“Good location”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works
Ranked #63 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel is what you would expect for a Springhill Suites. It's clean and the staff is friendly. It is within easy walking distance to the up and coming bar and restaurant section of the Southside. It can be a bit difficult getting downtown from this location but only during rush hour.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MesaSB
Melissa_Craven_FOM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with our accommodations. We hope that the next time you visit Pittsburgh, you choose to stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was fantastic. I have never stayed in a hotel at any price where the staff was more helpfully and sincere in their efforts to make sure that we had a good time while visiting an area.

The front desk staff was great in making local recommendations (they even had tickets to local stuff so we did not have to wait in line to buy them!) The drivers of their awesome free shuttle (Max and John, I believe) seemed to know almost everything about the area and def helped to make our visit more fun with more confidence to get around.

I find most hotels to need friendly and helpful, but my experience with this Spring Hill Suites was a cut above.

Also, in general, I found the people of Pittsburgh to be some of the most friendly people that I have ever encountered. A great place to visit.

Room Tip: Prior to booking, I noted that a lot of reviews complained about the noise from the nearby freight t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Samuel_J_NJ
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had already decided to stay at this hotel when I read previous reviews and became worried about the train noise. However, I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is newer and clean and the location makes up for any train or traffic noise. Along with the train tracks, the hotel is close to main roads, but other than a motorcycle or loud semi going by, you really hear it as white noise. There is also construction going on next to the hotel, which is pretty ugly, but fortunately my room was located on the other side, which the desk personnel, called "city view".

The hotel is located away from the main downtown area and the lower price reflects this. I knew that my husband and I were going to take the Pittsburgh Tour Company hop on, hop off bus tour, which starts at near by Southside Works, so it made sense for us to stay nearby. The area is nice and clean. There are a lot of people who come by on the bike path. As people living in the suburbs and not having much experience vacationing in cities, this was a comfortable place for us to stay. If you would prefer to walk to the attractions, then stay downtown, but I am not sure if any of the other Marriott hotels are centrally located, since the attractions are spread out on the different shores. Your best best is to stay near by something you know you want to see and plan on having to take a car to the other things to do.

**Also, consider bringing your own pillows. The ones provided are down pillows which seem thick and fluffy. But by the morning, your head has pushed through the feathers and your head is practically on the mattress.**

Room Tip: My "city view room" faced away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is nice and new, bright lobby. Spacious hotel room. Close to a few restaurants/shops. The only negative about the location is that it is right on the railroad tracks so request a room that doesn't face them, the trains run 24 hours a day (we ran the fan in our room to prevent the train from waking us at night). The only issue I really had while there was with this shelf in the bathroom area at an odd height that I hit my head on.

Room Tip: It is right on the railroad tracks so request a room that doesn't face the tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LifeAtlasTravel
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is very clean and modern and a great healthy breakfast. The property is a very convenient walk to the hotels in the South Side Works which is great in nice weather.

The down side of the hotel is that the train horn and noise is really tough to sleep through at night. I grew up near a train track and the noise does not bother me greatly but the other 9 in our group could not sleep due to train horn every 1-2 hours and then the rumbling from the cars being so close to the hotel.

Room Tip: If a train horn or noise from the tracks both you during sleep, this is not the hotel for you.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom W
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room very nice. However, right below my window was the train tracks
All night long freight trains went by blowing their whistles and rumbling by. Also, my room was next to the elevator and I could hear the elevator going up and down all night long

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Randi Q
Melissa_Craven_FOM, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Randi,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside works. We appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the noise from the train caused a disturbance during your stay. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the condition and cleanliness of your room, along with the service you received. We strive to make each guest's experience enjoyable. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again. The next time you are a guest at our hotel, we will do our best to place you on the side of the building facing the river, opposite of the train. Again, thank you so much for your comments.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel. It comes with a free breakfast that has both hot and cold choices, juice, coffee and milk. Only thing missing is a soda fountain as I drink diet coke instead of coffee (as do many Americans). The rooms are large and comfortable with a nice little living area couch, desk sink and mini refrigerator separate from the bedroom and bathroom. Try to get a corner room overlooking the river if you can. This is within walking distance to great shopping and restaurants. I think the parking price is a little high since you have to self park. This can also be a somewhat noisy location as there is a train track behind the hotel and trains barrel through frequently.

Room Tip: Corner room over looking river is sunny and beautiful view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business