“What a FIND in Pittsburgh: sophisticated, great food, ambience and interesting wines”
Review of Spoon

Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 2,204 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Penn Circle
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was visiting friends who moved to Pittsburgh. My expectations were neutral…it has been decades since I was there. The best food was at a classic big restaurant, long time favorite of the city, and small bars in neighborhoods. I was NOT prepared for SPOON! A very sophisticated restaurant in every sense. Sophisticated menu/dishes yet not fussy. The wine list included some intriguing varietals not at all typical. John, manager/wine expert, selected for us an exceptional wine.
Wish SPOON were located closer to me! I would be there often!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We came to Pittsburgh for a 3-day Conference at Duquesne University so we needed to find som great places for dinner. Spoon was on the top of the Trip Advisor list so we decided to try it. For an app I had the Gorgonzola Bleu Cheese Soufflé and my husband had Beef Carpaccio. Our main courses were the Cassoulet and Maryland Crab Stuffed Trout. All of it was excellent. The bottle of Pinot Noir from Oregon was so delicious we were tempted to order two of them! Spoon was a wonderful beginning to our trip to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

First time to Spoon restaurant with 4 friends. We all (except one) live in Pittsburgh and read that this restaurant was rated #1 on Trip Advisor. I booked the reservation through open table with great ease. We showed up 1 hour early to grab a few drinks and relax with some conversation. They were able to sit us 20min earlier than expected, so we headed for the dinner table.

First thing I noticed was that the menu wasn't the same as published on open table...not a big problem, but surprised when handed the restaurant menu. We all ordered our meals and dove into conversation with the waiter jumping in and out with drinks, bread, etc. And I must say the bread selection they had throughout the meal was amazing! Delicious! Once we were given our appetizers, the "reactions" were mixed. The portions were small and nothing "wowed" us, I would say the start was just average and the seasoning was left wanting.

Once we received our main meals, half of our group again were disappointed in the portions. My wife and I had the pulled short rib with pasta, except the kitchen gave me most of the pasta and left her with only 3 spoon full's for her main course. The seasoning was "bland" and I was very disappointed with the so called pulled short rib's. The meat was fatty and "grizzly" to chew. One of my friends in the group had a cooked chicken with grilled vegetables. The chicken was "mostly" cooked but needed a few more minutes in the oven. His wife complained that her cooked spinach was rubbery and didn't eat portions of her meal. I would say, only one person was happy with the meal they choose and it was the burger and fries. The waiter only asked how everyone's meal was 1-2 minutes after we received the main courses and never asked again.

To sum it all up, the evening was a great start for lounging around with a few friends and drinks, however, we will never return to Spoon again for their over priced meals that do not deliver quality with appropriate portions.

Dinners be cautious of your cooked (or un-cooked chicken)!

1  Thank CAinsanity
Reviewed 27 October 2013

this was our second visit to Spoon. very nice atmosphere and a busy saturday night crowd but the tables were way too close together. we could have helped our selves to our neighbor's food if they weren't looking...and we actually received so little food, that might have been tempting!
our food was beautifully prepared, and exquisitely presented by kitchen staff who seemed very proud of their creative efforts. however our portions were very, very small.
examples:i started my meal with a $9.00 serving of the squash soup. a pitcher of approximated 2-3 oz of the soup was presented over 2 tbsp. of duck confit. delicious, but certainly didn't spoil my appetite for the entree!
i ordered the "icelandic" whitefish...really? what tells this fish apart from a piece of canadian white or frozen cod loins from sam's club? my two pieces of fish were approximately 2 oz each, atop a bed of about 2-3 tbsp. of rice and maybe a quarter of a cup of shaved cooked veggies. lovely, but extremely small portions of sauces. this was a $26 entree. i woke up completely starving at 3 am. by the way, we are mid-60's in age, and do not have the appetites we did ten years ago. we are not huge eaters. but still this restaurant managed to underachieve in that area.
my table mates experienced the same extraordinary presentation and taste, and same tiny portions. one person had the veal meatballs..3 meatballs for a man?.
our table of four also found our server to be very frosty in her attitude. we enjoyed ourselves because of the wonderful friends we were with. we enjoyed the beautiful, and elegant food...but it you are actually hungry, and looking for dinner, this is not your restaurant.

2  Thank lakebuddy52
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The food was very good, albeit we all thought the appetizers and desserts were better than main dish. The atmosphere and decor are flawless and it was surprisingly not very noisy considering it was Saturday evening and the restaurant was full. This is a pricey restaurant but it's worth a visit for a special occasion.

Our server was Melanie and she was one of the best servers we have ever encountered. If you go, try and ask for her. You will not regret it. We were 7 people so I do not remember what everyone had. My dish was a special of steak with chimichurri and other wondereful veggies. My son had the duo of beef and he loved it. They made grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids and they ate them all along with the fries.