Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The hotel was very clean, bright, and room was spacious. Shuttle service to my meeting was a welcome plus. However, service on weekend evenings was less efficient. The hotel might offer a second shuttle to accommodate busiest times.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Matt M, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor. I’m glad you found your room comfortable and that our shuttle service was convenient for travel to your meeting. We look forward to your next stay here in Pittsburgh!

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Hampton Inns are always a good bet when traveling and seeking affordable lodging and clean accommodations. I enjoyed my 4 night stay at the Hampton Inn University Center. I stayed in a two-queen bed room. It was very clean, had a mini-fridge and a coffee maker, and what I really liked best was the fresh, clean bedding and nice pillows. The other amazing thing was how quiet it was in the room, no city traffic noise at all for all four nights! So, I can say I got a great night's sleep every night! The rooms are a bit small, kind of tight getting around. No room for a real armchair, just a small straight chair like you would put in a dining room. The hot breakfast buffet was very typical of Hampton Inn fare. They don't profess to have a gourmet breakfast, but you can get hot food, make a waffle or toast and they serve really decent coffee. All front desk staff that I spoke to were very pleasant and professional. The free shuttle service is a great convenience for guests. Over the weekend, the shuttle fell way behind due to a show in town, and many guests trying to get a ride there, while others wanted a ride to go out to eat. Although there are some dining choices in walking distance, the closest ones, being near the University, were geared toward college students. No real high-end dining in the neighborhood, but if you take the shuttle to the South Side, the ride is short and there are many excellent dining choices. This hotel is close to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and makes a great choice for those who need to come into town for appointments there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Travelswithlabs for your detailed review. We always appreciate when guests leave us feedback as it helps us better our hotel. I’m glad you were able to get a great night sleep each and every night. I’m happy your overall stay with us met your satisfaction and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

If you're visiting the area of the Medical Campus, motel is excellent location. They also provide a free shuttle. Service is great. Parking close to the motel is a bit limited, but a second lot is available. Parking is not free. The building is clean and well kept, but it is starting to show its age. Breakfast was okay ----- typical motel food. Overall, a nice place to visit, but not quite up to an "excellent" rating.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Matt M, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thanks Peter P. for taking time to review our hotel. I just want to thank you for recognizing our convenient location as well as out "great service." We strive to make every guest's stay an excellent one and I am disappointed we fell just short of this. I hope you come back to Pittsburgh and stay with us as I know we can achieve an excellent rating. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have been staying at this Oakland Hampton Inn for years monthly and every trip you are welcomed warmly like a once a year family reunion but every month. The Manger and Asst bend over backwards to assure you have everything you could possibly need and always fun to chat with them also.The shuttle itself sells this hotel alone without even stepping a foot in the lobby as well. As long as i have accounts in Pitt in will never stay anywhere else .

2  Thank Dean K
Matt M, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you Dean K for your review of our hotel here in Pittsburgh. We have enjoyed having you over the years and it is always nice to see a familiar face come through our doors. Thank you for all the kind words about the hotel and we will continue to work hard to maintain the positive experience you have had thus far. Can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Hampton Inns are our preferred hotels when my wife and I travel, and we use them often. We would rate most of them very good. This Hampton which we stayed in for three nights on a recent leisure trip to Pittsburgh was the best we have ever stayed in.

Our excellent experience began when my wife booked the hotel by phone. She had questions about what to see, how to get around, and what restaurants were recommended. She got lots of helpful information, and was treated as if they had nothing better to do than chat with her. Based on that booking experience, my wife assured me that we had made the right choice.

The hotel has free shuttle service that leaves the hotel on the hour, that will take you anywhere within three miles, and that will come to pick you up within that same radius when you call. We were arriving by train, and we decided that with that service we didn't need to rent a car to get around and see the sights. That saved us not only the cost of a rental, but also the cost of parking at the hotel.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent with three hot selections that were varied each day, and included items such as scrambled eggs, bacon, turkey sausage, pork sausage, and little quiches. There was the waffle maker, oatmeal, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, cold cereals, bagels, muffins and breads, juices, coffee and teas. It doesn't get any better for free.

Our room was fine: roomy, comfortable, clean, and in good repair. It had a coffee maker and a mini-frig, but no microwave.

The hotel is located in the Oakland section, a couple of miles from the center of town, but it is adjacent to the University of Pittsburgh, and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and not far from Carnegie Mellon University. Schenley Park and Phipps Conservatory are not far. Forbes Avenue has restaurants and bars, and the restaurants of Station Square are ten minutes away by shuttle.

It was evident that customer satisfaction was the aim of everyone we encountered in the hotel. The service was great!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank practans

Dear Practans, Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I want to personally thank you for all of your kind words about our hotel itself and the staff we have here. I will pass along all of your praise to them as they work hard to satisfy all of our guests. I am pleased you found our complimentary breakfast “excellent”. We cannot wait to have you stay with us again here in Pittsburgh! Thank you again.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

You won't find better service and more friendly staff. Plus, the hotel is so conveniently located if you are visiting the Universities. The shuttles take you where you need to go and pick you up when you call—I didn’t need to rent a car and probably won’t if I go back to Pittsburgh. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Matt M, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you MaryH for taking the time to review our hotel. I want to personally thank you for such great words about our staff. I'm pleased to read about how our shuttle service made it convenient for getting you around where you need to go. Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed at this property for one night on a business trip. The hotel is not too far from the University area and they have a free shuttle that leaves at the top of the hour which makes it very convenient. The open parking lot is right in front of the lobby and even though they charge $14 per day it is one of the cheapest parking available in the area. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Tracy who was also our shuttle bus driver the next day. Check-in was quick and check-out was even quicker the next morning. My room was on the top floor (8th) and had a view of the river. The room was decent sized and clean. The king-sized bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. Morning continental breakfast had plenty of choices with some hot items and fruits. They also had free coffee and cookies 24-hours a day though the coffee was cold later in the day. They also had free mints at the reception desk. Overall it was a nice comfortable stay.

1  Thank IcameIsaw

Dear lcamelsaw, thank you for your kind review. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy the many amenities our hotel has to offer. I also appreciate you noticing our staff's efforts to make every guest’s stay as enjoyable as possible. We look forward to your next stay with us here in Pittsburgh.