“second time here for college visits and it is a good place to stay”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #49 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
South Florida, Florida
“second time here for college visits and it is a good place to stay”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

in Pitt with younger daughter to see U Pitt. stayed here 2 years ago with older daughter. They are too old to share one room with two beds- well actually my husband snores so I don't need to subject them to that so these two room hotels are GREAT! the room was plenty big and had plenty of separate space for all of us. the furnishings were nice. we got a roll away so our girls didn't have to share a bed which was great for them. would give this 5 stars but could use a little face lift.
We went to dinner on the south side so had to drive but worth it for the room - nothing on southside had 2 room set up. Price was great - got Pitt visitor rate.
Breakfast was standard for this type of hotel - precooked scrambled eggs and pastries etc.- eating area was very nice
Staff couldn't be nicer. coffee was fresh all day. lobby was great.
happy i choose it again

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel to checkout the Pittsburgh Oakland area. We found the location was great, the staff very helpful, the gym was great, the room was clean, the furniture a bit old and scuffed, but the kitchen worked fine.

The pool is a bit small, but there is a nice little basketball court and garden in the back, outside, that I don't think people knew about. The manager's social hours were nice and the breakfasts were good.

I would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank MaryLeeStenson
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Was visting Pitt with 17 year old for a prospective college visit. This hotel is not really in walking distance of campus since there are several major hills to tackle to get to Pitt. Our room was nice, however, the bathroom was connected to the master bedroom so this inconvenienced the person staying on the pullout sofa, and the person sleeping in the master. A shared bathroom set-up would have been better.

That being said, the breakfast in the morning was great, the hotel stored our bags for the day without complaint, and every single employee we encountered was wonderful. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank roadtripper_fl
Chicago
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The hotel was fine for my late June stay in Pittsburgh. All of the hotels downtown were sold out due to a Kenny Chesney concerts so was happy to find a room here. Room is on the side of a hill, which provides some nice scenic views. The room was a little musty and some of the leather furniture showed visible wear. The bathroom was also a little dated. The brunch was just what you would expect at a Residence Inn or Hampton Inn. Parking was an additional $13 bucks a night, which includes in and out priveleges

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank cactusdave
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We rented 5 roooms for our wedding party and family this past Friday night. They told us we probably could get the rooms by 130 or 2pm so we could get ready for a 4pm rehearsal at the church. Our room wasn't ready till 2:40 and the brides was ready at 3:30. Needless to say we were running from room to room to get ready and were frantic. We spoke with the manager for compensation and they eventually gave us half off 2 rooms and comped the parking cost which is $13/day for all. I wondered if they would have approached us otherwise. They did correct the problem but it would have been nice to have them approach us instead. One of the managers even came to bride/bridesmaids room with bagels, fruit, pastries and juices in the morning. They tried hard to compensate and we all appreciated it. It seemed the front desk said things to us and never followed thruough until we spoke up. It was a great location to St. Pauls Cathedral and I would suggest others to stay there again but be weary of their time frames.

Room Tip: the back rooms face the basketball court and jogging hill which is nice.
1 Thank hollyedw
Wilcox, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have stayed at this Marriott several times over the past few years due to family members being in the nearby hospital. My last experience was when I stayed there while my father was terminally ill. I can't say enough about how the staff at this hotel treated my family. They were so kind and helpful. They went way above and beyond my expectations! During the time that my father was hospitalized they always had a warm smile and always asked how things were going and how my father was doing. When he passed away they sent a wonderful basket up to our room with a nice card and some comfort foods. After this experience, Marriott has and will always be my number one choice in hotels. Thank you for being our home away from home when we needed you! Your kindness will never be forgotten.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheryl N
dscgb
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I am a very frequent traveler mostly for business. This facility is poor overall but the CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE WORST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED!! We were in a two bedroom suite and when we arrived back to the room on day 1, the room had not been serviced. We called and they told us that noone could service the room, they would be happy to have soap, towels, etc. delivered and would make sure it was cleaned day 2! Really! Arrived to the room on day 2 and, you guessed it--no housekeeping!! I was livid on day 3 but not there to deal with it. My wife spoke to the manager on duty who apologized and offerred us 5,000 bonus points on my Marriott rewards account. Worth roughly $30. Hotel bill was over $1,000!!! I couldn't believe the APATHY of this establishment. THIS IS WHY I STAY AT HILTON PROPERTIES WHENEVER POSSIBLE. I TRAVEL A LOT AND HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES BUT NEVER BEEN MET WITH SUCH POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. The room was also very hot, dirty, broken door handle, broken lock on main door, broken lock on one of the bathroom doors, large stains on the carpeting, etc.. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT STAYING HERE, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SEEK OTHER ACCOMODATIONS.

5 Thank dscgb