“A Solid Choice in Pittsburgh”

The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“A Solid Choice in Pittsburgh”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Got this on Hotwire for $140 as a 4 star choice in downtown Pittsburgh. I tend to be leery of hotels at convention centers because they seem to take an extra beating, but the facilities here are tidy and up to date. The location is very good and if you can snag a deal, all the better.

There's a garage under the hotel ($20 for 24hrs) ... word to the wise when you're down there -- there's an "Office" elevator bank and a "Hotel" elevator bank. You can get to the Westin if you come up the Office elevators, you just end up on the far side of the building.

I'd look for breakfast elsewhere if you're not on an expense account ... paid $10 for a bowl of oatmeal.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here on my next trip.

1 Thank May0rQuimby
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for expressing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure each and every one of our guests’ feel welcome and at home when they walk through our doors and we hope we achieved that! We are happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and I'm sure many of our future guests will find your elevator advice to be helpful! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Be Well, Be Westin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Wash. St.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here during a conference and were pleased with our room and the proximity to the convention center. Only frustration was that our "special rates" only offered 2 double beds, no queens or kings. Oh well. Anyway, it was a very spacious, spotless room. We had breakfast in the hotel the first and last morning. First morning, they had a wonderful buffet. Last morning (a Tuesday), no buffet which was a disappointment. Maybe they don't do them on mid-week mornings? Each day you don't have maid service (i.e., leaving the "do not disturb" sign on the door), you get a $5 coupon toward meals there. That was nice. Beds were comfy, staff was friendly. Hotel was very quiet.

Room Tip: Ours was quiet so probably good throughout hotel
Green Features: Very appreciated. We opted out of maid service each day, didn't feel need for new towels everyday, which is a huge waste of resources.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share a review. As we strive to achieve excellence in our hotel, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests. We are energized to hear how much you enjoyed our Heavenly beds and friendly staff. Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you soon for a refreshing stay.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Westin Hotel is well situated for convention participants. The hotel is clean, quiet and busy. In addition to clean and smartly appointed rooms, I was pleased to find a large health club for guests. It is a little walk to the "center" of things; however, there is a nice path on both sides of the river to run, if desired. Rachel is a professional at the front desk and is very thoughtful in answering your questions. I would rate it as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure each and every one of our guests’ feel welcome and at home when they walk through our doors and we hope we achieved that! We are glad you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel including the friendly staff and Westin Workout facility! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Everywhere
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Let me start by saying everything on the first floor of the lobby is great! Reception was welcoming and the bellmen are very considerate and helpful. And the location is very convenient.

Then when you get to the room you will notice that the shower drainage is pretty horrible. This is my second time staying here and it seems to be a consistent problem.
930pm: I call down to ask for maintenance.
9:50: no one has come. I call again. They assure me someone is on their way
10:30: I call and tell them an hour has passed and they apologize then send someone up.
10:45: Maintenance comes but tells me they can't run the snake after 10pm due to noise disturbing the other guests.
Honestly, that's a legitimate reason. However, if someone came when I called at 930 this wouldn't have been an issue.

Also, the Fridge/minibar is locked so you can't keep any leftovers or drinks in the fridge.
And there are very few outlets in the room and the ones that are present aren't in convenient locations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Noelle,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the Westin. We would first like to start off by saying we greatly appreciate your kind words regarding our lobby and front office staff members. Second, we hope that you accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you had with our showers. One of our standards here is to provide fast and extraordinary service when it comes to guest needs and we apologize if we missed the mark this time. Rest assure that this will be brought to the attention our management team so that does not happen again. Please accept our apology and we hope to have another chance in the future to provide you with the service and satisfaction that you deserve as a guest of ours.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had such a great stay at the Westin Hotel in Pittsburgh. I was there for the National Gymnastics Congress this past week. All the staff was very friendly and accommodating! I especially want to give a “shout out” to Brian the shuttle driver (shuttle is free within 1 mile radius of hotel)! He was so friendly and had great recommendations for places to eat in the area! He always seemed to keep his cool when his phone was ringing frequently for pickups at the Con Sol Center after the P & G Championships! My room was spotless when I arrived and had a great view of Pittsburgh! I loved the rainshower head in the bathroom. I also loved the $5 discount coupon as a alternative to having my room cleaned everyday and to be ECO friendly! Great stay in a beautiful city!

Room Tip: 24th Floor had a great view of Pittsburgh. Make sure you ask for view of the river.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel including our heavenly baths, and green initiatives. Our staff strives to go above and beyond for our guests and we thank you for taking notice in Brian's efforts! We hope you have the opportunity to visit Pittsburgh again soon!

Pleasant Grove, Utah
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed for 4 nights and 5 days and this hotel is outstanding!
Check-in was a breeze and the girl who checked me in was so helpful and cheerful. I asked for a high floor and I got one! I asked for a city view and she accommodated me!
The Workout Room is fantastic....one of the best hotel facilities that I have had! Numerous cardio machines, free weights, weight machines, dance floor with steps and balls and bands to use, ...clean towels, friendly staff, etc.
EVERY time that I called the operator for a wake-up call, with a question, or for Room Service, they were extremely friendly, helpful, using a soothing reassuring voice (kind of a corny description but as travellers know, you are tired when traveling and having a helpful person that isn't trying to get you off the phone is WELCOME!).
I did the "Green" No Service for my room each day because I am fine to reuse my towels....I do it at home and my room certainly had enough towels for me (and they were luxurious:)) I received the $5 coupon and I used my coupons for Room Service on my last night at the hotel.
My Turkey BLT sandwich was delicious! It was fresh, my salad was fresh! When I ordered it, the person who took my order said that my food would arrive within 30 minutes.....well, you tell me who has ever gotten their room service within 18 minutes?

Room Tip: High floor reduces street/vehicle noise......request to be far from the elevator and ice machine. C...
Green Features: I appreciate their environmentally-friendly practices! I believe in reducing waste at every level, whether it is recycling bin in the room or requiring less towels, sheets to be laundered.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your hotel including the Westin Workout facility, green initiatives and food options! It is our mission for our guests to leave the hotel with a positive and lasting impression and we hope we achieved that. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

columbus, OH
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We'd never been to Pittsburgh, and I wanted to get a room on a higher floor of a tall hotel so that we'd be able to see the skyline and rivers. I was NOT disappointed by the Westin, which was wonderfully elegant. Although I tried to confirm a room on a higher floor via reservations, I was told it would not be possible to confirm availability through the 888 phone line. I asked someone to email me the day of arrival so that I'd have an idea about whether our request was possible, and Amy Hutchison (not sure if she's on site) promptly responded that it wouldn't be a problem. Sure enough, we had a room on the top (26th) floor. Also, everyone was extremely polite and helpful while we were there. We'll come back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank teacherlady2
Caitlin M, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for telling us about your recent trip to Pittsburgh! We hope you enjoyed your first time in the city and were able to take in all the sites from the 26th floor! Amy Hutchison is a prime example of how our staff strives to go above and beyond for each and every one of our guests and we are so pleased you took notice in her efforts! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the Westin and Pittsburgh in the future.

Be Well, Be Westin!