“Best Place in Pittsburgh”

Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A bit expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every penny!
First off the staff goes out of their way to please. Always pleasant, no frowns to be found.
Ask for a room on the top floor as we did. you get extras not told about. Free breakfast Monday through Friday, snacks and also an "honesty bar", sodas and snacks and newspapers free - all on the 14th floor. Plus great views. The lobby has lots of spots to sit, drink, converse, little out of the way places can be romantic.
The hotel is centralized in downtown where you don't need to drive once you're there. PNC park is a 1/3rd of a mile walk, as are numerous restaurants and theatres. The point is also close by. Busses are easy to get to and are easy to use. The subway is also a short walk away.
No need to look at other hotel reviews. Stop here and book this beautiful place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We were SO disappointed! We actually stayed an earlier date than it let me select. We went to get away for a few days and visit friends in the area. We LOVED the Renaissance Baltimore, so I decided to book our stay in Renaissance Pittsburg. HORRIBLE! Paid the extra money to be club level with a King size bed and city view. I even called ahead to verify everything because I wanted no issues on our getaway. We got to our (smoke smelling) room and it was two doubles overlooking.... a wall. It was apparently a courtyard facing room but you could only see brick out the window. I really wish I had taken a picture of it now, but I was so angry I went right back down to the front desk. The WORST part is the woman at the front not only was unconcerned, but argued with me! Trying to say the "King Bed" and "City View" were based on availability! I pulled out my phone and showed her my confirmation email AND my Marriott app that shows my reservation and pointed it out it said that NOWHERE! They switched our room finally off club level (although I still paid for the club level room) to a room that was a King bed and semi-city view (aka the side if a building but if you look around the corner you could kind of see the city) I would have went back and argued more, but by that time we were late meeting up with our friends. Stains were on the floor, which is what I would expect possibly at at Red Roof Inn, not a Renaissance!! Odd things were missing like an alarm clock, but I was in no mood to deal with that. That night we got back (and mind you it was VERY hot that week) but our AC didn't work all night! The lowest we could get the room is 74 with no air circulation! The next morning we were sweating getting ready! It was just HORRIBLE. I tried to follow up with management about it because I was SO disappointed. Someone got back to me finally after months about a room comp, but when I replied to them... Nothing. It was SO disappointing because it was an absolutely BEAUTIFUL building and area.. But unless things change I would stay at the Econo Lodge before this hotel... SERIOUSLY!

Stayed: August 2013
Paul N, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel. We take great pride in providing the best accommodations in the City of Pittsburgh. I can tell you that many things have changed since the date of your stay back in August of 2013. I am sorry you had a disappointing stay back then but I hope that you give us a chance to show that your experience was the exception and not the rule at the Renaissance.

Paul Newmaster

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Initially we chose this hotel because of its close proximity to Heinz Field – came to the city for the Luke Bryan concert! – and didn’t do much research on the hotel other than its location (which is great by the way). Upon arriving, we were thrilled with the choice to stay here! All the staff we came across were exceptionally friendly, and very helpful! Especially the front desk staff!

The hotel was quite full when we arrived, so we ended up in a room with one king (for 3 of us) however, so they sent a roll away bed up for us (very comfortable too!).
The room was gorgeous, and the bathroom was a great size as well (had lots of counter space for makeup and hair appliances to spill everywhere and not roll onto the floor). The view of the Allegheny River from our room was a very nice and unexpected bonus

The location is great! Such a short walk to Heinz Field and PNC Park (just right across the bridge); theres a bar beside the hotel, and a great little pizza place (that was packed after the concert). Theres also a parking garage directly across the street, which makes everything even that much more convenient

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked two rooms for two nights. Front desk staff was very helpful. I splurged and paid for upgrade to club room level. That was a nice experience. The price of upgrade is more than the value of the food (great breakfast, plus light happy hour appetizers and cookies/candies later), but the experience was enjoyable and convenient, and my mom loved it. They were very helpful while we waited for our trolley tour. All staff were superb. The building is an architectural marvel and very well maintained.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tlhjar
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The rooms were quite lovely for being historic they tried to utilize but those BIG bay windows were a bit odd for them to decorate around I am sure. It did have a bar and restaurant but the lobby didnt feel homey at all. Beds were superb and I am PICKY about beds. We parked across the street and walked to most of the places .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for an anniversary celebration. The staff was friendly and our room was clean and comfortable. You cannot eat the location. A parking garage is right across the street ($5...all day) if you opt out of valet. There are also lots of good restaurants near the area, including Six Penn and others. All theaters are within walking distance. Overall good stay, pricey, but worth it...

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Went to Pittsburgh for the weekend to catch a baseball game and see some of the local sites. From the moment we arrived until we left, the staff was excellent. We also got a lovely room with an incredible view of the ballpark and the river.

Room Tip: High floor facing the river. I think you do not want a room on the inside courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple