“New room design - bad results”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
leesport, pa
“New room design - bad results”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed at Spring Hill several times since 2007, throughout the east coast... Always impressed with the size and space.
But this new design is no bigger than a standard hotel room. Sliding doors to the bathroom (separate toilet and shower rooms) is unique and strange. No privacy at all when staying with other family members.

The toilet rooms should have a fan - but don't. And the frosted glass on the shower room makes you feel more exposed . Maybe I am old fashioned, but I can't imagine that other people like this.
This is only suitable if traveling alone.

The parking situation is another matter, three times during my 2 day stay, I was parked in on the drivers side by locals who are using the LA Fitness Center attached to the hotel site. The spaces are very narrow so if someone has an SUV or Truck it takes up alot of space. I could not open my drivers door, and I was parked exactly in the middle of the space. Also the pull off at the entrance on the first floor does not seem to have enough room for two cars. - this is required because check in and the lobby is on the second floor.

I normally am not this negative - and did enjoy the breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel. But I feel just slightly irritated that I did not enjoy the whole experience this weekend, because of someones idea of modern design.

Note my daughter will be attending UofP and we were hoping to find a place to call home away from home. Will probably have to look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank family1078
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear family1078,

Thank you for acknowledging our clean rooms and ample breakfast even though you did not find our accommodations to your liking. We appreciate our guests taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback both positive and opportunities for improvement.

Best Wishes,
Katie Zupsic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The room was great. Clean, comfortable bed, decorated nicely. Check-in staff was very helpful. We only stayed overnight on our way back home to NJ from Chicago, so don't have much to say about the general area. We did go to the Rivers Casino - very crowded. Give me Atlantic City any day. I liked the closed in between the split bathroom (VERY good idea), but there could be more drawer space in the room. Only 3 small drawers in the closet - fine for an overnight stay, but not for a few days. A lack of drawer space is very common in many hotels/motels and I wish the designers of these rooms would take that into consideration in addition to the aesthetics of the room. The only negative is the parking/check-in/unloading part. There are only 2 spaces in front of the hotel to unload luggage. Then you have to go up to the 2nd floor lobby to check in. Then back down to move the car to the parking garage. The hotel is situated in a strip mall and makes it very inconvenient for check-in and check-out. But, nice clean hotel. Breakfast staff (1 person) was not very helpful or friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fran45
Dear Fran45,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience. Our team understands and believes that our guests deserve a pleasant stay and we continue to seek new ways to impress. My sincere apologies for the service you received at breakfast. Your kind comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are appreciated as they foster change for the better. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at Springhill Suites because of classes at Chatham University. The hotel initially looks kinda small from the outside, but the rooms are large and comfy on the inside. It was only me and I got a room with two queen beds. There was a mini living room area with a large wrap around sofa, a small desk, an area for the mini refrigerator, microwave and even had a dish towel and paper plates and utensils. There are two bathrooms, one with a sink (hardly any counter space) and toilet and other with a larger sink, with counter space and the shower. In addition there is a mini walk in closet with blankets, dresser and place to hang clothes.
The view was not attractive, but did not stay in the room hardly at all. The beds were large and comfortable. The breakfast offered, had a variety of different foods for the healthy (boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, fruit) and the hearty (scrambled eggs, cheeses, meat, oatmeal and fixings-very nice side options- and drinks). The hotel personnel were very helpful with directions, keeping luggage after checkout and friendly. The fitness area is next door, but a ramp leads you right over to the LA Fitness facility which has a variety of machines, healthy drink bar etc. Restaurants within walking distance and close to main attractions. Nice family owned restaurants with authentic Mexican, pizza, Chinese on Centre Ave a block down from Target.
The only thing I did not like was that I had to pay for parking. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I would ask to stay on 2nd or above floors, not main floor. My classmate had a room on the first fl...
Green Features: Employees were friendly and eager to help. During breakfast, the areas remained clean. Can opt to keep towels or get new ones.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PghCritic
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. It is encouraging to hear that your stay was enjoyable; we work hard to provide a pleasant experience. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to a return visit.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a great hotel in a great location. My son and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel. We were on a college visit tour and the hotel was a 10-minute cab ride to both U of Pittsburgh and Carneige Mellon. We also walked to a great breakfast place and burger joint and there are several places to grab a quick bite right next to the hotel. The decor is fresh, modern and clean. Every front desk employee we encountered was friendly and helpful. Loved the separate areas in the hotel room - desk and sofa area, mini-fridge and microwave (complete with utensils and paper plates), sleeping area and bathrooms. The attached parking garage is connected to the hotel via walkway and has unlimited in and out access for $15 one-time fee.

Green Features: The have recycling trash cans and green towel program.
2 Thank LJWT
Dear LJWT,

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I've stayed in many hotels and this one takes the cake. From when I first called before I booked to find out if they would allow us to use the shuttle for an extra .2 miles to even after we had already checked out, Springhill Suites on Bakery Square in Pittsburgh exceeded all expectations and raised the bar for any hotel I stay in here on out. The hotel was very easy to locate and even though parking is $15 per night, it's very convenient and well worth the money. Attached to LA Fitness and Panera and across the street from Anthropologie and the cutest toy store (as well as Social and a few other stores we didn't check out) this hotel is more than accommodating. As soon as we arrived, the staff was extremely courteous and helpful.

The hotel lobby is gorgeous. Our room was just like all the other rooms pictured. Clean and simple, but lovely. We loved the fact that the shower was separate from the toilet. Especially with children that was definitely a treat and I think other hotels should look in to doing the same. The closet was large enough to fit all of our family's belongings (2 adults 2 children) and more for two nights. Mini fridge came in handy and the room also had a microwave, which we didn't use, but it was nice to know we had one if needed. The shower/water pressure was great. Often hotels seem to have low water pressure, but not this one. So we had a view of the roof, but what do you really expect when staying in the city?

The breakfast was really good! Juice, coffee, milk, cereal, fruit, sausage patties, eggs, waffles, bagels, muffins. The staff was very attentive so there was no running out of anything. They were very friendly and kept all areas clean at all times. I really appreciated that.

The staff in general were the nicest people I met during our entire stay in Pittsburgh. At 9:30 at night our daughters wanted to go swimming and there was only one towel left. Even though the pool was closing in an hour and a half and we could have easily gone up to our room to get towels to use, the manager brought some right down to us. So sweet. The front desk staff, cleaning service, management, breakfast, shuttle driver, anyone else I may have missed- These people alone make me want to come back! They were great. Great people to talk to, great people to help us. I loved all of them.

There are only two things that bothered me for about a millisecond in regards to this hotel. First, the bed itself is really not all that comfortable. I found it to be a bit hard, but much better than sleeping on the floor or couch. Plus, once I was asleep I was fine!
Also, I was surprised at how little and cold the pool was. I didn't get in because it was chilly, but my daughters didn't mind it a single bit and they had a blast jumping in and out!

All in all, you need to check this hotel out for yourself. Anytime I ever come to Pittsburgh for anything in the future, I will come back over and over. Keep up the amazing work!

1 Thank Kim K
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kim K,

Our staff makes sincere hospitality their priority; I glad you enjoyed our welcoming associates and fun location. Detailed reflections like yours allow us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay, and I’m glad you found us to be the greatest hotel ever!

Katie Zupsic, GM
South Pole
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel itself is nice and clean and spacious - but maybe about what you might expect for the price. There was a good selection of items for breakfast. Other additional positives include the location (near many attractions), quiet rooms, and free access to LA fitness for workouts/swimming.

Now the negatives. There is a complimentary shuttle within 3 miles, but the staff only allows 1 group per trip, even though the shuttle is large and accommodates many people. When we checked in at 5pm, we were unable to reserve a shuttle for any time remotely close to our 8am appointment the next morning.

My next beef with the staff is on check out time. My transmission died on a Saturday night, and Sunday morning I was scrambling to get it towed to a transmission place, find an open car rental, etc. I requested the checkout be moved from noon to 2 or 3 pm. The staff said that that the latest they could do was 1pm, and I should be happy with that, as normally on gold/platinum customers are allowed late checkout. I was barely able to get everything done in time to check us out by 1pm, and this certainly added stress to an already stressful morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I appreciate you acknowledging our spacious clean rooms and ample breakfast even though our service was not up to the standards our guests have come to expect. Please forgive us for adding additional stress; your comfort is very important to us. Your comments challenge improvement for future stays. We invite you back with sincerity for a better experience.

Katie Zupsic, GM
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

we came for a wedding and we really enjoyed the hotel. very clean, nice part of town, and the staff was very friendly. I apparently need two hundred characters for the review to be submitted so now I have 209.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Michael F,

We are delighted to hear of the comfort you experienced at our hotel. Our associates are the key to providing our guests with a satisfying stay. I appreciate your kind remarks.