“The Good and The Bad”

The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Let's start with the good. Our room was green, clean, spacious, and ideally located for an overnight stay to a Pirates game or the convention center. And the Wi-Fi is free. Also, there are a plethora of restaurants in the immediate area which we took advantage of.
Now for the bad. It's overpriced, the room walls are so thin you can hear conversations in the adjoining rooms, our tv remote did not work with the tv, the in-room hair dryer is a very cheap model and we've stayed at less expensive hotels with better ones. Our reservation confirmation said that the valet parking was $22/night, instead we were billed $24. I don't think we'll stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at the Westin. We appreciate your feedback, both positive and constructive as it allows us to improve on areas that may need attention. We would like to apologize for noise you encountered in the guest rooms and for the miscommunication with our valet prices. To confirm, our daily valet rate is $24 a day and we will make sure our hotel confirmations state that going forward. We hope that you give us another chance in the future to restore our brand and loyalty to you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Have been attending a conference held at the Westin Convention Center. I had several associates staying at the Westin Hotel during the conference. The Hotel itself is fine. The rooms are basic, but they work. I'd much rather stay at the Courtyard, which is only a 1/2-block away. The hotel restaurant is far from exciting and the hotel bar as less than ideal. Fortunately, there are many places within walking distance. Regardless, for what we paid to stay here, I expected something much nice. Lastly, getting to the convention center is sort of a pain. I was one of the organizers of the conference and would not recommend coming back here. The conference was only 300 people, so I think everyone would have more appreciated one of the other locations. It's not that anything was bad or anything like that, but you have to walk across the bridge, up through a super slow elevator, and into a massive convention center.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. It is a goal of ours for each guest to leave the hotel with a lasting and positive impression, and we are so very sorry to hear we failed at that this time. We are very excited to announce we will receiving a number of enhancements throughout the hotel and hope that you take notice. We hope that you and your group give us another chance in the future to restore our brand and loyalty to you. Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The only reason to stay here is because it is attached by skywalk to the convention center.
Overpriced and of questionable cleanliness. Mildew in corners, etc. I saw a shadow and made the mistake of looking inside my pillowcase. The pillow insert was stained and yellow. Totally unacceptable at this price point.
I will say, however, that all staff I came into contact with were outstanding. Friendly and pleasant and more than willing to be of assistance.
If you are there for a conference, you will survive. If you are going to Pittsburgh for any other reason, you can find a better hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. We would first off like to apologize for the experience you had at our hotel, as that is certainly not our standard. We strive to to go above and beyond at our hotel and are thankful to hear that our staff was able to provide you with that outstanding customer service that you deserve as a guest of ours. We hope that you give us another chance in the future to show you that we have listened to your comments and will make changes to assure you what you experienced will never happen again. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for a conference, and the mattresses and pillows were very comfortable. They also have an option of foregoing housekeeping in exchange for a $5 voucher or 500 SPG points, and they have many other green initiatives. The location next to the convention center was very convenient. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your rejuvenating comment! We are so happy to hear your enjoyed our heavenly beds and pillows! We also would like to thank you for taking notice in our green initiatives throughout our hotel and glad you were able to take advantage of the extra perks! We hope to have the opportunity to give you a warm Westin welcome in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I'm not going to convince you to pick another hotel. Chances are that you're likely staying here for the convention. But I'm going to warn you right outfront: this hotel has prices close to four-to-five stars. Your convention, be it business or pleasure, will be at a level that can warrant connection to the convention center of such massive size.

The staff though, intend to be a pleasure. It was clear Lafayette had been delivering refrigerators all day; the hotel concierge told me that we got the second to last at 8 PM. Yet, he had a good attitude when delivering it. He had the calm strength of someone who knew every refrigerator had to be delivered, and somehow found the ability to do it all night over the hotel. Very cool.

Also cool was our cleaning staff--I only remember Hilda's name, but she was very considerate and kind. It was very cool to see her write "Thank you!" every day-- or to have a positive attitude towards me when seeing me out in the hallway. Since I attended during a convention, who knows how many rooms she was cleaning? How many tipped her? (Moreover, she complimented my outfit. That's a quick way to win me over, haha.)

I only feel bad because though I complimented the staff to the concierges many times, the only way Westin recognizes my sentiments is writing it down here. If you stay here, and love your staff, get prepared to write your review.

Room Tip: I think this hotel has suites. Ask for a refridgerator, they're complimentary.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing the Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh. We are beyond thrilled to hear your refreshing comments about Lafayette and Hilda. They along with the rest of our staff work very hard to meet and exceed our guest requests and needs and we thank you for taking notice in their hard work. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I read all the reviews and we had no problems here. We've stay at many starwood properties because of SPG and this Westin met our expectations. Yes it could use an update but the room was clean and comfortable. The location can't be beat. We were in town to see a game and within walking distance to PNC Park and museums and restaurants. If you don't want to pay the parking, go to one of the city operated garages, I think I paid $9.75 for the night at I believe 9th and Penn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and the Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh! We truly value feedback, both positive and constructive, as we try to continually improve along the way. We have been listening to our guest comments and are excited to announce that we will be receiving a number of enhancements throughout our hotel over the next year! We hope that you come and visit us to see the new features in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel uses new technology which requires an additional room key be inserted into an outlet near the door to run the lights and air. The room was quite warm on check - in. I set the temperature to 70 degrees and warm air came out of the vents. Called the front desk. They told me to set the fan at maximum and the temp to 60 degrees to make it cooler. It worked, but I find it much different than most hotels. The phone set in the room was also a little confusing in contacting the front desk. No other problems. Good location downtown. Very comfortable beds with plenty of pillows.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for choosing the Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and heavenly beds! We apologize for the confusion with our energy savors in the room and hope that you give us another chance in the future to show you what a true Westin stay should feel like. Thanks again.