“WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER--HORRIBLE HOTEL”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #43 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I am a very frequent traveler mostly for business. This facility is poor overall but the CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE WORST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED!! We were in a two bedroom suite and when we arrived back to the room on day 1, the room had not been serviced. We called and they told us that noone could service the room, they would be happy to have soap, towels, etc. delivered and would make sure it was cleaned day 2! Really! Arrived to the room on day 2 and, you guessed it--no housekeeping!! I was livid on day 3 but not there to deal with it. My wife spoke to the manager on duty who apologized and offerred us 5,000 bonus points on my Marriott rewards account. Worth roughly $30. Hotel bill was over $1,000!!! I couldn't believe the APATHY of this establishment. THIS IS WHY I STAY AT HILTON PROPERTIES WHENEVER POSSIBLE. I TRAVEL A LOT AND HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES BUT NEVER BEEN MET WITH SUCH POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. The room was also very hot, dirty, broken door handle, broken lock on main door, broken lock on one of the bathroom doors, large stains on the carpeting, etc.. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT STAYING HERE, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SEEK OTHER ACCOMODATIONS.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank dscgb

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. The best word that I can use to describe my room is "gross". There were stains all over the carpet and the chair and ottoman were so cracked and worn they looked like the came from a fraternity house. The bathtub was stained too. I finally called the front desk and they offered to move us to a different room. The second room was quite a bit better, but still in need of an update. Although not the hotel's fault, the hallways smelled from cooking.

I was able to walk to the main Pitt campus (I think they say it is .8 miles) but there is also a shuttle that will bring you down as well.

There are not a lot of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, but if you don't mind walking (especially up hill on the way back!) you can find a few places to eat.

I guess I was expecting from this hotel what I have experienced at all the other Residence Inns I have stayed at, but was left disappointed. I like to stay at Marriotts because they are generally consistent from place to place, but this one is definitely in need of a makeover.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DrivingMama
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This hotel has families living there, so it's not uncommon to hear kids running up and down the halls. It's a nice property, but needs some updating. It's out of the way from almost everything. I was in a room across from an elevator that screeched loudly every time the door opened- from 5 a.m. through 8 a.m. The front desk clerk did get me a 5000 point credit for the trouble, and I'm very appreciative, but I won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay at the downtown Marriott or Omni William Penn.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cromito
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My friends and I had a great visit here. I agree, there's not much in the neighborhood. BUT, if you're driving...you're close to everything! Within 15 minutes, you can explore Pitt's campus, Little Italy, Shadyside, the Strip District, downtown, Market Square, and the North End. Too much to do in just a few days. The terrace here is the perfect place to enjoy a great breakfast buffet and an even better view of the city's east end. Cherie at the desk worked was simply a joy to work with when a simple mistake was made in our billing. Having stayed at no less than 5 Marriott properties in Pittsburgh, this one quickly rose to our top choice due to it's accessibility to the city and pleasant staff.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Like most Residence Inns at which I've stayed the past few years, this one is looking and feeling a bit tired and in need of new furnishings and decor. (I'm not sure with the freshness and price points of the Spring Hill Suites brand where Residence Inns fit in the Marriott portfolio.) The front desk service was fine, the bed Marriott comfortable, the suites adequately furnished even if dated and a little long in the tooth. The pool area fine and the "fitness center" small and very spartan - just enough to say there is one. There is a free access old tech PC and printer (which was helpful for flight check-in and printing a boarding pass) in the "business center" (really just a cubicle). The MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT is the location - near nothing except several nursing homes. The University area is a solid 20-30 minute walk at a fast clip down (and then back up) some very steep hills. There is not even a convenient mini-mart to grab a sandwich nearby. While the location is safe and a convenient DRIVE to many places, it is not a good choice for enjoying what the CITY of Pittsburgh has to offer. That said, if you need a safe, comfortable place to sleep while doing what you need to do at the many nearby hospitals or universities, this property is adequate.
P.S. The free buffet breakfast was "adequate" but again unremarkable. The only notable exception to the blandness of this property was the hotel manager, who greeted everyone personally at breakfast, bussed and cleaned tables, and tried his best to make every guest feel valued.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jgb10011
Reviewed 27 May 2012

One of the best things about this facility is that it's within easy walking distance of the University of Pittsburgh (and the UPMC Medical Center). This is why we stayed here--we have a daughter attending in the fall, and needed to go down for an orientation. The Residence Inn offered a great rate, and that was just the beginning. We arrived in a morning, and the hotel manager immediately allowed us to check into our room, and park in the (relatively inexpensive) on-site garage.

The room was big and clean, more like a studio apartment than a hotel room. A full kitchen area with full-sized refrigerator, coffeemaker, microwave and range; a large HDTV, a comfy bed, and a couch, desk, dining table... I would have easily expected to pay twice the price for a room of this quality.

The full breakfast was good, fresh, and had a constant flow of staff renewing all of the items. There were complimentary newspapers, an efficient shuttle, and our experience of the entire place was one that made sure that whenever we need to stay close to Pitt over the next few years, we'll be calling up the Residence Inn, to be sure!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The staff at Residence Inn all incredibly friendly and helpful; from the manager to the maintenance man you meet in the hallway. Everything is clean and represented honestly.

Room Tip: No in-hotel restaurant but the breakfast buffet is great with fresh fruits, yoghurt, and more...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family