“Runners' Delight”

Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore
Ranked #28 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Let me cut to the chase.

Pros: Clean, friendly front desk staff and great breakfast choices for most types of healthy diets, including low carb and high carb. This hotel is located near the ball park, but also, right across the street is the river with a great trail for runners, bikers and family walks. Free shuttle to some of the tourist attractions and shopping areas.

Cons: Parking is not free...about $19/night

I would still recommend this hotel. We only spent one night in Pittsburgh, but enjoyed it immensely due to the location of this hotel. It was worth the extra parking fee for us.

Room Tip: We used the free shuttle to head over to the shopping/tourist sites. Call early to schedule your pi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Jim S, Manager at Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Your feedback and recommendation are greatly appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed our location and amenities and we hope to see you again soon!

997 - 1,003 of 1,178 reviews

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Last minute family get-together came up which coincided with University of Pittsburgh's graduation; lots of difficulty in locating a downtown hotel. Used USAA members' travel site and this hotel was available with type of room we needed, i.e., large enough to accommodate 4 adults and within walking distance of area attractions. Room was spacious with king size bed partitioned off from very comfortable double sleep sofa. Very clean. We faced the parking lot across from the ball park but, with no events there, it was very quiet. Rooms facing over the river must offer fantastic City views. Hope that they discount rooms facing the super-highways. Free shuttle within a 3 mile radius which we used for dinner. Shout out to driver, Megan, who was friendly and chatty about the city. Full, hot breakfast was very good -- even with the hordes partaking on Sunday morning. Hard working staff kept it restocked.
Hotel is a bit schizophrenic about environmentalism: key card activates lights and other utilities when you are in room and need them; yet, when I asked where the recycling container was for the newspapers they distribute, I got blank stares and the offer to throw it out.
Only complaint is one made by numerous fellow reviewers: the hefty $ 19. daily parking fee. This is out of line with other rates I saw in the City. Management could generate so much good will by announcing even a $ 5 reduction to $ 14. daily.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Jim S, Manager at Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback! I’m glad we were able to assist you in your last minute situation and hopefully we can be of service again in the future. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Megan as I’m sure she will be very happy to read them. Also, your feedback in regards to a recycling bin is greatly appreciated and is something that we can potentially implement in the near future.

Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have recently started staying at this hotel when I am in Pittsburgh on business. The location is great as its on the north shore between PNC park and Heinz field. There are several good bars and restuarants within walking distance of the hotel plus its next door to the subway which takes you to downtown.

The rooms are very spacious, warm and inviting. The free breakfast each day is very well done. The thing I like most about this hotel is the staff. Everybody I have met is always very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank ddmullis

Thank you for the review and I’m glad to hear that you have chosen us as your hotel of choice! Our staff always enjoys reading the reviews posted on here and I’m sure they will especially enjoy reading yours.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit with us.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

A great functional business hotel. Comfy, clean, well looked after. This is a the perfect place for a business overnight stay. Great value too. I imagine it gets busy when there is a game on (its in the shadow of the stadium) but it was fine for my visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed there two nights. Nice place - clean - staff was very friendly, helpful. I was a big fan of the breakfast. Rooms were clean and the housekeeping staff were nice as well. Clean, up to date and I felt welcome and safe. I was in a front room and had a nice view of the river. We went to a baseball game and this place is perfect for that or football. Can walk to both. Rooms are large and almost suite-like w/ separate sitting area. Beds were great. Nice large flat screen TV. Desk, etc. Small coffee machine in room - coffee in am downstairs much better.

Cons included one of the sitting areas in our two rooms was a little musty - not sure if a beer had been spilled, etc. It is NOT a regular Hyatt. It is more like a Embassy suites, but a bit nicer. I didn't know this - most Hyatts are attached to a restaurant w/ bar, etc. They do have a bar - but it is very spartan. The young man who staffed it was very nice and I walked him through a martini (no olives in the place). I did not order food/room service. Not sure how they'd pull this off. Since it is close to FB and PNC park, I'm sure you'll get some noisy sports fans at times - Pirates game both days we were there was not a big deal. We had the $19/day parking and came back second night and lot was full! But we parked in front and they said "park anywhere you can" and that worked out fine.

Overall nice stay and nice staff. Great location. Would stay again and recommend to family/friends.

Room Tip: Front room facing river.
1  Thank GTOLou
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I have to say, when I scheduled the hotel room I was a little shocked at the price but honestly the convenience for us was well worth the price. My husband and son attended a Pirate game while I took my daughter and friend to a concert at Stage AE. Both places were a safe, easy 5 minute walk away. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and check-in was a breeze. Our room was clean and the beds were comfy. I also liked the noon check-out time. We didn't feel rushed to get packed up. We had a nice variety for breakfast and there was plenty of seating. My son and I even had time to take a swim in the pool before we checked out. I would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank gstiffler
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This hotel is just beautiful. The rooms are spacious with large sectional sofa, ottoman, under sofa table, desk and screen between living room area and beds. The sink area is in the bathroom but has shelving below to hold your stuff. The bathroom is adequate as is the closet. Rooms have refrigerator, but no microwave. My room had a beautiful view of the river. The A/C unit worked great. Hotel has a small bar, and offers cooked food and prepackaged items 24 hours. The free breakfast is the best I ever had. Pancakes, eggs benedict, good fruit. I often travel to Pgh and have stayed at the Hampton Inn in the Strip district, This hotel is so much better for the same price. Only thing is that there is a $19 per day parking charge in a outdoor area with in-out privileges. There are several restaurants within walking distance, and of course you can walk to the ball parks. The staff was quite helpful and friendly,. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are best.
1  Thank sendmehome