“A Taste of Home”

Ranked #9 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“A Taste of Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I have found my stay at The Mansion at Maple Heights to be most serene and charming. The spaciousness of the property is magnificant and the energies are happy and welcoming, as are the personaities of the staff as well. Chef James is most delightful to speak with in the mornings and he has my coffee ready for me each morning! Scott is always accommodating and gracious upon my arrival, carrying my heavy luggage to the 3rd floor without complaint (and that's no picnic!)! It's conveniently located to great spots and downtown too. The property is extremely clean and well maintained and landscaped as well, much like most 4* hotels. Staying here is a home-away-from-home feel, and I highly recommend this as a Must when visiting PIttsburgh.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Millie0603

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

The Mansion at Maple Heights is a delight if you are looking for great location, delicious breakfast, genuine helpfulness, and safe space. As a middle aged woman who travels to Pittsburgh alone to visit family, I continue to stay at the Mansion. I can easily walk to museums, shopping, and restuarants. When at thr Mansion, I sit on the library reading a book, and am happily left to my book with an occasional, "Can I get you anything?"

On my recent stay, I met two couples who were visiting Pittsburgh. In the easy, low key attitide at the Mansion, conversation was easy to strike up and we shared a glass of wine and sight-seeing tips.

I personally like the "just the basics" style of the Mansion. Never once did I feel that I was a character in the Shining as did the other reviewers, but I guess it depends on preferences. I don't care for hovering service nor a cluttered environment.

Room Tip: I like room one, the suite. but all rooms are comfortable. It is a small inn. No extras like pools...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MomonPatrol
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

We rented the mansion and it's grounds for our wedding. All 5 rooms were booked to house our family. Although our wedding turned out beautiful, the service provided at the mansion for overnight guests was less than stellar. They would not let us check in to the facility till 3pm. We arrived at 245 to unload the car and they would not let us in the gate. Our family had to frantically unload everything for the wedding and be ready for rehearsal at 5pm. Unfortuantely do this we were stuck in traffic and ended up there late. Breakfast was a nightmare the day of the wedding. Breakfast was supposed to be served from 8-10. We arrived in the kitchen at 8am and the chef was there to take our orders. Meals came one at a time! It took well over an hour for some meals. Food was decent, nothing fancy. We asked for eggs benedict and the chef didn't know how to make this. He did try his best on Sunday though. We were not aware that an innkeeper was on staff during the night and never felt very welcome or comfortable in this B&B,

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nikinphila
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We've stayed at lots of B&B's all over the world, and choose this place based on review. The place is really designed for weddings not overnight guests. I agree with another reviewer - it has a "Shining" vibe. Empty house, not much furniture. I guess the highlight was breakfast because the chef had so much personality. Eh. The owner should spend the night and get a real feel for this place. Lots of personal touches missing.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Ont. Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed a night at the Mansion on our way home from Florida,because of the glowing reviews. We were very excited to be going there and it was out of our way,but as we love old Inns and Manors we thought it was worth the effort,but we wer sadly disappointed. We arrived and had a nice welcome from Scott he helped us to our room and gave us a quick history of the Mansion. He was helpful with dinner plans and directions.
We found the mansion stark and cold,there was not a stick of furniture anywhere, the dining room was set up with options for weddings and the breakfast room,where we were told we would have breakfast in the morning had round party tables with folding white chairs and candy pink table cloths.
Our room on the second floor was fine. It had a beautiful fire place and a comfortable bed, but no comfy chairs, we had two upright arm chairs. A small sofa or a more relaxing chair would have made such a difference,as there were no others in the entire house as far as I could see. There was a nice flat screen TV in the room but to enjoy you would need to be in bed.
I felt I was in "The Shining" we never saw any other guests.
We went down in the morning for breakfast and couldn't find anyone, no smell of food cooking, but the tables were set(candy pink cloths)my husband knocked on the door to the kitchen and a nice young fellow came out and asked our wishes for breakfast. Pancakes with bacon which were good and he was very nice.

I feel that the Mansion could have been so much more, if only the more attention was paid. It needs to have some furniture and a warmer atmosphere. No signs of life anywhere, dismal, it was very unformfortable, it left us cold....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank melissaC2
No. VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed just one night here while visiting child at college. Price was reasonable for the city, but we were underwhelmed by the property. Our room, while spacious, was very sparse. The private bath dingy (hole in wall, mildew in tub, no where to place toiletries). The walk-in closet was great, containing plenty of hanging space, an ironing board and hair-dryer, it was far larger than the bathroom.
Breakfast was plentiful, "James" will make you anything you desire. The food was about what I could make at home without trying very hard. Good and filling, but nothing unusual.
We were a bit surprised by the stay really, but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Traveled to Pittsburgh to join our daughter and her boyfriend for a 'blast from the past" concert at the Carnegie by The Psychedelic Furs. The Mansion at Maple Heights was a journey into a by-gone era also. What a wonderful opportunity to experience the opulence of one of Pittsburgh's historic titans. The property sits on a hill behind behind some condominium complexes overlooking the Oakland area. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the estate retains it's architectual integretity and is secure and clean. The furnishings are simple but this makes it easier to put the personal touch on the facility if you are hosting an event such as a wedding for which it seems to be a popular choice. Our room was very cozy and quiet. Breakfast was delicious and again the staff did everything they could to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. This will be our bed of choice on future visits to Pittsburgh! Thanks again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family