“Could have been better”

Ranked #57 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cincinnati, United States
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I think they could have taken the discount, because the hotel was full. The breakfast was ok, but they didn't have were you could have made waffles, and they could have some kind of beef or turkey meat for breakfast. The hotel was in a good place to have resturants and places to shop.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Ed C, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, 8 October 2014
Yes I agree your stay could have been much better. I am a seasoned manager that the owner has brought in since your stay to fix all these problems so your next stay will be a WOW experience instead of a down experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed at this LaQuinta last week August 4th thru August 7th. I was skeptical after reading reviews. I was greeted by Sherry on arrival who was very helpful and courteous. The room was clean and bed comfortable. Upon arrival to room on August 5th at 11:00 PM no clean towels, soap or shampoo in the room. I went to the front desk for these items. The breakfast is terrible. Tables were filthy and disgusting. Coffee was light brown.. tasted like hot water. Only herbal tea provided. OJ machine out of order. The staff were not the bit interested in cleaning the tables, nor the counters where the food was. When asked about cream cheese for the bagel. Was told when the truck comes in tonight hopefully cream will be on it. I must say Sherry is an asset to the Laquinta in Pittsburgh.. as she is friendly, helpful and concerned. So Overall, if you stay away from breakfast, and check room at night for the incidentals, towels. It is an ok hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Krystal915
I totally agree with the review you gave on your stay. But here is the good news I am a very seasoned manager that the owner has hired to come in and fix the problems. Our breakfast is now one of the best in Pisstburgh and the breakfast staff has been replaced and trained in foodservice and guest service. I have replaced most of the housekeepers and trained them how to clean a room and refresh a stay over we have purchased ample supplies all new linen and towels so I do hope the next time you are in town you will give us a chance to WOW you on you stay
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Received wrong room type at check-in (we were there for 6 nights - total). Hotel unable to put us in correct room type. Took 3 calls to get a roll-away bed. Then the fun began...
Each day, we had to call for bath towels. One night, we called for towels and were brough hand towels. Coffee was never left in room. Had to call down for it, as well, or catch housekeeping. The grill on the A/C was open upon arriving. Called to have it fixed, it was not. Eventually, I fixed the grill so it would close properly and not be a temptation to play with for the kids.
Swimming pool is old and paint finish is peeling. Doesn't appear that anyone cleans/skims the pool on a regular basis.
Traveling with a handicapped child. One evening, a bus took up all the handicap spaces on one side of the hotel.
The beds were comfortable, but that is about the only thing I would give the hotel. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

3 Thank Brenda J
Dear Sir:
I totally agree with your comments but the good news is that the owner has brought me in since your stay to solve all of the complaints you have and other guest have. Let me tell you it is happening we are getting this hotel in line and taking care of our valuable guest like you. I do hope the next time you travel to Pittsburgh you will give us a chance to WOW you and your family.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If the smell from the kitchen area is any indication for how they keep the rooms I would never sleep here. Flies everywhere in the kitchen, filthy filthy filthy. Not worth the room rate at all! I couldn't believe the amount of dirty linen pilled up. And once again the smell, smh. It would take weeks to clean this place up...

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ericka T
I really should not even have to answer this review since the caterthat made it was a large part of the problem. I do agree that the kitchen did have some problems and they have been corrected we also do not allow this bad cater to do any functions in our hotel anymore.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

1) very difficult to get here (it's on a hill, GPS can get you there but then you have to figure out how to get up the hill; it's especially hard to do at night!)
2) they claim they're a "100% smoke free" hotel, I call false advertising on that one (read my review and the others that follow mine! - my room smelt like stale cigarettes and this smell was "masked" by a terrible old-lady perfume/air freshener -- mega gross!!!!)
3) WiFi here is mega weak
4) AC super noisy and only operated at one setting (made for a horrible nights sleep)
5) limited TV options [AND my remote only permitted me to turn the tv on and off, I couldn't change channels and the back was missing so the batteries were exposed)
6) the parking lot is leveled - the "ideal" spots are near the front door, then I suppose the back door, then there's a bottom level, but seriously what single girl wants to walk in a parking lot ALONE, on the LOWER level LATE at NIGHT??? hmm....
7) the price tag for all this wonderfulness.....INSANE!!! Even with my AAA rate I still paid around $120 for what I feel was absurd!

Seriously, if you want to stay at a LQ in the Pittsburgh area, try the airport location because this place is a disaster!!!!! Besides this was just a Holiday Inn that they just "rebranded" into a LQ....don't say you haven't been fairly warned!

• Stayed August 2014
I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience at the hotel but the good news is that because of reviews like yours the owner has brought me in to fix the problems and it is happening we are making real progress in the short 35 days I have been here. I do hope the next time you are in Pittsburgh you will give us a second chance
Bloomsburg, pa
Reviewed 7 August 2014

So thrilled with this facility! Sherry from the front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable. She shared about how this hotel is in a period of transition and I think this is something people should consider. Who cares what the outside of the building looks like....found those types of complaints silly! Also, in a day and age where pets are an extended part of your family, loved that my little guy was welcomed in the same manner as we were. What was upsetting is that people did not clean up after their pets which is sad, because it is these people who could ruin this very rare opportunity for those of who do as we are directed to. Beds were amazing and room was clean and without any issues. Breakfast was a little less than desirable but if you are hung up on breakfast, there is a McDonald's and Starbucks down at the bottom of the hill. For the price of this hotel and the ease both to PNC Park and Ross Park Mall, this place is a definite stop and somewhere we will return to next year! Thank you to all!

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your nice review we are very happy you were pleased with you stay at the hotel I hope to see you again for more ball games
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh / McCandless, PA
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#39 of 70 in Pittsburgh
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - Mcknight Rd.
La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
#56 of 70 in Pittsburgh
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Wexford-Sewickley

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight? Share your experiences!