“It's just ok”
Review of The Priory Hotel

The Priory Hotel
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks really neat. Historic for sure. I enjoyed the look of the place and it went downhill from there. I will say the customer service was excellent! The rooms were very clean but cramped. The bathroom was very tiny and the shower even smaller. The room had a musty smell to it. I could hear everything in the hall and outside. Not sound proof at all. Bed was kinda firm and too hard for my liking. The breakfast wasn't anything fancy. Just a continental with some cheese, meats and pastries. Too much sugar, it would suck to be diabetic and eating there. More of a variety would have been better. The neighborhood seemed kinda sketchy, I would never walk anywhere there. I guess for price it was ok but doubt I stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Osugirl30
There are newer reviews for The Priory Hotel

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This beautifully restored monastery is a real piece of history. Meticulously restored, & real attention to detail. Rooms & all surroundings are remarkable. With a great work-out gym, business office, & 'European/German-style breakfast, it is hard to beat. And, did I mention "FREE" parking..........in Pittsburgh? Well that's unheard of, but it is offered here, along with a ready & willing shuttle driver with a passenger van, always polite & well-versed with all of the sites to see in Pittsburgh. What a wonder experience, we would highly-recommend this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel's free shuttle service is great, but is a 'first com, first served' basis. Ri...
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel is very beautiful and historic. The room was decorated with many antiques. The bathrooms are very small, especially the shower. The hotel is situated within walking distance to PNC Park. I did not feel safe walking to and from the hotel and PNC Park after dark. The hotel is located in a rough area of town. The hotel offers a free shuttle service which sounds like a nice amenity until you try to use the service. My husband and I took the shuttle to a 7pm game at PNC Park. The driver dropped us off at the park and told us he would meet me us at 10PM at EXACTLY the same spot. While exiting the shuttle van, my husband specifically asked where the driver would be picking us up. We took note of our surroundings and once again confirmed the time and location of pickup with the driver. I called the hotel 15 minutes prior to being picked up at the specified location to confirm the driver would be there on time. The women said he was on his way. My husband and I were at the location where we were to be picked up 15 minutes before the scheduled time to be picked up. We never saw the shuttle van. I called the hotel and the receptionist had a MAJOR attitude and told me that the driver was there and we did not show up. My husband and I were there 15 minutes early. The receptionist then put the driver on the phone. He also had a major attitude and told us we were wrong. We took note of our surroundings and we were in the CORRECT place to be picked up. These two individuals have no customer service skills and do not need to be working with customers. If all other downtown hotels would have not been sold out, I would have immediately changed hotels. This was the worst I have ever been treated by a hotel staff member at any hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are many other nice hotels in downtown Pittsburgh.

3  Thank Keisha D
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is an extraordinary redo of a former priory and is gorgeous. Loved the room, the linens, the courtyard. But I will never, ever stay there again. Service is important to me and from the first the attitude of the front desk was "so-what-you-decided-to-spend-your-money-here-we-could-not care-less." When we got there, for example there were three people behind the desk and one person in front of me in line. I understand people have different functions but not so much as a "we'll be right with you." The woman who checked in me in was indifferent and impersonal. And the same when we checked out. We go to Pittsburgh quite often - in fact we have plans to go again next month but I'll never stay there again. I guess I want it all - a place that makes me feel that my travel dollars are appreciated and a nice room etc.

5  Thank Harrietlou
JohnEGraf, Owner at The Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We are pleased that this guest liked our property. We are extremely distressed that he/ she felt that his/ her reception was not welcoming or efficient. This is of grave concern to us, as we do strive to make each guest's stay a peaceful and pleasant one. We are very sorry that we did not accomplish this in this case, and will make immediate efforts to make sure that the problem is corrected. I would ask this guest to reach out to me personally at john@thepriory.com, as I would be interested in discussing this further and in seeing if we could not ameliorate this guest's concerns in some way.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We chose this hotel because of the recommendations we read in tripadvisor. The hotel is certainly very unique. We were in Pittsburgh to see a Pirates game. Our original plans were to walk to the game but we did not feel safe enough in that neighborhood to walk.
The room we stayed in was small but comfortable. The bathroom was nice sized but the shower stall is much too small. The toilet seat was very loose, so, I had to tighten it. Also, the in room coffee service was not good.
The shuttle driver was terrific and very accommodating.
The continental breakfast buffet was terrific and nicely displayed.
I thought the TV was too small but the picture was good. Had we planned on staying there for more than one night, I would have asked to change rooms.
Having said all this we would stay here again. The hotel staff was very nice and we loved the atmosphere of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath, not a shower stall.
2  Thank Tom Z
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Priory and were very satisfied with our stay. The hotel and the rooms were very clean and I noticed the cleaning staff working very hard to maintain it that way. The continental breakfast was much better than you'll find at most hotels. Like many big cities the surrounding area is a bit "sketchy" and I would not recommend walking the area after dusk. Why take the chance when the hotel shuttle is a phone call away. We walked to the baseball game but after seeing some of the sights enroute I would NOT walk back afterwards. Both nights we were out in the city we returned via. the hotel shuttle and were very satisfied with the the drivers response to our request for pickup. The drivers were very friendly and knowledgeable of the city.

1  Thank MKC18
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a hidden gem right in downtown Pittsburgh. This historic property is great. The rooms are well appointed and clean. The Monk's Bar off of the lobby is a gathering place, as well as the courtyard and porch to the rear. This is one of the few places downtown that offers free parking. In addition they have a complimentary shutte to take you to local events and attractions. Reasonably priced, so what more could you ask for. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: You can ask for the renovated rooms on the third floor, but all rooms are godd and have their own ch...