The Priory Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$286
US$245
  • Restaurant
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$261
  • Pool
US$300
US$181
  • Restaurant
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$282
US$158
  • Room Service
US$187
US$164
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$162
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmonk's bargrand hallbenedictine monasteryeuropean style breakfastmax's allegheny tavernfree parkingpnc parknorth sidehard boiled eggscontinental breakfastshuttle servicefresh fruitsitting roomunique hotelthe andy warhol museumchain hotelshigh ceilings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2008

I have stayed at the Priory many times and like it a lot. I like the history of the place, the friendly staff, the rooms, the free parking, and the reasonable price.

(I am not sure why many people have a problem with the location. The neighborhood looks OK; I would not think of it as "ghetto" or even "tough," but I live in a fairly gritty part of Brooklyn, so maybe I have a different basis for comparison.)

Unfortunately, though, I can no longer stay at the Priory because of a problem I had during my latest--and last--stay. I found a live insect next to the wrapped chocolate that the housekeeping staff places on each pillow. I killed the insect and then searched for its photo on Google Images. It matched the description of a bedbug. I spoke to the night clerk, who was very helpful and immediately moved me to another room and comped that night's stay. However, I know that bedbugs can move between walls and are very difficult to eradicate. Please take care if you decide to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank NycLibrarian
Reviewed 29 March 2008

August 2007 Came to Pittsburgh for 2 ballgames in August. Both games were part of the Skyblast Series at PNC Park. Enjoyed both very much. Wish I could do it again this August. Great ballpark and great evenings. Was a little disappointed in our stay at the Priory. It had great reviews on the Trip Advisor site so we decided to stay there too because it was close to the ballpark. Nice old building and room was clean but the area walking back to the hotel after the ballgame was a little uncomfortable after midnight. We were stopped a couple of times during the day by people looking for handouts and witnessed a possible drug transaction in the supermarket parking lot. Enjoyed the breakfast and the happy hour both days. Wine was good. I'm sure those walls have a lot of tales. A wedding was taking place that Friday night and the people seemed to enjoy themselves there. If I would come back again for a night ballgame I think I would try to stay at the hotel across from the ball park if possible or across the river near the ballpark. Neighbourhood afterdark is sketchey. The girl at the desk suggested we walk up a block to head over to the ballpark. When we left after checking out we could see why. There was about 7 people living under the overpass nearest the hotel. Sad site for a nice city. We do enjoy our stays in Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sportsfan007
Reviewed 29 March 2008

This hotel was nice - on the quaint side, the staff was great, but my daughter and I traveling as two women, felt uncomfortable with the area. It is close to downtown which was where we were headed, and the price and parking were a definate plus. We did not have any problems with safety at all, but we just did not "feel" safe.
The hotel is located in the second block of a small one way street with the first block looking quite rough.
The room was small, but clean and adequate, however the dead bolt lock would not lock. Parking is directly across the street in a stoned in lot that is posted "not responsible for damage", and we did not have any problems with the car in the lot.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank hmperk
Reviewed 18 March 2008

We were looking for an affordable place near Heinz field for a Monday night Steelers game. This was a great hotel to stay in. I tend to stay away form the dime-o-dozen chain hotels out there and prefer places with character, like The Priory. Very charming.

The staff was more than accommodating, especially there was a discrepancy with our booking the hotel online. They more than went out of their way to make sure we got a room, despite the hotel being booked. Only stayed two nights, but the rooms were clean and the breakfast was great.

The part of town it was in wasn't as bad as previous reviews said, at least in our opinion. We never felt unsafe at all. The parking lot across the street is very convenient and reserved only for guests.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JTinCO
Reviewed 4 February 2008

My wife & I went to Pittsburgh for a new year's eve dinner cruise and booked it all thru the hotel . The staff took care of all the arrangements including transportation to and from the cruise.The hotel is like an old church/ monestery with very nice rooms. When you enter the building, you get the feeling of being in a luxury hotel from days past. The rooms were very nice and clean.We had a bottle of champane in our room upon arrival and a very nice continental breakfast in the morning. I will definately stay again and would recomend it to any one wanting to stay near the downtown Pittsburgh area, because it is only minutes from all the great things to do in downtown Pittsburgh.CHECK IT OUT.

Stayed: January 2008