“Just a great place to stay in Pittsburgh”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore
Ranked #31 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This was our second stay at this hotel and it won't be our last. We were here last year soon after it opened and it is still as new and fresh as it was last year. The suites are spacious with everything a short or long term guest would need.
The hotel guests are a mix of business travelers, couples and families. A very adequate breakfast buffet is complimentary each morning with a selection of hot items that varies daily. The seating area is quite spacious and finding an empty table was never a problem. Monday through Wednesday evenings they offer a complimentary light supper buffet, complete with even complimentary beer, wine, fruit drinks, water and coffee and tea. Strangley no soda, but they must have their reasons.
The hotel is located on Pittsburgh's North Shore and is directly across the street from PNC Park. Within walking distance is restaurants, museums, theaters, Heinz Field, The Rivers Casino and downtown Pittsburgh, just a quick walk across the Clemente Bridge (6th Street) bridge. If you don't want the exercise, or the weather isn't cooperating, the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service to downtown locations. All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Retired62

Reviewed 23 May 2011

Wife and I stayed here for 2 nights to watch our Tigers take on the Bucs at PNC Park. The park is literally right across the street which makes one of the more convenient places to stay for a ballgame. The hotel itself is very new (it does not even appear on Google Maps Street View at the time of this review). We stayed in a 9th floor studio overlooking the Honus Wagner statue at the home plate gates. The room was beautifully laid out and very comfortable. On the 9th floor, we never experienced any issues with street level noise.

The breakfast was good and we ate in both mornings. It seems like after 9AM is when it gets the busiest and you may find yourself waiting in line if you want to make a waffle. However, they do have 3 waffle makers and the line will move quick enough. It can get real busy at times, so bring your patience. There always seemed to be a place to sit either inside or out. Saturday morning stocks of many items either got very low or ran out completely before they were restocked and some items were not restocked very quickly (waffle batter). This was not a problem on Sunday, however.

Did not use the billiards room, wifi, or shuttle while staying in the hotel so can't comment on them.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. The room was a bit pricy compared to comparable hotels in other cities, but based on my research, hotel rates across Pittsburgh seem to be a bit high.

A few things to keep in mind if you are not familiar with Pittsburgh and will be driving into the city.
1) W General Robinson St (The only way in and out of the hotel) seems to be closed a lot in the mornings on weekends. Both mornings (Saturday and Sunday) we were at the hotel, the road was closed for a walk and a bike event respectively. This only happened in the mornings and the road was completely open by 10:30AM. If you had someplace you needed to drive in the morning when the road was closed, you may have some issues getting in and out. Might have been nice if the hotel would have set up like a whiteboard or something in the main lobby with this kind of information so those coming and going would have an idea of what to expect.
2) Many of the exit numbers around the downtown area have changed. They do have some signs that will say "Old exit #" but not always. It has been a little time since I last updated the maps on my navigation system so while driving into the city I missed my exit because the exit number it was telling me didn't match the exit I needed to take. If you have a GPS system and will be driving in, please make sure it is updated before you head in. The hotel is so new, it doesn't even appear as a POI on my navigation system.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We stayed here recently for The Pittsburgh Marathon Weekend.
It is hands down the best Hotel we have stayed at in Pittsburgh.
Then staff is very friendly and go out of their way to help. The rooms were spatious and very clean. The Hotel Shuttle is the best, going out of their way get you places, especially on a rainy extremely busy Marathon Weekend. The location is great, the Staff is Excellent, and The Hotel is Best around.
Thank you for a truely Wonderful Weekend.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank taterbug14
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Traveled to Pittsburgh for a couple days and found this hotel on the Marriott website. I traveled with my family (including 2 small kids). Overall, the hotel is excellent. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The rooms were in excellent shape. I travel relatively frequently for work and this is definitely one of the top 2 Residence Inn's I have stayed at

Yes, parking in $18 but it is well worth it. The hotel has a free shuttle which runs every half hour and you can call get picked up. We took the shuttle to the Science Center and had no problems with going this route. The hotel location is nice - The Science Center is within relatively easy walking distance for a healthy adult.

The morning breakfast was a typical Residence Inn experience.

When I visit Pittsburgh in the future, this hotel will be my first choice.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We initially had plans to fly down to New York city but our flight got cancelled the morning we were to fly out. Disappointed but not wanting to waste our Easter weekend, we decided to drive out to Pennsylvania. We picked out the Residence Inn in Pittsburgh since it was rated #1 on Tripadvisor and we soon found out why. The staff was nice and helpful, the room was big and comfortable. Since it was a last minute trip, the front desk suggested activities for us to do and restaurants to try out. The room was huge, with a full kitchen (including a dishwasher!) and a sofa. I'm sure if we stayed more than two nights, all the amenities would have come in handy.

The day after we checked-in, we told housekeeping that we didn't need anything when they came to our door. However, when we got back to our room later that day, they still left us a voicemail to ensure that we still didn't need housekeeping before they left for the day. It was a nice surprise we definitely did not expect and spoke to the great service we were given while we stayed at the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sammy_Hayhay
Reviewed 15 January 2011

For this type of hotel, this is the best experience I have ever had. We were upgraded at check-in, and it was immediately obvious that this hotel is well managed. Every staff member was so polite!!! I commented to the hotel staff at the front desk how impressed I was.
The room was spectacular - much more than I could have hoped for. I had a great view of PNC Park. I will definitely be back for a baseball game this spring/summer!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank clmbs_traveller
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed at this Residence Inn for 3 nights over Christmas. We had our dog with us and the staff could not have been more accommodating. Everyone was "oohing and aaahiing" over our Bearded Collie at check-in. It made us feel very special.

We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite at check-in. The wonderful staff took pity on me when I explained we were hosting Christmas dinner and needed some room. The 2 bedroom suites do have regular ovens with four burners (in addition to the microwave). I believe the other rooms do not have conventional ovens.

Our room was spectacular - more than I could have hoped for. We had a wonderful view of PNC Park. Everything was spotless. The room was enormous with a queen bed in one room and a king bed in the other room. The 2 bathrooms came in handy since we had visitors almost the entire trip (I'm from Pittsburgh originally). The kitchen was beautiful with all the utencils, plates, glasses, even Tupperware, that we needed. My dad was very impressed that all of this came with the room.

There was a ton of storage space in the room - numerous chests of drawers. Something I have not seen in other Residence Inns - laundry baskets were provided in each of the closets.

It was a short walk to the Allegheny River, where there was lots of green space where we could walk our dog. We loved walking over to Heinz Field to watch people skate at the temporary outdoor rink. Heinz Field is only 3 blocks away.

On Christmas Eve, we ate at the Hyde Park Steakhouse, an easy two block walk from the hotel. The hotel staff helped me find a restaurant that was open Christmas eve for dinner - no easy feat. The hotel provided a coupon for an appetizer. There were five of us, and the restaurant prepared an appetizer for five - shrimp, scallops, and crabcakes - fabulous!

Christmas morning was very festive. The families staying at the RI had put their presents under the numerous Christmas trees in the breakfast area. It was lovely. The breakfast buffet (included) was very good with several hot items, and pretty much every cold item you can think of. It was all fresh and tasty.

After Christmas dinner with family in our suite, we headed downstairs to play pool in the billiards and theater room. There is an enormous TV screen with theater seating which my sister-in-law watched while the rest of us played pool. My family loved this.

The fitness room is in excellent shape - there are 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, 4 treadmills and free weights, along with various balls, mats, etc. There were always plenty of towels, cups, sanitizer, and water.

I used the lap pool one day. I had never used one before, so it took a little getting used to swimming against the jet stream. But it was a nice workout.

There are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance and the shuttle is a great perk (which we did not use). In addition, if you walk across the 6th Street Bridge (a very easy walk), there are many more restaurants to choose from.

The parking is $18/night. What can you do? Life in the big city.

I do travel to Pittsburgh for business, and plan to make the RI my new home on all future family and business travel. We will definitely be back for a baseball game this summer!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple