“Do not even think of staying here”

The Mansion at Maple Heights
Ranked #7 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We arrived exactly on time in Oct. 2013 and our room wasn't ready. We waited about half an hour and were shown to a room that was very cold, drab and with very dirty carpets. We didn't realize til bedtime that our linens had most likely not been changed from previous guest as there were two used tissues inside the VERY wrinkled sheets. Not til next morning did we realize we only had one bath towel for 3 of us.
Staff turned on heat for us but during the night it was stuffy and hot with all windows nailed shut.
Worst of all is that I mentioned all this to young man on weekend duty who told me manager would call me. He didn't. Even after I left TWO messages.
Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank DelrayDewey
There are newer reviews for The Mansion at Maple Heights

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have stayed at this place several times and just love it. My boyfriend and I like to try different Bed and Breakfasts every couple months but still keep coming back to this one. Very spacious and private. Rooms are clean and beautiful! Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion for a weeknight in September. We had no problems at all with the staff- they were all accommodating and friendly from reservation through check-out. The mansion itself is in a great location in Pittsburgh, tucked away, but still right in the city. We stayed in Room 4 and it was very spacious and comfortable. We had clean sheets and towels. Breakfast was very good and the chef was really nice. I must have had higher expectations overall based on the Mansion's website, though, because I thought the walls and carpeting in our room and the upstairs hallways and common area needed attention. Everything's renovated nicely, but just didn't seem clean or well kept. It didn't affect our stay, just didn't fit the impression I had before we arrived.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I booked a night for three in June. After driving nine hours and ending up in Pittsburgh at 8:45, I called the Mansion to clarify how to find them. At that time I was told I had no room, that a "glitch" in their computer system had allowed them to doublebook their rooms and that they had emailed me and left a voicemail message saying so, refunded me the cost of the room, and that they would send out a voucher for a free night's stay as compensation. Oh, where to begin...
1 - They have five rooms. They're dependent on a computer system to tell them their rooms are already booked?
2 - I checked both my home phone and cell phones three times - no voicemail message telling me about the cancellation.
3 - When I could get on email there was one from them, sent the night before I left. It was brief, impersonal, and apologized for "the inconvenience". What a hackneyed phrase.
4 - One month later and I had still not received a refund nor a voucher.
5 - I sent off an email expressing my frustration and received no response or acknowledgement of its receipt. Two weeks later I call and ask about it - they claim they didn't receive it, though they confirmed I'd used the correct email address. I resend it. I call and say that it's been resent and would a manager look at it and call me back. No one calls.
6 - I finally manage to track down the general manager. He finally refunds me. Tells me "she" had sent me an email responding to mine. Mysteriously I never received it. I ask him to resend it. Two months later, it still hasn't shown up.
7 - I call Shawn again. He has no idea why the email response hasn't shown up. I asked about my request for the Mansion to compensate me the $33 difference I had to spend for other accommodation that night. He told me that wasn't going to happen, but that hey had sent me a voucher. It's been three months - no voucher. They'd rather send me a voucher with a value of $147 than pay me $33? That's good business. Last I heard, Shawn would call me back by 5:00 because there was a customer waiting. That was four days ago. I'm not holding my breath.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Kathie S
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed four nights with my wife and two young daughters. We stayed in Room #2, it was ready when we arrived. The staff had moved a window air conditioning unit into the room to ensure our comfort, and provided an air mattress for my two girls. Our bed was extremely comfortable. Our room and the common areas were clean and well kept, daily housekeeping. Staff was visible, friendly, and outgoing, Shawn & James in particular. James asked if there was anything he could provide at the next day's breakfast, and my daughter's were thrilled to find their chocolate milk request had been fulfilled. Breakfast was fast and made to order. 3rd floor has a kitchenette available for all to use, and also has a private media room. The home itself is both is beautiful & historic, it's limited number of rooms keeps it quaint. The lawn on the side of the house can be used for recreation and/or outside photos. Parking is private and including in the room rate, located immedietly in front of the house, Surrounding Shady Side neighborhood is safe, location excellent as it is in walking distance to Carnegie Mellon campus & museums. Would recommend the Mansion at Maple Heights to travelers of all kinds, and we plan to stay there again our next time in Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SenorDonGato
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My wife and I wanted a quiet , romantic 1-night stay in Pittsburgh. This is a town I lived and worked in for almost 10 years so I was very familiar with this section of town (Shadyside / Squirrel Hill). My wife came across this B&B on TripAdvisor and after reading a mix of the reviews we decided to go with it. We will admit it is a bit different than most B&B's...it's a very spacious mansion but is a little sparse on decor in the downstairs area...however it seems to be pretty well taken care of. The rooms could you some tlc via paint and some very small touch ups...and although we haven't stayed at a ton of B&B's, most have some smaller refinements that would benefit the Mansion. Overall we really liked this place and would come back. The staff (host, cook, staff) are very friendly, helpful and atentive...very nice to talk to! Again compared to a traditional B&B, some may find them younger and maybe not quite what you'd find elsewhere, but we really, really enjoyed our stay here. It's so close to Walnut Street and all the wonderful places down there...also a quick drive to downtown and the Theater District we attended last night. Yes you have to read about the check-in window and getting the keys, and the after hour side-door...it looks like they are in the midst of enhancing a few things here so anxious to see it again. The room was very comfortable, had all we needed...breakfast was INCREDIBLE, he fixed us our own quiches with a special flare. There was only one other guest staying here when we were...middle of the week, end of March...and we had a very nice conversation with her. All in all, we really, really liked it here...the amenities and staff...thank you!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Visiting my daughter and her family in Pittsburgh has also become a mini retreat since discovering the Mansion at Maole Heights. Have my own space, easy access to busses but love just walking around ShadySide. Great shops nearby. And, museums. I have spent the last two hours in the Mansion's library waiting for my daughter to get off from work. Peaceful, beautiful, yet a very casual feel. Breakfasts are delicious. Innkeepers are great kids! Great find.

Room Tip: I try for suite 1 if available.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo