“Learned so much - even as a local”

Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Food & Drink in Pittsburgh
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Learned so much - even as a local”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years and work in the Strip, but was excited to take the Burgh Bits & Bites Strip Tour because I'm such a big fan of food and history. It was amazing how much I learned. The guide pointed out hidden sites, introduced us to the owners of shops, and give us tastes of things that I had never tried on my own (but have been back to buy since then). I'm sure it would be great as a non-Pittsburgher, but I can guarantee that even regular Strip shoppers will find something new on this tour.

Visited October 2013

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Food-y fun history trip through The Strip!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a delight, thanks Sylvia and all the vendors for a fantastic trip through The Strip!
I grew up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh but moved away over 14 years ago - I remember visiting the area as a kid and as a teenager but this tour opened my eyes to places and history that I never knew about. I was delighted to be able to bring my partner along and showcase all the fantastic food and stories of this neighborhood.

Visited May 2014
Erie, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Anything but professional - a Waste of Money!!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

To celebrate our next door neighbor's 50th anniversary, we treated them to a day in Pittsburgh, starting off with the Strip District Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tour. From the get-go it was a disappointment. First, Beth Taylor wasn't aware of how many were touring with her, and was short on water bottles and gift totes. This continued to be a problem because each place we toured was short 2 "tastes". Don't know if it was her mistake or the companies, but when our guests didn't want to take the limited samples, I urged them to, saying we had paid a lot for them to enjoy. In review the choice of "tastes" were poor. Pittsburgh is known for Primanti Brothers sandwiches, and Beth even pointed out the store. So, why didn't we go and at least have a small taste? She also raved about Mon Ami chocolates, but told us to go in by ourselves later. Instead, we literally walked into a biscotti shop, chose a flavor and walked out. It was terrible food and it was embarrassing to "get a handout". No reason to visit this store; very little background/discussion of it. Next, we went to an Italian pastry right afterward which was good. But two sweets in a row, not good planning. But, the worst plan was to end the tour at 3:30 after sweets with Polish pierogies! So heavy. The samples on the tour were "cheap" tastes. We would have done better to save the $42/per person and walk up and down the strip on our own, and eat at a nice restaurant. Having done a Taste of Chicago previously where they served Chicago Hot Dogs, speciality pizza, Falafel sandwiches, speciality hot chocolate and ice cream -- all delicious and generous portions (a full dog, 2 pieces of pizza, a whole sandwich, etc.), I was expecting much, much more. We were all still hungry from our meager "samplings". As a retired event manager, I would be embarrassed to be associated with this organization. 'Burgh Bits & Bites even earned several awards - no way! We won't be trying any more of their tours. Don't waste your money.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Laurie B
Burghfoodie, Owner at Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tours, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. Your feedback prompted us to speak with our ticketing service, tour guide and the merchants regarding the food portions.

We confirm the guest list and dietary restrictions with all tour guides prior to the tour.
On the evening prior to your tour, we confirmed the guest list with Beth. However, the following morning, two additional tickets were purchased through our ticketing service. Unfortunately, Beth was unaware of this purchase and planned for the number given her the evening before.
This was an oversight on the management side and not a fault of Beth's.
We apologize, as much as we plan ahead, on this day, we did not notify Beth in a timely manner that two additional tickets were purchased.
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused at the start of the tour. Moving forward, we are implementing a ticket notification for last minute add-ons, to ensure this situation doesn't happen again.

The food on your tour was a selection of Italian deli meats, hummus and pita bread, slices of pepperoni roll with marinara sauce, a biscotti, a mele (italian pastry) and pierogies.
Regarding the tastings being short/less by two throughout the tour, Beth, and all food stops assured me that they adjusted the food portion to accommodate all people in your group, despite the two additional guests.
Beth brought an extra water, and then purchased one additional water along the tour route.
The pepperoni bread is cut in 8-9 slices, so thankfully there were 2-3 extra portions for your group that day.
We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the biscotti, the amount of food, and the order in which the food was tasted.
The bakeries close at 4:00pm, prior to the Polish deli, which closes at 4:30pm. To ensure an efficient route and to arrive at all places prior to closing, we visit the bakeries first.

In regards to Primanti's and Mon Aimee. Primanti's was at one time a stop on our tour, but as the tour groups grew, and the frequency of our visits increased, we were no longer guaranteed that we could consistently be accommodated in a timely manner. Primanti's continues to be an integral part of Pittsburgh food history, a tour would be remiss if we didn't recommend and share with guests the history of the business.
We are very fortunate to have a wide variety of diverse food establishments in the Strip District. We would love nothing more than to be able to visit each shop/restaurant in one day. However, we encourage tour guests to further explore the area on their own and will continue to offer recommendations and history of the businesses along the way.

Thank you again for your comments, we value all customer feedback. Customer service continues to be our number one priority.
Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Pittsburgh for fun”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to Pittsburgh only because we had never been there. No family there. No business there. My husband has co-workers that used to live in Pittsburgh and love the city. So on their recommendation, we took a long weekend in the Spring to visit. We had taken a food tour a few years ago in Seattle. With that in mind, when I saw this one on Trip Advisor, I became very excited. As it was, there was not enough room for our family group of 5 adults to do the tour of the Strip District. So I contacted Sylvia who let me know she would open up a second tour. I was able to immediately purchase my tickets before the group sold out again. Thank you Sylvia!

Food Tours are not just about food. But food is a great thing to center conversations around. This was a great way for us to learn something about the people of Pittsburgh and the way the Strip District evolved. As we were spending the day in the city and ending at the Andy Warhol museum, (it's half price on Friday night), we parked in the Warhol lot and walked to St. Patrick Church where the tour started. The bridges in Pittsburgh are so picturesque, it was good to have an excuse to walk over one. Our tour was not until 1:00. We started our city sightseeing at 9:00, so by then we were needing a bathroom break. It was good to discover that Wholey Fish Market has a public restroom downstairs we were welcomed to use. Very close to our meeting point. On our tour, we were quick to make friends with a mother and adult son. The tour was his birthday present to her. They live in Pittsburgh and this was not their first tour. Just a fun and enjoyable way to spend a few hours. It is discouraged for those in the group to shop during the tour. However, as we were two groups switching back and forth between establishments since they had added the extra tour, I will admit to making a purchase of a Sopressata Hot Sausage at Parma while we were waiting to move on. It was my first time to try it, loved it and as it didn't need refrigeration, slipped it in my sons bag to carry. The tour takes a couple hours and most of the establishments close around 3:00. (Including Parma Suasage.) So if you want to buy anything, you have to come back another day, or go early to make a few purchases. You really won't have time on the tour. We did however return the next day to purchase more of one of the best pastries I have ever tasted. A Raspberry Mele from Colangelo's Bakery. I wish I could have bought more, but they sell out quickly and rightly so.

I read one reviewer before our trip that did not feel like the amount of food was adequate for the price. The five of us would disagree with that. We were so full that we didn't eat dinner until 9:00. Even then we had to force ourselves to eat because we couldn't waste the evening experiencing more of what Pittsburgh had to offer in the line of food with our short time available. If we ever make it back to Pittsburg, we'd love to try one of the other area food tours Burgh Bits and Bites offers.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mocha4me
So glad you enjoyed the tour! We love your photos. Thank you for your comments.
Erin, WI
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“What a great way to spend the day!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Our walking tour of Bloomfield was terrific! We enjoyed every stop, our tour guide, Beth, and the amazing food. We learned about the Bloomfield neighborhood and met some wonderful people. We look forward to our next opportunity to tour with Burgh, Bits and Bites.

Visited August 2014