Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
  • Pool
US$235
US$225
  • Restaurant
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)
US$231
US$136
US$155
US$145
1,053 results
All reviewsshuttle servicefront deskfree shuttlewithin milescarnegie mellonpittsburgh universityfree breakfastoakland areavisiting pittnice breakfastthe hotel staffparking feeyogurtconvenient locationmile radiusnice staythe breakfast area
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This hotel was within a couple blocks of the various hospitals. We were given a reduced rate and no parking fee for being a patient at one of the hospitals. About 15 minutes after we checked into our room, we received a courtsey call to make sure the room was satisfactory. The room was very clean with a note saying the coverlets are cleaned after each guest and TV remote, tray, etc. had been sanitized. (I'm one who always checks mattresses for bedbugs!) My husband hates driving in an area he is not familiar with so we took the hotel shuttle to the hospital. The driver gave me a card so that when I was finished with my doctor visit, I could call for a pick up to return to the hotel. Checkout time is 12 noon. Did not get to try the breakfast, but there was a sign saying if you were in a hurry, a bag would be provided for a "breakfast on the go". There was microwave and refrigerator in the room. The staff was very polite and helpful!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on tripadvisor regarding our hotel. We are thrilled you were able to take advantage of our hospital rate and free parking. I'm happy to hear that our staff gave you a call up to your room after checking in to make sure your were satisfied. We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and are pleased to hear you consider us a great value. We are happy you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle service and disappointed you were not able to try our free hot breakfast buffet. Hopefully you were able to grab one of our free breakfast on the go bags on your way out. I'm very happy to hear your room was clean and sanitized. Thank you once again for placing your review on tripadvisor.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I recently made another recruiting trip to Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh for our football playing son. We stayed at the Hampton Inn this time after reading more reviews on TA and decided that since the weather was supposed to turn snowy, we might just stay in a hotel near the campus instead of the Freindship Suites in which we had stayed back in the fall. (see review from 10/11) This place is easy access off of I-376 and sports a view of downtown from one side of the building as well as the Monongehela(sp?) River. Carnegie Mellon and especially U. of Pittsburgh are a very short drive up Forbes Avenue. Check in was a breeze, we got into our room and they passed the dreaded bedbug check with flying colors. Breakfast was pretty good and the girl stayed on top of the rush pretty well. They had sliced sausage links one day that didn't agree with me so well, but, that wasn't her fault. I talked to the desk staff several times as well as the courtesy shuttle driver and they were all top drawer. The shuttle driver is a hoot to talk to and they will shuttle you three miles from the hotel for free. The housekeeping staff does an excellent job keeping things picked up and our room was immaculate for the two nights we stayed. Good hot water for long showers and the bathrooms were in pretty fair shape and were plenty clean. Overall I'd give the place a A-/B+ on grade for the following reasons. There were a few signs of wear here and there with a spot or two(stains) on the bathroom ceiling, a scratched name on the elevator door inside, a scratch or two on the furniture in the room and the pipes would make a vibrating sound sometimes when you took showers that sounded like they were jackhammering. I also have a problem with the parking fees these downtown hotels slip in on you. I was aware of the charge because I asked the girl when making the reservation if parking was free and was told there is a 14.00 charge per night. I just added this to the cost of the room when I was deciding on what hotel to stay at. I think that the hotels that charge these fees are doing this to gouge patrons and that they should include the fee in the room charge and make parking free. Do it all up front with the cost of the room. This is a peeve of mine and has changed my mind before on staying at hotels that do this. No major problems at all with this hotel and I would definitely stay there again as the staff is very friendly if you get to know them. I also would like to thank the head housekeeper Lacole for taking care of a problem when we stayed there for me. She went out of her way to return some things that I forgot at the hotel and left in a parking lot and is shipping them back to me. Thanks Lacole for the extra effort!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the South or West side of the building on the upper floors, the views look toward the river and downtown Pittsburgh. It was very nice to watch when the snows came in while we were there. You also get a discount if you call directly and let them know that you are including in your stay a visit to a University and maybe a hospital. The rate dropped to 129.00 a night for us vs. much more online.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank papagrit
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor regarding our hotel. We are so happy to hear that check in was a breeze and that you found our shuttle driver, housekeeping staff, breakfast staff, & front desk all very helpful. We are glad you had a room with a good view of the city & river and appreciate you pointing out the helpful room tip section as it will help others choose a very nice room based on your review. We are glad you decided to try us as a closer option for the university visit of your son. You mentioned the sliced sausage links did not agree with you so we sure hope you found some other choices that did agree with you and that you liked. We do offer a different selection of hot foods on our free breakfast buffet daily. Although we do charge for parking, we are one of the most reasonably priced parking charges in the area. We do apologize that we have to pass this cost on to our guests and we do appreciate your comments on this as well as your overall comments on our hotel and staff. We would love to have you choose us again when you are in Pittsburgh. Thank you once again for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip. The downtown and river viewpoint is amazing. Very near to major businesses centers.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 510
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Greetings! Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are happy you chose us and that you liked your view from your room along with our location in proximity to local businesses. You mentioned you were on the 5th floor. We do have 8 floors here so if you are in town next time, please check out the 8th or 7th floor. The views are absolutely amazing! Thank you once again for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I was staying in Pittsburgh for an interview at UPMC. This hotel was within walking distance to the hospital, although they have a free shuttle so you don't need to walk unless you really want to. They have a decent fitness center, and a free hot breakfast which was nice. The location is OK, not much to do right around the immediate but nice areas within a short drive. Overall its a great inexpensive place to stay near the hospital and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Greetings,
Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are happy you found our hotel a great location for your UPMC interview. We hope you had a great interview and that you will be back to stay with us again. We are thrilled to hear you had great service & our staff was friendly. You mentioned you liked our fitness room and we do offer free passes to an offsite fitness club as well. Thank you once again for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed here for business late last week. I was very impressed with the service there especially during the snowstorm. The shuttle took me right where I need to go and the driver was very sweet and accommodating. The personnel at the front desk were able to check me in early. The breakfast was hot and actually nutritious. The cardio room was a little small but had 3 machines and a nice TV. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Greetings,
Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. Yes, the weather can be bad here sometimes but our shuttle drivers are used to driving in all conditions. We are very happy to hear we were able to get you to your location even though the weather was bad. I'm very pleased to hear our staff treated you well and that you found our free hot breakfast buffet nutritional. Although our fitness room is small, we do offer free passes to an offsite full service gym that we shuttle to as well. If you are in town again, we would love to have you stay and you can get one of those free passes for the other fitness facility if you wish. Thank you once again for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.