“Worst night sleep ever”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works
Ranked #63 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel is located right next to railroad tracks, and the locomotives blow their whistle every time they approach a tunnel. Who in their right mind would build a hotel next to railroad tracks? I will never stay here again, even if they offered my a room on the street side of the building!

I also think it is terrible that a hotel charges for parking!

Room Tip: If you do need to stay here, ask for a room on the street side, not the train track side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Matt M, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Pitt_Mom_JL ,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay due to the noise from the train that runs near the property. I am very sorry to loose your future business, we try our best to maintain the cleanest hotel possible with great customer service. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me. Again Thank you so much for your feedback

Reviewed 19 March 2014

There are busy rail lines literally right next to the hotel, and I was being woken up constantly from the noise ! This is unacceptable for a $165 a night hotel !!!

The room it's self was spacious and clean, hotel staff were friendly, and the room actually had a working internet connection - but the noise trains ruined the whole experience !!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Matt G, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Richard,
Thank you very much for your feedback in reference to your recent stay at The Springhill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works. I appologize for the noise that disturbed your stay from the train that runs near the property. The next time you are a guest of the hotel, we will try and locate your room on the other side of the building over looking the river. I am glad to hear that your room was clean and the staff was friendly. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here 3 nights as part of a family group (our group used 7 rooms in all).
Hotel: fairly new, clean modern décor, rooms are good sized and very comfortable. The free breakfast is ample, and generally good (the eggs the 2nd day were better than the first), with plenty of choices, served in an airy and pleasant lobby.
Location: Very convenient to a variety of areas in Pittsburgh (downtown, Oakland, Squirrel Hill) if you want to be flexible. There is an entrance to the Parkway East (eastbound) right across the Hot Metal Bridge by the hotel. Note: on early weekday mornings, traffic crossing the river to the Parkway entrance often gets backed up; allow 10 extra minutes to get across.
View: this hotel does have a view worth mentioning. Try to stay on the Monongahela River side, and you'll have a nice view of the river, Pittsburgh hills, the Cathedral of Learning, etc. You don't feel hemmed in like lots of city hotels.
Rooms: very comfortable, with a slick modern design. But one big negative: the smallest dresser and drawer space I have ever seen in a hotel. Bad design choice in an effort to look cool. The closet is ok. The kitchenette is skimpy if you are used to places like Extended StayAmerica, e.g., plastic ware, mini-fridge with no freezer compartment. This was not for a lack of space. The divided work station is well designed and nice to work at. Bed: good linens, comfy, we slept well. Rooms were very clean.
Noise: be advised -- on the south (non-river) side of the hotel is an active CSX rail line (up to several trains per hour, including during the night). Westbound trains blow for the tunnel that starts right beside the hotel. [Historical note: this tunnel does not go through a hill, but rather was built to carry the railroad underneath the huge J & L steel mill that once occupied this site]. If the noise would bother you, make sure you get a room on the river side (the majority of rooms are on the river side). We were on the 6th (top) floor facing the river, and didn't hear the trains in our room. Other than the railroad, the hotel is in a fairly quiet location. There was no hotel noise in our room, it was internally very quiet.
Railfans: If you pick your hotel to SEE trains, ask for a room on the southeast corner of the hotel (either facing up-river, best, or facing the hill). You will see two active rail lines: a very active CSX line beside the hotel (clear view of trains approaching/departing upriver direction), and a less active NS ex-Conrail line on the hillside 3 unobstructed blocks away. 3rd through 5th floors probably best.
Hotel staff: stellar! We required special arrangements for the family gathering, and their events manager (Sharon) really put herself out for us, getting us a special block booking rate and facilitating our use of the meeting room (the hotel has one, a second one is not yet finished). The hotel staff was very polite and cooperative throughout. They made our stay a whole lot easier and enjoyable.
Parking: adjacent outside on hotel's own lot, $14 per night, unlimited in/out. Not great, but there are higher rates at other Pittsburgh hotels.
Overrall: this hotel turned out to have the best combination of location, modern and comfortable rooms, and staff of the many I've stayed at in Pittsburgh. It will be our first choice next time we travel to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: To avoid train noise, stay on river side (view is better anyway). There are 6 floors, with rooms on...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location, easy walking distance to the South Side Works. No free parking though- $14. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. They helped to arrange their shuttle van to drop us off and pick us up from the concert we were attending, which we greatly appreciated. The rooms were clean and spacious. Unfortunately train tracks run right next to the hotel. We woke up 3 or 4 times during the night as a train went by (our room was on the third floor and faced the tracks). If I stayed here again I would try to request a room on the side facing the river instead. The breakfast was sub-par, although my expectations weren't very high.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I went as a couple right before the new year. We were pleasantly surprised by the interior of the hotel. It has clean lines and the furniture in both the lobby and rooms is nice. We stayed on the 6th floor and enjoyed our view of the river. The bed was comfortable and inviting. The continental breakfast was really great. They had a lot more of a selection than other hotels. The staff was courteous when we were leaving the hotel. They had a $14 charge for keeping your car in their parking lot as a heads up! I take long showers which was convenient here because they had a great water heating system.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Have been coming to Pittsburgh for several years and the Marriott hotel chain has always been my choice. Lots of choices, fair pricing, a comfortable room. I recently tried Springhill Suites on South Side. Warm welcome ftom the front desk. Somewhat sparse lobby but very nice suite. Everything you need for a comfortable night stay. The hotel does not have a bar but does have a pool, a fitness room, and a better than average free breakfast. One note is that there are many comments concerning the hotel's location next to the train tracks; all I will say is that
I will repeat my wife's comment: "I just loved hearing those trains last night, it was so relaxing!. I will be back to stay at Springhill Suites on Pittsburgh's South Side.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PITTparent
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This was my first time visiting Pittsburgh and I was told to stay in the southside if I wanted to be within walking distance to bars, which this hotel totally met. Yes there is a train that hoes by the hotel but honestly you don't realize it. The train never woke me up or bothered me while in the room. The gentlemen that drove the shuttles were awesome they dropped you off picked you up and gave great suggestions and mini tours. The only negative was on game day we had to wait over 30 minutes for the shuttle because they only have one. Besides that everything else was really nice and a good location.

• Stayed: November 2013