“Ok. Clean but not worth the money”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #47 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
DC
“Ok. Clean but not worth the money”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Hotel is in a weird location. The room was clean and the buffet breakfast was ok however it wasn't worth $250 a night. I'd stay elsewhere closer to the city. Very family friendly hotel but the location wasn't convenient to downtown nor were there any places to visit nearby.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Firstly Roxanne and Michael at the front desk were awesome. Recognized me as a Gold member and provided my family with a very nice upgrade. We were thrilled. Plus they provided us with some key amenities that made our stay very comfortable.

The rooms themselves were comfortable. A couple of key items that they do need to fix in Suite 910 are:
1) One of the tubs would not drain - my son had to go to the other shower to rinse off his feet after his shower
2) The garbage-disposal stank! Horrible smell everytime the water ran. So we plugged it up and deemed it unusable. Luckily we were there for just one night.
3) One thermostat for a 2-Bedroom suite is not sufficient. Each room at the last Residence Inn I stayed at had it's own thermostat...that's the way it should be.

Overall, we had a great and very comfortable stay and Michael made some great restaurant recommendations which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Breakfast in the morning was good too.

Eden, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The problem I had with the shuttle service because some of the driver were friendly and some weren't. Within my 10 days of stay I had poor experience with Marriott shuttle service. On 2nd day of my stay,I asked one of the driver to drop me at Salems Restaurant which he did and was told to call van 2 for getting picked up. I called around 730pm and was told again I will be picked up by the other van and wait. I waited for 20 minutes and then van 2 wasn't picking up the phone. Then I called after 15 minutes and no one picked up the phone. I was alone on the street and it was almost dark,I felt like I will get robbed because any hardly cars were going around from there. I decided to called van 1 and there was a voice mail which I didn't left. Then I called on van 1 again and was mocked that why I didn't left voicemail (and ALSO told in this COUNTRY people are required to leave voice mails since he thought I'm from different country which I'm not for LAST 7 YEARS) for van 1 and I explained my situation (that I was feared out of my life and wanted to talk in person) then van 1 took immediate action to pick me up. VAN 2 guy name is 'Bill' and he was troublesome for other guests as well.

These things were happening to me for many days but I ignored them because of my busy life and decided to leave in groups in shuttle to be on safe side.

On the another occasion, I had to be picked up by super shuttle service (for airport) but I decided to use Marriott shuttle again and they make me wait for 40 min and no show up at s Craig street. I ended up walking to Marriot because I was almost late for super shuttle to get picked at Marriott and was almost going to lose my plane.
Most of the time in emergencies they hardly show up to pick you up.
I was from room 301 and checked out recently. PLEASE MARRIOTT READ THIS COMMENT BEFORE IT BECOME LIFE THREATENING FOR YOUR GUESTS.

Breakfast and brunch was ok. Room cleaning service was nice because room cleaner don't even move your pin from its original place upon clean up. Staff was friendly except for shuttle service(which can be life threatening for not showing up,if you are not familiar with Pittsburgh)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our room was a complete dump. Furniture was much worse than what you could buy at a secondhand furniture store--poor quality, VERY worn out. The drawers in the dressers didn't even close. Appliances were filthy & there was no soap for the shower; luckily I had some, since the front desk service was terrible. The poor service started with a rude security guard out front. Then, I was waiting for my husband to come up to the lobby from the parking garage (very inconvenient set-up) & was standing in front of the front desk with our luggage, while the clerk pretended to be on the phone. Once my husband arrived, he quickly hung up. We were awakened early by what sounded like someone knocking on our door. It turned out to be maintenance working in a room on a Sat. morning. When we called the desk, we were first hung up on, then we called back with no answer. Finally, the third time, we got a manager who stopped the hammering. We didn't even go out into the courtyard; all the tables were shoved together the whole time we were there & a large group of people were there Friday night. It appeared that they were always left that way, possibly due to people living there? The hotel decor was tacky & depressing.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Enjoyed several night stay at Residence Inn. Nice to have kitchen area with refrigerator, stove & sink, almost like staying in an efficiency apt. Desk clerk very pleasant and professional. After we were settled in the room received a call asking how the accommodations were and if we needed anything. The breakfast (included) had a wide variety of foods. Several rooms or outdoor terrace where we could enjoy breakfast. Although we did not attend, each day there was a different themed reception with food & beverages (a nice touch). The entire experience made for a pleasant stay in Pittsburgh.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights. The staff was very pleasant and a couple hours after our arrival called to see if there was anything we needed. These are suite type rooms, but at rates comparable to other midtown hotels in Pittsburgh. We had a full kitchen with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, microwave, etc. and dishes and some pots and pans supplied. Small table for dining, nice couch and chair with flat screen TV, separate bed room (with door separating it) and bathroom area off of the bedroom. I have lived in small efficiency apartments!

Location is great, close to Oakland/U. Pitt & CMU, easy drive to downtown and strip district. They offer nice hot breakfast buffet in the morning and "manager's receptions" in the afternoon with free beer & wine + changing munchies. Will definitely stay there again.

Oh, can't forget.... great bed soft with good support, slept great.

Pekin, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very comfortable could use some updating. The breakfast was good and has a nice outdoor patio area. You do have to pay 15 dollars a night to park which should be free since the hotel is 200 a night is my only complaint.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business