“Clean, Comfortable, Great Layout”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Clean, Comfortable, Great Layout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

The hotel was very clean and the layout was terrific. We were traveling from Philly to Chicago and stayed at the Springfiled Suites for one night. My eight year old son, fifteen year old daughter, and my husband really like the room design (it's usually a challenge to please all). My son was also quite pleased with the internet access. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lenacj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

My wife and I checked into the hotel, put our luggage in the room and left until late at night. We discovered that the bottom of the toilet seat was covered with ( there is no way to desribe this other than loose #2). We did not complain until early the next morning. At first we were told that it would be several hours before housekeeping could get to it. I did not accept this and asked that we be given a different room. The clerk at the desk took it upon herself to clean it for us. We also changed rooms later that day. That was my only complaint for the 3 nightswe were there. The hotel is new and very comfortable. It was a good location for us. My recommendation to management is that they really need to work with the cleaning staff. I am 58 years old and have stayed at all types of hotels, motels and resorts and I have never seen anything like this before. The management should have found me and appologized for this experience. I would have appreciated that.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beachman
Warfordsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

This hotel rocks, and this is coming from a very experienced business traveler. Yes, the hotel is brand new but I've stayed at new hotels before that weren't great. SpringhillSuites has really upped its game over the years - I stayed at one in Harrisburg recently and it was equally impressive. The room layout is fantastic and very modern - great use of space, the office area is blocked from the bedroom area by a wall, the reading lights don't light up the whole room, large flat-screen TV, large wall mirror, fridge, microwave, sectional couch that I wasn't afraid to lounge on. The toilet is in a different room from the shower, but I kind of like that - both rooms have sinks and mirrors, and someone could be doing their business while the other one is in the shower. It is strange, however, that neither door (sliding/pocket doors) lock. Another minor complaint is that the corner storage rack in the shower is tiny - more of a concern for folks that bring full-size products. The staff here is phenomenal - very friendly and helpful. I don't get why some people are complaining about the breakfast area - I found it to be extremely spacious and well laid-out, much better than most. I'd give the free buffet an 8.5 - yes, the eggs are bad/fake and the sausage was cold, but there are numerous other solid choices. Bakery Square still has many vacant shops, but give it time. The overall area is fine and there is a big park (Mellon Park) across the street. The parking garage isn't scary, either. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband and I stayed there for one night. Another couple we were with also stayed in the hotel. Baker square is actually still in developing mode & there really wasn't anything there except two shops & a fitness place. The hotel itself is very new and nicely decorated. Although the breakfast was free, it was not very good. Stay far away from the plastic eggs and I'm still debating whether or not the sausage patty was actually "meat" or not. Stick to the bagels and cereal. Again, the hotel is decorated well but the layout in the breakfast area is very small for the guests to sit & eat. I suggest bringing the food back to your room. The pool was extremely tiny & strange. I don't think it's possible for a adult to actually be able to "swim". The parking garage is free, but overall I would stay downtown & pay to park. You are much closer to dinning and shops.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maverickstar
Vienna, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband, mother-in-law, son (4), and daughter (22 months) stayed this past weekend. The hotel is new, so it is very clean and modern, however, we had our small children with us and the hotel rooms did not have a bathtub! We travel at least twice a year as a family and several times for work and I have never been to a hotel that did not have a bathtub. The front desk said they had handicap accessible rooms that had tubs, but there were none available (may have been because there was a baseball game going on). Also, the room has a very poor layout. There are two separate bathrooms, across from the two double beds (one with the shower and vanity and the other has the toilet and a small corner sink) and in sticking with the modern charm, both rooms have sliding doors THAT DO NOT LOCK! This makes for an interesting trip when you have small children that are always wanting to open and close the doors. :o)

Also, we wanted to take the kids to the swimming pool both nights of our stay and we found out the only pool actually located at the hotel is VERY small and there is no hot tub (and my husband has back problems and really would have benefited from this). However, as a customer, you have access to the Urban Active fitness center across the hall). This is a great facility, but we stayed a Friday night and Saturday night and on Friday night, the facility closed at 9 pm and on Saturday it closed at 7pm. I could understand closing at 9 pm, but 7 pm on a Saturday! We weren't able to swim there on Friday night because we didn't arrive until after 8 and we went to the zoo on Saturday and didn't make it back to the hotel until 7:30, so both nights the large pool was not available. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

All-in-all, we made the stay work and it was still enjoyable. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly and the hotel was very clean and nice. The rooms had nice flat panel TV's, a refrigerator, a microwave, and free continental breakfast. The area around the hotel is still developing, so there is no restaurants within walking distance (except for a coffee shop across the street). We heard the hotel shuttled to the zoo, but we opted to take our own vehicle since there was free parking at the zoo.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to adult travelers, but would not recommend it to families with small children.

2 Thank sgribble1
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We just had a lovely stay at the SpringHill (by Marriott) at Bakery Square. The hotel is brand new, and it shows in a good way. Remember it's Marriott's economical offering, and at $159, a deal for two queen beds and a pullout! It's really pretty, and of course everything is brand new. The complimentary use of the Urban Active gym is fabulous, and it was pretty empty. Parking is in a new, brightly lit attached garage, and their is a security person in the lot all the time. The breakfast is amazing compared to other "complimentary" hotel breakfasts, and includes cereals, yogurts, bagels, scrambled eggs and make your own waffles. Only bad part, that will hopefully resolve itself soon is housekeeping. We were given only 2 towels for 4 people, the next day only 3 even though we had called. The desk told us the fold out bed had sheets on it, but at 10 pm we were headed down to the front desk to get linens. Shampoo was tiny, and we had to go to the desk to get more of those (only given one on first night of three) too. On the last night our room was not clean by 7pm, and we had to wait in the lobby a half hour for it to be cleaned. This although there were five cleaning people and a supervisor on our floor, and they were cleaning until at least 830pm. I did think the management would offer us a complimentary drink or something for the many trips to the desk for housekeeping issues, but we were at least offered sincere apologies with each trip.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

The hotel is designed very trendy (like West Elm or Design Within Reach), but the functional layout is not great. The suite is spacious enough with a little dividing wall that nicely seperates the couch area from the beds. The bathrooms are split with toilet in one room and shower in the other, which is generally nice while traveling but to save space they have pocket doors. Pocket doors can be neat but in this case (i) the track area under the doors when open wasn't cleaned, you could see the dirt there when you were in the bathrooms and shut the doors, (ii) the doors don't slide shut with a full closure (you can't see in but there is a gap you can peer out of and sound proof they are not, so lay off the chili unless your close with your traveling companions), (iii) the shower room has a frosted glass door, again you can't see through it but light goes through so you get a bit of a burlesque show if the rest of the room is dark. The lounge/breakfast area is also too small/trendy, it looks nice with all the couches until you come down in the morning and try to eat your cereal while bending over a little table next to a couch, real tables don't look as neat but they're more practical. The room works though and the hotel was overall clean and staff reasonably friendly, great probably for a business traveler, but might be better options though if you are traveling with a larger group. Oh, and the swiming pool in the basement will be great for those under 5 years old but is really really small even for a hotel pool.

1 Thank CarbonRiver