“Nice place”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coeburn, Virginia
“Nice place”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to book this place for a nice romantic stay away for the weekend. The staff here was all very nice and helpful (especially all valet staff). However, I am mid 20's my boyfriend 30 and this place had mostly older adults staying here. We did not realize there was not as much to do in this area at late night. We went back to our hotel one evening after exploring and there was a jazz type band playing in the lobby with a lady singing who seemed to be in her 70's. If you're into this type of music it was great but seemed more for an older crowd. The hotel was pretty nice but not sure that I would pay $300 a night again to stay here. We had a King deluxe room overlooking the mt washington which was a great view but the room was nothing exceptional. It did have a mini bar but one small "airplane" sized bottle of liquor was $9 added to your room bill and a small box of m&ms was $9. If you're looking for a nice relaxing atmosphere this is a nice place but if you're going to a steelers game and want the experience of the game i would stay across the bridge near the field. We would stay here again just for the quietness but next time we go to a game we will definitely stay near the field.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovestoshop13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Greensboro, Georgia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a modern styled Fairmont, unlike their classic styled hotels. Rooms are attractive and up-to-date (seems new). My issues were the bathroom and towels. There is a sliding "barn" door on the bathroom which provides some sight privacy, but allows noise back into the room. The toilet is not is a separate room, just blocked off by an open wall. There is a single sink and small counter area. What could they have been thinking with this layout in a luxury hotel? We were given three towels each day. I'm sure we could have received more with a call to housekeeping, but again, why select the number "three" towels for two people? A separate shower and tub were in keeping with luxury standards. As usual for Fairmont, service was gracious and accommodating.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is new and wonderful, airy and warm at the same time, from the lobby to the rooms. The service is impeccable . Centrally located, it is a great place from which to explore the city, shops and theaters. I really enjoyed the hotel

• Stayed November 2013
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay. I have shared your feedback with our colleagues and recognized them for their outstanding service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Bernd Pichler
Front Office Manager
New York
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Two caveats: This was my first trip to Pittsburgh and the only Pittsburgh hotel I've stayed. Second, we were upgraded to a suite--but even if the standard rooms are half as wonderful, I would still imagine them to be plenty nice. This is a first class, terrific hotel. Staff were pleasant and professional. Rooms are new, clean and well designed-Views and location are the tops.The lobby bar is not my style, but the lobby itself was nice, modern, tons of light. This hotel is a winner. I only wish it were the standard.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2013

On the plus side:
The hotel looks nice and is well furnished. The location is central. The rooms are large and new looking. And as a Fairmont PC Platinum member, I was welcomed by an enormous cheese platter.

On the negative side:
The walls are thin and I could hear my neighbour's TV.
I don't know about other Pittsburgh hotels but the prices charged by the Fairmont were pretty high.
As a Fairmont PC Platinum member, I should have Fairmont Fit gym clothing provided but this was forgotten. And Fairmont never awarded me frequent flyer miles for my stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to learn that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments regarding Fairmont Fit to our Health Club and updated your profile to ensure that this does not happen again. Please reach out to me directly at the hotel and I would be happy to look into your frequent flyer points.

Bernd Pichler, Front Office Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Revisited the Pittsburgh Fairmont last month and, once again, found it to be the only place to book downtown. Initially, I had to overcome some booking challenges because the Pirates were still in the running when I called. Regrettably, my hopes for a Pirates/Red Sox world series were not fulfilled. Thanks to Stephen Crawford (Assistant Front Office Manager), and Lisa McLean of the Fairmont President's Club, I received an upgrade that will spoil me for all future business trips. However, in the past, every room has been well-appointed, often with a great view of downtown and/or the river and nearby hills.

The health club has great equipment and even nicer people. The hotel's location is near one of the city's most prominent squares, with numerous restaurants and coffee shops within an easy stroll. The hotel's AV engineer solved a minor connection problem and then proceeded to link the music in my iPad to the sound system- what a treat!

I very much look forward to returning in a few months and was even inspired to stick with the Fairmont chain when booking a forthcoming pre-Christmas trip to Santa Monica.

Green Features: Fairly new property which seems to have thought through ways to improve its environmental footprint.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am pleased to learn that Stephen was able to make your stay a memorable one, and I have recognized him for his outstanding service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Pittsburgh soon.

Bernd Pichler, Front Office Manager
Chalk Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My fiance and I stayed here in January 2013. It was a wonderful experience, we went for his birthday and had an amazing time. Took the subway over to the casino and had dinner at Elements, which was really good but REALLY expensive. Then again,we did order $400 worth of food, and it was a lot of food lol (We had a gift certificate for the meal.) Great hotel and great time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple