“Property and staff need upgrading”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #44 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've stayed here twice while looking at colleges and then again while moving my daughter into college. The first time was okay. We had an issue with a staff member being rude to several guests, but the manager apologized and made the situation right. The 2nd time it was a bad enough experience that I doubt we will be returning. Not only was the room FILTHY, our room didn't get cleaned when they were cleaning rooms. We were there for 2 days and did not have the do not disturb sign on our door since we needed fresh towels and linens. We called the front desk when no one had stopped by by 2 pm. We were told that they were still working the floors and that we would definitely get cleaned. 4:30 pm, I called again. The guy on the other end of the line said Oh when I told him that my room still hadn't been visited. I then waited for him to tell me that was someone would be coming or even apologize, but he simply hung up on me. I thought for sure it was an accident so I waited for him to call me back. When he didn't call me back after several minutes, I called him back and asked him if he accidentally got disconnected from me and he simply said No. I then asked him what was going on and he said he would send someone up. No one came. The next time I called I asked for a manager. He apologized and came up personally to make sure the room got clean, this was almost 7pm at night. He was very gracious and I appreciate his behavior. His name was Dan. However the rest of the staff was atrocious and the hotel is in massive need of a good cleaning and upgrading. In addition to these problems are the homeless people that hang out in the lobby downstairs. You would think that security would remove them, but apparently not. Also the pool and jacuzzi have way too much chlorine in them. My whole family had issues with it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JennileeAD

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The staff at this hotel was great. We have stayed at several hotels in Pittsburgh and this was our best experience. The General Manager was extremely helpful and went out of his way to make our visit outstanding. The front desk staff was pleasant as was housekeeping and food service. We would definitely stay at this Marriott again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here 1 night while visiting the area and the zoo. We arrived late and the parking was confusing. You have to park in a parking ramp, then take an elevator to the front desk, and check in. Not as easy, or as inviting as it sounds. The room itself was okay. There was a walking area outside that connected to another building. It was nicely lit. Lots of people sitting/wandering. We had a major issue with house keeping the next morning--calling and hanging up when we answered the phone and trying to make us check out hours before the advertised noon check out. I could understand if it was close to check out time, but it wasn't. We did report this, and after several days of going back and forth with the hotel chain, the issue was addressed. We usually stay at Residence Inn's when we travel, but we will not return to this one. Even though the issue was addressed, this hotel is not one I would even consider after this experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank looproad
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed here over a weekend while in town for a Pirates game. The Steelers were also at home which made hotel rooms a bit scarce but I was able to stay on reward certificates for both nights. The hotel is a bit far from downtown and due to the hills and roads of Pittsburgh is farther away than it would seem, but driving in Pittsburgh is not terrible and parking is relatively cheap. My room, a 1 bedroom suite, did not appear as worn and dated as others have experienced. The hotels layout is a bit complicated and does require using two separate elevators but the layout does flow well. The complimentary breakfast was your usual hot breakfast fare and nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel was exactly what I was expecting. The decor is a little dated but our room was very clean including the bathroom. The breakfast had a nice selection of your typical continental breakfast. This hotel is definitely not within walking distance of downtown. But there are other restaurants near by. it's a bit difficult to get downtown. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you wherever you want to go and they are very helpful in finding locations and giving recommendations. But the cab situation in Pittsburgh is TERRIBLE! In all of my previous visits I had stayed downtown and never knew about the cab problem. If you're planning on going out downtown and cabbing it to and from you may want to consider another location.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

If you are going to be spending time downtown, I would stay downtown. I did not like the location. Pittsburgh roads are a mess and there are no taxi cabs. The staff was friendly but they told me they were going to do a few things and then forgot to do them. The hotel is dated and there was blood on the pillow case when I arrived. On the plus side, it was cheaper than the hotels downtown, parking is convenient, breakfast was great, and the room size was large. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingGuido7
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I visited Pittsburgh with two girlfriends to prepare for my sons wedding and we spent the night at this lovely hotel. The service was fantastic, the manager hosted a reception in addition to tasty breakfast. They have a van that will take anyplace you want to go, plus make recommendations for any type of restaurant. We completely enjoyed our short stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends