The Priory Hotel
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$261
US$222
US$179
US$161
US$187
US$163
CambriaHotels
  • Pool
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$158
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
US$237
US$208
  • Pool
Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
  • Restaurant
US$127
US$123
Doubletree.com
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$162
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmonk's bargrand hallbenedictine monasteryeuropean style breakfastmax's allegheny tavernfree parkingpnc parknorth sidehard boiled eggscontinental breakfastshuttle servicefresh fruitsitting roomunique hotelthe andy warhol museumchain hotelshigh ceilings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Priory for a wedding and while the building is beautiful - I agree when people say it's in desperate need for an overhaul. Here's my review:

Pros:
- Beautiful building, the architecture is incredible - if you're going check out the grand ballroom - it's amazing
- Free Parking
- Our room was pretty big
-Decent breakfast - cereal, fruit, ham, hard-boiled eggs, bagels, yogurt, muffins, danishes, fruit juices and coffee
- Didn't have to keep track of our key. My husband would list this as a con, but I like it... they attach your room key to a huge gas-station wooden key and you have to give it to the front desk whenever you leave and pick it up when you return. I just liked not having to dig around in my purse to find a key.
-Free wine from 5-7, but on one of the days there was a different wedding going on in another part of the property and they didn't want the wedding guests (whom I'm sure had a bar) to take any of the free wine so they put it behind the front desk - you had to ask for it if you wanted a glass
-located w/in walking distance of fun stuff in Pittsburgh
- Internet worked perfectly

Cons:
- Scary location (lots of loitering)
- Older guy at front desk was rude - at one point a guest asked him for an update on her hometown football team in TX, they got into a conversation about how her family has been out of power for a few days because of the hurricane and he said that he wished that the entire state of TX would have been destroyed. A heated argument followed - just not a great person for the hospitality industry
- Very hard beds
- Air Conditioning never got cold it just ran all night
- Air quality was terrible - every one of the guests from the wedding complained about a sore throat each morning because of the air
- Our room was directly in the lobby which was weird and loud
- Very little space on bathroom counter
- They provided us gratuity envelops to tip the housekeeping staff. The rooms are not cheap and guest should not be hit up for tipping the housekeepers. They should be compensated through the hotel
- TV was very small and remote control we had was for a different TV
- Dirty carpet & shower
- We were not there for business but if I were, there was no desk
- The "bar" drinks were out of this world expensive. The first night we purchased drinks from the supermarket and brought it back to our rooms. The guy at the front desk had no issue with that. The next night the old guy at the front desk threatened to call "Pittsburgh's Finest" if we brought in our own alcohol.

We never saw a "no bringing in your own alcohol" policy anywhere (either booking or checking in). It was clear he was trying to get more money from us by trying to force us to drink their expensive drinks - but if they want to say no outside drinks then wouldn't that mean all beverages (soft and hard)? He never had a problem with my water bottles I purchased at the store and brought in. It was also kind of out of left field that he said that to us - we were not loud or bothering anyone. He just went out of his way to be rude.

Overall, I'm glad I got to see the building because it is pretty but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank OfficiallyForeign
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We just spent Labor Day Weekend at the Priory. Came to Pittsburgh for a wedding. Thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Priory! Excellent place to relax in between the wedding we came for and sightseeing! We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank SueKline
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We have stayed at The Priory for our vacation to Pittsburgh every year for the past seven years for my husband and five for me. We enjoy the charming, Historic accommodations. The rooms are comfortable and elegant. The staff is so very accommodating and nice they have become like friends to us. You aren't just "another face" when you stay at The Priory - they remember your name and greet as you come in the door - they have done this since the first time we stayed. We like the fact that we are within walking distance to PNC Park and if you're feeling energetic even to Station Square and the Mt. Washington Incline. We have a young son and the staff recommended Children's Museum and the National Aviary which is about a 15 minute walk with a 3 year old and he absolutely loved it. It is only a short drive to Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium which we also enjoy immensely.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Peavyfans
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Loved our stay at the Priory. Their place is lovely and spacious with a great choice for breakfast at whatever time you would like. The location is convenient and on certain nights, there is an incredibly helpful front desk historian, I believe his name was John, who was full of knowledge and delightful to talk to.

Owning a B&B myself, I appreciated their service and attention to detail.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank TrentandHarley
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I do admit that the "old-style" appearance, architecture, wall hangings, and bedding are really neat to see, but when it comes to the modern comforts, I was really disappointed. If you are a "must-have coffee first thing," you'll find yourself trudging two or three floors down to get a cup in the restaurant. No coffee maker in the rooms.

Also, I thought the maids were very friendly, but the people at the front desk don't have much patience or sense of humor. I was bothered with the need to turn in your key if you left, and collect it again upon return.

They advertised wireless throughout, but we got connectivity for only a short time one morning. And the computer available to everyone is from the stone age.

The breakfast was incredibly disappointing, very little attention paid to it by staff for refilling cereal, etc. The fare had much to be desired, with not much protein, and very dry bakery goods.

There is no elevator, so be prepared to get some exercise (which can be a good thing...) There is only one ice-maker, in the basement.

Also, when we originally booked by phone, we were told our rooms and had requested queen and king beds for our group. Turns out only the king bed rooms are guaranteed, or it becomes first come - first serve, so one room was only a double bed - very small.

The complimentary wine was nice, I admit. In addition, there was an event in the church hall that was nice. But for the modern comforts I'm always looking for, they were really lacking.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business