“A surprising gem in a revitalized area of town close to CMU”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Boston, Massachusetts
“A surprising gem in a revitalized area of town close to CMU”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We were in Pittsburgh for the first time to tour Carnegie Mellon University and wanted a comfortable hotel not too far from the campus. I usually pick Marriotts, and know what to expect, but this modern property was quite unexpected. Our suite had two queen sized beds, in addition to a separate area with a sofa bed and desk, which worked well for my family. Often suite hotels have one bed and the kids are forced to share a sofa bed, so this was much better. The room was very clean and modern, with one bathroom that had just a toilet and sink, and a second with a sink and shower. Very European! Also, the shower had a glass door, rather than a curtain, which seemed much cleaner. We didn't have time to explore the mall next door, but it looked nice and was brand new. We did get out for dinner and the hotel gave us a full list of recommended restaurants in the area, making it easy. A relaxing happy hour at the bar an a free hot breakfast made our stay perfect. Bakery Square is a new area, taking over a location where a factory closed. I makes for a great stopping point if you are visiting this area of Pittsburgh. The hotel is not cheap, but not expensive either, and all things considered, worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank karent62
Renee B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
karent62,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. It’s great to know that you had a pleasant stay with us while touring Carnegie Mellon University! I’m pleased to hear that our hotel exceeded your expectations and hope you will be back to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Justin Blair, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
California
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This is hotel is GREAT! The first thing that grabs you as you enter the building is the CLEAN smell that smacks you in the face. So that was my first impression. We're off to a good start. The staff was very friendly and helpful. 5 STARS! I was able to check into my hotel room early, so that made me happy. (11:30am). Check-in was quick and easy. Smooth sailing. This hotel reeks with style. I loved the lobby. With its green colors and hip furniture. Very inviting. The lobby has a small bar that I saw many people partaking in.

The rooms are big enough. A separate sitting room and work desk with all the power plugs. The toilet and shower are in two different areas. The rooms are VERY clean. Brand spanking new! (photos included). I had the view of the bus depot (very quiet). I've included a photo of the view of the bus depot from my room. This hotel is QUIET. I stayed here 3 nights and slept very well the entire time I was here. I didn't have my room made up the first day and I was sent a courtesy note stating that if I changed my mind, to contact them. I even got a phone call to confirm that.

They offer free breakfast - pretty standard, but tasty. They had scrambled eggs/scrambled eggs with cheese - sausage patties marinated in some sweet raisin sauce - cereal - bagels - muffins - coffee - orange juice & waffles. (make your own). I took advantage of the free breakfast every morning I was there. It's FREE! The hotel also offers free Wi-Fi which I easily was able to connect to. No password required. Parking was easy. Just next to the hotel in a huge garage. They also offer free shuttle service to about 15 restaurants in the area - very convenient. We took advantage of that our first night.

The hotel is also conveniently close to a lot of stores and restaurants. Panera Bread being one - just downstairs from the hotel. I ate there my first day. There's also a Target just down the street which I had to visit a few times for various things. So that was great. And the business center (one computer) is right there in the lobby.

All in all - what a great hotel experience for me. Not a single glitch. So this review will follow suit.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor - very quiet!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mzmeryze
Mzmeryze,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience with us at SpringHill Suites Hotel. We appreciate your business and happy you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities we have to offer. I’m glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations with the cleanliness of our hotel and friendly service of our staff. We hope you will visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I spent one night at the SpringHill Suites, Bakery Square while on business in Pittsburgh. The hotel is three years old and spot clean. It is close to Pitt and CMU - less than ten minute drive. It is in a walk-able neighborhood - from my experience - and close to many restaurants (Panera & coffee shop next door. BRGR 10 walk) and shopping (Trader Joes, Target, etc...). Parking is free and convenient in an attached parking garage. The best part of the hotel is the comp access to the attached LA Fitness. What a great bonus! The staff was friendly, and the breakfast was standard SpringHill continental breakfast. The next time I'm in PIT I will come back for sure! This hotel is especially good if you are going to be on an extended stay in PIT.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeepyg
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Jeepyg,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at SpringHill Suites. We're glad you stayed with us and enjoyed your visit. I'm glad you liked our clean rooms and especially enjoyed LA Fitness. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Pittsburgh! Safe travels.
Justin Blair
McAllen, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed at SpringHill for a night and found the room to be very specious and modern. We had a comfortable bed and easy access to local restaurants. We loved the location and loved that we didn't have to pay for parking! We missed breakfast by a couple of minutes so be sure to make it downstairs for the buffet style breakfast during your stay! The staff was very friendly and we encountered no issues with noise or anything of the sort. We were very satisfied and would stay here if we ever end up back in Pitt :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Norm1222,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that your recent visit with us was nice and comfortable. I'm glad you loved our location, and I hope you had time to visit some of the great venues surrounding us. Please make plans to visit us again. We look forward to it.
Justin Blair
Avon Lake
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed here a few times touring Carnegie Mellon and then returning for Music Theatre auditions.
Great location - very easy to get to campus but not walkable distance. Rooms are very large with modern decor and big windows. The bath is separated into two spaces each with separate doors which makes getting ready with more than one person in the room a breeze. The lobby is a
nice spot to hang out in and a great place to catch a quick breakfast. Parking is attached to the
building and is shared with an exercise facility next door. Never a problem finding a spot and the
parking garage is very open and well-lit for anyone travelling alone. It is a bit of a stroll from the garage to the lobby level - but their are elevators and everything is totally enclosed - no need to
brave the weather or get your luggage wet. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Pittsburgh. Rooms on the back overlook a large bus parking lot and rooms in the front overlook the restaurant,exercise club and residential area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bonevoyage
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
bonevoyage,
We appreciate you staying with us at SpringHill Suites. I'm glad you liked our clean, spacious suites as well as our modern decor. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. Should your travels bring you back to our area, we hope you'll stop and visit us again.
Centereach, New York
Reviewed 8 February 2013

This hotel is in a great location at Bakery Square, where there are a few shops and places to eat. The free parking is a bonus as is the use of the gym connected to the parking garage. The rooms are spacious and contain a work area as well as two separate sink areas. Comfy beds and buffet breakfast round out a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
jsarakos,
Thank you for staying with us at SpringHill Suites and writing a review about your visit. We're glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and especially liked our location at Bakery Square. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you again soon.
maryland
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Stayed here with my daughter. The room was great. Very spacious, which is nice not to be on top of each other. The set up was different in that the toilet had it's own room, with a sink! Very convenient. There is a small frig, microwave and coffee pot. The room was clean and the staff friendly There is a small shopping area with food right out the door of the hotel. I would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
tweetMaryland,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your experience with us at SpringHill Suites. We're glad to have had you and your daughter stay with us, and we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed you visit. I'm glad you liked our clean, spacious suites and liked our friendly staff too! Please plan to visit us again. We look forward to your return.