recent experience here with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh. We appreciate the kind words on our Shuttle Service. I will be sure to inform the driver of your comments. Thank you again for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh.
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

there were 3 people in line in front of me plus the desk clerks were each helping somebody check in. but the line moved quick and they were very efficient in the check-in process and exlpaining everything about the hotel.

the room is set up kind of strange but i liked it. there is almost like a hallway from the bed to the bathroom. could easily set up a roller bed or a roll a crib. downside is that if you want to watch tv from the desk it cant be done. room was clean and water pressure was good, just wished the head was a little higher. If you are taller than 6 feet you will have to crouch a little to get your head washed. Also, if you cant find the dryer go to the closet, that is where i found mine.

i was only here one night but i will stay here again next time i am in pittsburgh. As always the cookie was much appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am glad that we will have the chance to serve you in the future.

Stephanie Masullo
Front Office Manager
smasullo@doubletreepgh.com
Cleveland Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed with a group of friends in town for a weekend. The hotel is well appointed, the beds are comfortable, and the decor is OK. The rooms are oddly arranged but that's no big deal. The great part about out weekend at the hotel, however, was the customer service. The staff was excellent, especially the night staff on Saturday (8/18/12) who were very accommodating of our slightly intoxicated requests. We also took the shuttle a couple times, which was quick and convenient.

Steer clear of the restaurant in the morning though. The menu is over priced, the food is not great, and service was pretty slow. There's plenty of other places to eat in the area.

Overall - I will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We take pride in the service that we provide and are extremely grateful when we are able to "wow" our guests. Thank you, truly, for sharing. I hope that you return to our great city and stay with us in the future.

Regards,

Stephanie Masullo
Front Office Manager
smasullo@doubletreepgh.com
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was there at this hotel during the NHL Draft with 3 other guys...as we were attending a conference and the Draft..

Check-in was very nice and the front desk staff went out of their way to help me out, however this was the best part of the stay....

We were given a Room and it was not until that night that we had seen a number of problems...my friend pulled out the pull-out sofa and sat on it and fell through the bed since the supports (springs) were just about all missing so we had to call at 1:00 a.m. in the morning to the front desk to ask for help and they brought up a rollaway bed...

I came down to the front desk the next morning and asked for a new room and was stated that they were working on getting that done and that they would move our stuff to the new room during the day when we were at our meetings...

When we got back to the hotel that afternoon, the hotel had already been helping with getting our stuff to the next room which was nice....

However when we got up to the room we found a miserable seen....(the room appeared to be clean however the toliet had a #2 in it, there was a lightblub was missing in one of the lamps in the master bedroom, and one of the shades didn't work....

I went downstairs and asked for the front desk manager to come up to the room since I wanted her to witness what I had seen in the room....so she went and brought up the housekeeping manager as well...

What I witnessed next was something that I've never had before and thought it was very degrading....

The housekeeping manager went to the next room and brought the housekeeper to the room (with myself and the Front Desk Manager in it) and started walking her through the room and asking "What's that in the toliet", "Why is there a lightblub missing" and ranting about how you can't do stuff like that...

I was mystified and truly surprised that a person would do something like that in front of me....by that time I had pretty much had it...

The rest of the stay was okay, I was pretty much done by that time...

After my stay, I called up Guest Assistance with Hilton and told them of my experience with them, and they sent a report to the hotel...

Get this..after hearing nothing for 3 days (after asking the hotel to call me so we could discuss) the hotel contacted Hilton Corporate and said they didn't want to respond to my claim and that they would give me a 1 free night stay at any Doubletree...which is like tossing a doggy bone to someone to get them off their backs...

But I deferred and said that I wanted to talk to someone at that hotel...finally after Hilton called the hotel I was able to speak to Michael there and we got things worked out but by that time I had really had it by then...he did send me a refund of one nights room and tax and some bonus points...but by that time is was all a formailty.....

I will not stay at this hotel ever again, you can't degrade a housekeeper in front of the guest...just doesn't work....CAN YOU SAY WRONG............

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank caneshockey31
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com. There are no excuses for the incident that occurred and I have since addressed the issue with the appropriate manager. You and I have had many interactions since and I thank you for allowing me make this experience up to you.

Best regards,

Michael O'Donoghue
Director of Hotel Operations.
modonoghue@doubletreepgh.com