“Very Good Just Short of Great”
Review of Spoon

Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Penn Circle
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very Good Just Short of Great”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Was at Spoon for a romantic dinner. Arrived early and sat at the bar for drinks. Friendly staff but bar staff not really trained on the specialty drinks. One of the martinis lacked an acid. Had a nice table for dinner. Crispy duck confit was very good, the quail was a bit gamey and not spectaular. Pork dish was quite good as the seafood sampler. Had a side of brussel sprouts which were good but there was a common theme on the entrees and side dishes of a lack of salt. Adding salt completed the dish. Carmel ice cream for desert was good but not memorable.

Great decor and definitely a place to return.

Toronto, Canada
“Rushed & impersonal service”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The food saved the night in this particular instance. On a very busy and loud Saturday evening, crammed at a table for two between 2 parties of four, our unprofessional server did the restaurant zero favors and failed to help warm the space up for us, so to speak. We like to go out for dinner often and I haven't experienced such impersonal, cold and frankly, sloppy service in quite a long time. Wine glasses and dessert menus dumped on the table hurriedly, no famous bread selection offered. Very surprising and disappointing.
Luckily, the food was delicious, but apparently the service is not consistently good here, depending on who looks after you. It was bad enough that we unfortunately won't be returning.

Pittsburgh, PA
“Loved the Food, Drinks were Exhorbitant”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We are local Pittsburghers and had never been to Spoon but had heard good things about it. We mad reservations a few weeks in advance and took my father and his wife. The food was excellent - had small green salads that had just the right amount of flavoring. The service was excellent. For entrees we had whitefish which was prepared perfectly with nice curry flavorings on top of jasmine rice and shaved vegetables. The portions were small but just right for me. My husband got the cassoulet which was also excellent and mouth watering. The prices for food seemed pretty reasonable - $9 for salad, $22-$30 for the entrees. We did not have dessert or appetizers. We each had 2 glasses of wine because the bottles started at $69. Our bill was $257 for 4 people. I think the restaurant would do well to have a few more reasonably priced bottles of wine. Loved the restaurant but probably will not go back because of the wine prices. So many other great choices in Pittsburgh.

Los Angeles
“A little "under-whelming" to be perfectly honest”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

After reading all the reviews and accolades about Spoon, I was quite excited to get a reservation and try dinner. First, the service was absolutely wonderful. You couldn't ask for a more pleasant and attentive staff, from the host to the chef, they really went out of their way to make you feel like family. The dining room was chic, but almost seemed unfinished. There were elements of the dining room that were outstanding, but the floor was old and dirty looking and the bar took up too much of the dining room. The appetizers were amazing. We had the torched salmon, foie gras, and seafood pasta. I thought the presentation was immaculate and the taste was wonderful. Then came the main course. I had the NY strip steak and cheek. Both pieces of meat were fatty, had no flavor, and lacked creativity. I was very under-whelmed. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing, but I left sort of disappointed. The value however is great, very cheap for good quality (minus the main course).

easton, maryland
“What a FIND in Pittsburgh: sophisticated, great food, ambience and interesting wines”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was visiting friends who moved to Pittsburgh. My expectations were neutral…it has been decades since I was there. The best food was at a classic big restaurant, long time favorite of the city, and small bars in neighborhoods. I was NOT prepared for SPOON! A very sophisticated restaurant in every sense. Sophisticated menu/dishes yet not fussy. The wine list included some intriguing varietals not at all typical. John, manager/wine expert, selected for us an exceptional wine.
Wish SPOON were located closer to me! I would be there often!