“Meh”

Ranked #13 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was my first stay at the hotel and I was unimpressed given the brand and price. Valet service was adequate but not very welcoming (high quality hotels know that first impressions are the most important). Check in was friendly and we were given club level access, which was great for breakfast. Our room was not good. Awful view of air conditioning units. Double beds, not queen as advertised. Since this was paid for using points, I didnt bother to complain. Bathroom was nice with Aveda bath products. Went to a concert and returned around midnight to find no one at the front doors and a creepily quiet lobby. I did not feel safe at all. There are much nicer places downtown and I am glad that this was a free stay because i would have been very annoyed at spending the $$$.

• Stayed July 2014
Paul N, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Renaissance Pittsburgh. I can assure you that security is a top priority for us. We have key-access only front doors after hours. We will use your feedback to improve our service to continue to make the Renaissance the best that Pittsburgh has to offer.

Paul Newmaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Rooms nice size with great bedding but can get noisy if events in town. Restaurant food average...chef explores too much. Front desk staff very accommodating. Bar area "average. Convenient location. Overall high 3 rating

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Paul N, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We value your opinion and will review your comments at our operational excellence meeting. Our goal is to exceed expectations in every way.

Have a Great Day!

East Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lovely room, convenient location, great view. Upon arrival, I ordered room service. Shortly afterwards the phone rang. A male caller asked if I was enjoying my stay and if I had enjoyed room service. He then said there had been a computer malfunction and room service needed my credit card information. I did not provide the info and went to the front desk. There was no computer malfunction. Someone inside the hotel shared my name, room number and that I ordered room service in an attempt to get my credit card number. Lukewarm response from management who suggested this was not an uncommon event. Really? Asked for management to call me and tell me how this was being addressed. No phone call. Detracted from the stay -- which was too bad. It really is a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of PNC or Heinz Park.
3 Thank RS L
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the response from a member of our management team. I can assure you that we take these matters very seriously and have a system in place including notifying the authorities. I would be happy to discuss further if you so desire.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed here many times. Funny part is we live in Pittsburgh. We have our pick of hotels in the city and we come to the Renaissance every time. It's a big old building that is very nice. They work very hard to bring comfort and technology to the hotel.

Food is good in the hotel. Lots of local places to eat as well.

Stayed July 2014
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here during a visit to Pittsburgh, where I grew up. We got a great deal through Priceline, which normally means the crappiest room in the place... not so here. Or, if it was, I wouldn't have known! Although plain (no frills), the room was spacious (with super high ceilings) and clean with an extremely comfortable King bed and large window. Best: the location -- we walked over to the Northside to visit the Aviary and then back to hang out at the Point and then on over to the Duquesne Incline to have dinner on Mt. Washington and back to the hotel. Great place, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yellabella
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

You know it is a great hotel, when you can sleep like if you were home. The room was near the elevator on the 5th floor and at first we thought it might be disruptive but it worked out fine. The ice machine was also next to the room but it wasn't bad at all especially considering that we got a great deal with price line (probably why we got that room). The bathroom and sheets were very clean, I love the high ceilings of the room. My kids loved this hotel. It was a great stay, I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Germantown, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Located in the former Robert Fulton Steamship Headquarter, this is a hotel with charm and great views. Located right on the river if you are able to get a riverfront view you can look into PNC stadium and see Heinz field from your room. A bit pricey, but a cool place to stay.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors facing the river.