“Friendly staff and very comfortable”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Friendly staff and very comfortable”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

At first I was disappointed that I was going to have to travel every morning for the conference which was being held downtown. But when I saw the difference in service and services that I received here vs the "Fancy Downtown Hotel", I was so pleased I registered late for the conference and got to discover this place. It is so convenient to the interstate and to many of the universities. It is even next door to a playhouse and I was able to catch a play put in by The Point Park university.

• Stayed April 2013
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate your comments on the staff and the use of our shuttle. We receive many great comments on our customer service and about how wonderful our staff is. Glad you enjoyed the play next to our hotel the performances are great always from Point Park University students.
Jonathan Zottola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Overall, the hotel is a good hotel in a convenient university location. Good staff. Good breakfast with healthy options.
Our stay was a big let down because we got a room that reeked of cigarette smoke and chemical cleaners that tried to cover it. I asked for a different room but they were fully booked and no other rooms were available because we checked in late. They basically gave us the worst room and they knew about it. That night we had a hard time sleeping. My young daughter coughed and I sneezed all night. The second night was a bit better because we aired out 50% of the stench from the room. Now as we get home our clothes smell with the same stench. It's just a shame and not fair. I will take it up with my credit card company since I paid for a smoke free room and didn't get one.
It just a shame. Although I am a Hilton honors member, my family or anyone else should not have to deal with that. Housekeeping should have notified the front desk instead of trying to cover it up and we should have been put up at their sister hotel down the street.

1 Thank RGendo
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I understand the freshness of the room was of concern during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our hotel's priority; therefore, I have brought your comments to our hotel team to resolve this situation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and if you would please contact me directly, I will be more than happy to rectify this situation with you.
Best Regards,
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have stayed here a few times and have rarely been disappointed. We have 2 kids at the University of Pittsburgh and the location of the hotel is perfect for walking to the campus and their houses they are currently renting. We always walk due to the limited parking, which would be my only negative comment. Since there is a fee for parking your car there it would seem only natural that there would be a sufficient amount of spaces. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the breakfast was decent & edible. There were more options for breakfast than most places we have stayed at. This hotel is our preferred hotel when visiting the kids & we would recommend this to family & friends.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Christine K
Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate being your hotel of choice when visiting your children at the University of Pittsburgh. Glad you enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast that has 3 different hot items on everyday. Hope to see you soon on your next visit to Pittsburgh.
Monroe, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My family stayed here for my son's college trip to CMU. I found the rooms small, dirty and the parking fee ridiculous. It was also a very inconvenient and ugly location with a lot of abandoned buildings. I stay in a lot of Hilton brand hotels, and Hampton is starting to make me decide to switch to marriott. You know you are in a bad hotel when you see hair on the supposedly clean sheets and the towels are dirty - yuck!

• Stayed April 2013
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank You for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area and we apologize for the housekeeping problems and the other inconviences you experienced. Unclean rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest houskeeping standards and that our guests are 100% satisfied with their stay. We hope you will give us another chance if you visit the area in the future.
Best Regards
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Reservation was for 2 night stay, mid week. Got there late at night. No parking on site. Had to park across the street. Got to my room and got punched in the face by the stench of cigarette smoke. Went downstairs and asked for another room. Was told there were no rooms left, but I could trade out the next day. Gave the room another go (as it was now after midnight), but could not take it. The manager apologized, but couldn't do anything for me. What they could have done is not oversold their rooms in the first place. It was obvious that mgmt knew this room was unrentable, which was why it was the last room they rented. What they should have done was offer to comp me another room at another hotel. They didn't. I wrote the hotel to let them know about the incident. Not a peep from them.Would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank rebrophy
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
We are extremely sorry about your most recent stay here at the hotel and issued you a full refund and also mailed you a free gift certificate for a future stay at Hampton. Thank you for being a loyal Hilton Honors customer please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the smell of smoke and the subsequent consequences. We have a track record of delivering high service to all guests and even though we stumbled on this occasion your criticism will make us a better hotel.
Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Clean, comfortable hotel. friendly staff. very convenient location, minutes from downtown, Phipps Conservatory, University and medical center. free hourly shuttle with friendly female shuttle driver who gave great advice: re things to see and places to go. (The young male shuttle driver has an attitude & is a bit unreliable). Decent buffet breakfast with a make- your- own waffle station, although could have more selection for vegetarians. Good complimentary wi-fi connection. Free printer in lobby.

• Stayed March 2013
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your wonderful comments about breakfast, staff, location and your clean room. I do however apologize that one of our drivers was not very friendly and that is unacceptable. I thank you for bringing this to my attention so we can discuss this appropriately. We hope you will return to Pittsburgh and stay with us again.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We were so pleasantly surprised at how EASY this hotel was. Not only was the location great with the proximity to downtown and the medical center but there is a free shuttle that takes you anywhere within a 3 mile radius. Also, all the staff really tried to make our stay as enjoyable and simple as possible. There was free parking right there, not a half hour wait for the valet to deliver it like the other local hotel we stayed at. Beverly, Rachel, Jonathon, John, Hannah and Kristina all made our stay so easy and simple. Of course there was a free continental breakfast and the area was always so tidy even though there were a lot of guests that took advantage of the breakfast bar. This was a medical trip for us so to have a clean, easy place to rest in the evening was a great break.

Room Tip: Didn't seem like there would be a bad room here.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you tried our hotel and found us a great choice. I'm happy to hear you found our hotel a good location for visiting the hospital and also clean and a great staff to help you with your stay. We sure hope your medical visit went well. We hope you will once again choose us when you are visiting Pittsburgh again.