“Shocked as soon as we pulled in!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight
Ranked #57 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Shocked as soon as we pulled in!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The moment we pulled in front of the hotel, we found about 20-30 people loitering near the entrance to the hotel. There was loud music blasting from the sitting area from over sized speakers. Once inside the lobby, we found more people hanging out and teenagers sitting on the floor in the "business center".
We realized this was a family reunion, so just dismissed everything hoping that our room would make up for the crowd in the lobby and outside of the hotel.
Everything in the room was up to par except it was missing the refrigerator and microwave, which was supposed to come with the room. We were told by the woman at the front desk that the guy who brings those things to the rooms had gone home early for the night. We were told we could keep the things we wanted to keep cold behind the desk. We declined. Again, no big deal, but just a little inconvenient.
The following morning my wife went down for breakfast and the family reunion had cleared out the entire breakfast and coffee. The breakfast attendant told my wife that they put out everything that they were going to put out and were not going to replenish the breakfast.
That night we had arrived back at the hotel after the event that we had come to town for and found an even bigger party going on with more people loitering.
We brought our bathing suits to enjoy the pool, but didn't feel comfortable using the pool facilities with all of the people hanging out partying by the pool.
Breakfast was the same deal on the following morning.
The room was great, I feel that the staff let this family reunion overrun the hotel and made the other guests, whom weren't part of the party feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor in the corner, so we didn't hear anything despite everything that was g...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ed C, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, 7 October 2014
I am a new experience Gen. Manager that has been brought in to make this hotel right. I can tell you that what you experienced on your last stay at this hotel will never happen here again or at any hotel I manage. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
SILVER SPRING, MARYLAND
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I chose this hotel as I was traveling with my dog on our way to Michigan. It was OK. We were put on the third floor and had to take an elevator - which was a problem as some of the guests told me they were afraid of dogs.
When I wanted to use the stairs to take my dog out, we went down four flights only to find the door was an alarmed emergency door only.
The grounds were OK for dogwalking. However the check-in process was lengthy even though I made a reservation. One receptionist was very nice, however, going to get me coffee as I could not take my dog into any of the public areas where there was food. Perhaps a pet-owners coffee bar (window) might be a good idea.
There were a couple large groups there and there was a lot of noise in the halls, which made my dog uneasy.This was OK for one night, but I likely will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Not sure if this hotel as ground floor rooms -- but if traveling with a pet you might want to inquir...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Ed C, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight, responded to this review, 8 October 2014
Thank you for your comments we are working hard to solve the problems you told us about. We have put all our animals on one floor now and have put in a pet waste station in the pet walking area. We can't take the alarm off the door for security reasons. I do hope you will return to see the great changes in our hotel
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located 10 minutes from PNC Park. It's clean and the staff is nice. Free parking. We spent one night there and everything was ok. Grocery and stores closed to location. That's all we need.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great review we are very close to PNC park and are very glad it made your trip easier so hope to see you the next time you are in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is an okay hotel, nothing too fancy at this price point. It could be better if they fixed their housekeeping issues.

On the pros,
-> the location off the road, overlooking the McKnight Siebert shopping area which has plenty of restaurants nearby,
-> the breakfast is fairly decent, with a nice selection of hot food that changes on a daily basis,
-> the reception team, particularly Vick and Sherry,
-> a fairly spacious hotel with quite a few amenities, including a vast car parking, an outdoors swimming pool and a fitness center, which is on the small side but definitely better than nothing.

On the cons,

-> Housekeeping; possibly the worst I have ever seen in decades of traveling. On the 5 days I stayed, they bothered to do the room only twice, and only because I talked to the reception each and every time. One day, the supervisor ended up doing it as I was told that housekeeping marked the room as done even though they obviously had not bothered even opening the door. It is no surprise then that such poor work ethics end up showing results on the room itself as illustrated by some of the things I observed when I entered on day 1: chewing gum wrappers left on the floor, a spider crushed on the wall, a stain on one pillow case as well as a cold tobacco scent, quite surprising in a non-smoking room.

In conclusion, this hotel could be a really good value if only they managed to get the housekeeping together.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Heilong777
I am so sorry about the bad stay and problems you had at our hotel. I am a very seasoned manager that they have brought in since your stay to solve the problems you experienced and more. I can tell you now things are changing. (for the better) I do hope you will give us a second chance to earn your business
Clarence, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Positives:

Comfortable bed and generally friendly front desk folks. Great location to get into downtown in short order.

Negatives:

Lobby carpet behind the check in desk as well as the cloth lobby furniture were filthy and looked they hadn't been cleaned in years.
Restaurant area was generally dirty and the lady "cleaning" the tables used the same filthy, tattered cloth rag every day probably putting more bacteria on the tables than she was taking off.
Mildew/mold around bath tub and Cobwebs and tape (covering holes) on room walls.

This s a very old property in desperate need of renovation.

Room Tip: In all honesty, I don't believe that there are any good rooms just ones that are less dirty than...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rick H
I am so sorry you had a bad stay at the La Quinta North and I agree with your comments but the good news is that I am a very seasoned manager the owner has brought into fix all these problems and I can tell you now it is happening. We hope you will come back and give us a second chance to WOW you with the good service and clean hotel
Cincinnati, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I think they could have taken the discount, because the hotel was full. The breakfast was ok, but they didn't have were you could have made waffles, and they could have some kind of beef or turkey meat for breakfast. The hotel was in a good place to have resturants and places to shop.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Yes I agree your stay could have been much better. I am a seasoned manager that the owner has brought in since your stay to fix all these problems so your next stay will be a WOW experience instead of a down experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Comfort Inn
#36 of 68 in Pittsburgh
Coraopolis
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
Sleep Inn & Suites Pittsburgh
#56 of 68 in Pittsburgh
Econo Lodge
#2 of 2 in Wexford

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North - McKnight? Share your experiences!