“True City-Highway Hotel”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Based on a previous post, I was expecting a "newer" hotel. Nicely referbished, but the bones of the hotel are much older. Get ready for a hotel surrounded by streets and a major highway or two. If you are OK with the constant hum of cars, then the hotel will be OK for you.

The staff went out of its way to give me the most quiet room as possible. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The room was very clean, but a little on the small side. Business center is very small and basic with one computer and printer. If you have plans for the Univ of Pitt or CMU this hotel is an OK choice. Otherwise, I would probably stay in the downtown area next time.

The self parking is right outside the main lobby. Easy parking, but you have to pay $14 to self park....apparently common in Pittsburgh. Very close self park avoids hastles with valet and parking garages.

The Hampton breakfast experience is usually average to below average, but this place had the worst Hampton breakfast yet. The one hot meal was apparently egg and cheese on a bagel.....maybe? Very tiny yogurts, small bread/bagel selection. I did not like the whole breakfast set-up. "Free" breakfast did not seem worth it this time.

There is a Panera Bread two blocks a way, and a more places to eat closer to Univ of Pitt. I recommend a GPS to find the hotel or you may have problems, as mentioned in previous posts.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 November 2009

Perfectly fine hotel in a good location. No issues with the condition of the room or the overall cleanliness. Nothing was broken or worn. Only compliant was they made up their beds somewhat oddly - too many sheets and covers were tucked into each other.
Staff was polite and helpful, though we didn't have much luggage or any special needs.

Yes there's a charge for valet parking, but $14 with in and out privs is not gouging. If you really have an issue you can find on street parking in the neighborhood if you don't mind walking a few blocks.

The neighborhood abounds in cheap eateries. and a couple of S'bucks are within a block or two. I'd stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I am a frequent Hilton properties visitor (Hilton Diamond). This is a very nice hotel, clean, fairly new and in a surprisingly convenient location. For instance, "South Side" of Pittsburgh is literally across the bridge (great shopping, restaurants, etc.) Oakland is a cool location as well (home of University of Pittsburgh and many of the city's great hospitals).

My big complaint is that I'm traveling on business tonight and I needed to come back to the hotel to do some work. The internet connection is abysmal - I had to give up and use a data card for any work I needed to do (not great, but better than what the hotel offered.) For a hotel of this age I would have expected better. It was literally unusable. This is really a show-stopper for me for future visits. The only other negative is that parking is a little limited and the hotel is rather "crammed" in to the city (Oakland, a mini-city within Pittsburgh). That's OK, many "city" Hampton locations are like this (and frankly, the $14 parking is a bargain compared to other cities). Would I recommend this property? Yes - as long as you aren't counting on the internet to do anything "productive" (or even watch Hulu with the family or anything else that requires bandwidth).

In fact, the speed was so bad that I'm not even using the hotel's internet connection to write this (it timed out... so I defaulted to using my data card). Can you tell I'm frustrated? Just to be clear however - I GREATLY appreciate the cleanliness and (surprisingly) quiet rooms.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank noneshallpass
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This Hampton experience was disappointing overall. We spent over 60 minutes trying to find it after getting directions from the front desk staff (twice), and we were within 1.5 miles! Even the landmarks used did not make sense at the time as I misheard the cross street name. Once we did arrive; frustrated and very hot there was not a word of acknowledgment from the front desk. Later that evening we found a pair of mens boxers under the footstool in our room. Again... not a word . The last issue was getting someone else's bill under our door in the morning.
Our previous experience at Hampton has been much more positive. I would say this one has some personnel/management issues to address.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doyt
Reviewed 12 August 2009

This was our first trip to Pittsburgh so it was tough to pick a hotel at randem. We lucked out with this pick. The hotel is located in Oakland, within walking distance of the University of Pittsburgh. It is a newer hotel - nice lobby and very nice rooms. The bedding is soft and the bathrooms are modern. That's important to me. We had a great view of the city as well. There was free wi-fi, HBO and breakfast.

One added plus to the hotel was the shuttle service. It leaves at the top of every hour and will take you anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel. When you are ready to return, you call them and they come get you. We used it extensively all weekend and were very pleased with the service.

The hotel staff was curteous and knowledgeable about the area. We got very good recommendations from them.

The only negative I can think of is the eggs. They were gross. The rest of the breakfast was good.

If I return to Pittsburgh for any reason, I will stay at this hotel, without a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2009

This is my favorite hotel chain and this one lived up to my expectations. Room was clean, bathroom was unique (no bathtub, nice shower). Great Views of the city and one of the rivers (don't know which one) Parking is $14 per night, they give you a tag to hang on the rear view mirror.

One note this hotel is difficult to find and drive into. This was my first time and I had no idea how hilly this city is, my goodness! If you have a Large SUV you'll find Navigating the Hampton's parking lot and Pittsburgh in general to be challenging.

I was in town for the Regatta and Fourth of July Fireworks. I tried driving downtown and parking but this was a mistake, after an hour caught in traffic I made it back to the hotel and got a taxis. It was about a $10 ride. What I didn't know is that Taxis are hard to come by in Pittsburgh so be warned that you'll have a bit of a wait to get one back to the hotel. I just wandered around for about a half hour until I snagged one around 2:30am (Bars close at 2am)

The city seems extremely safe and the streets are basically deserted after 11pm.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We went to Hampton in this Summer and stayed for a couple of nights. The front desk people seemed to seize us up and down before deciding what to answer when we asked them any questions, giving us the impression that we were bothering them asking for directions and so forth. They did not volunteer to tell us about the hotels free shuttle service in a 3- mile radius when we asked for directions to find a bus that went downtown. Actually the cleaning personell and other guests we talked to were much more helpful. We also overheard other guests calling the hotel "crappy", saying they would never have stayed at this hotel had it not been that it is located so close to Shenley Park.
The aircondition in our room made a lot of noise and was not able to keep the temperature in the room anyway near stable. It went from very hot to freezing several times during the night. The mattresses were worn out, so when we were sharing a queen bed we both kept rolling down into the midsection of the mattress, which together with the temperaturechanges in the room caused us to wake up several times during the night. The breakfast was very good though. But we wil never stay here again. We have just been travelling around US for 3 weeks, and this was definately the worst hotel we slept in, even though it was in the prizier end compared with other hotels we stayed at during our trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family