“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Squirrel Hill South
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Having experienced really great Peruvian (Inca's Kitchen in Naples Florida) we were happy to see a new Peruvian Restaurant open in our neighborhood (I think the 3rd. in the Pittsburgh area). It had been open about 6 months when we first visited Aji Picante. The food was exceptionally salty, and barely edible. When we complained we were told that the regular chef was off that evening.
Friends have told us that they liked the restaurant and so a year or so later, when the salty taste had left our pallets, we tried it again.

The hostess was anything but cordial, about one standard deviation from hostile. This time the food was better than OK, but hardly exceptional. This is a pricey restaurant as Pittsburgh restaurants go, and we expected better. The cherry on this particular cake was when I found that my credit card had been charged more (only a dollar or so) than I had signed for with food and gratuity. We won't be back.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I was a little concerned that the food would be too spicy for me, but that was easily dealt with. The escobeche (salmon) was first rate, as was the scallop dish. We also enjoyed the "Bachelor's Salad." We liked the service and the setting, as well. Located almost next to the Manor Theater, it was so convenient that we ate there again a few days later and had a repeat performance. Reminder: it's BYOB.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I ate at the restaurant with a group of 6 people. Five of us wanted to eat the chef's tasting menu and the other person only wanted an appetizer. The chef would not allow it because we were a party of 6! We solved the problem ourselves by dividing the tables into a group of 2 and a group of 4. The tasting menu food was well done but the dining experience was marred. Not a pleasant experience. A restaurant must serve good food and have a welcoming atmosphere. The chef/management at Ali Picante has much to learn to be successful.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have eaten here twice with groups of friends. Everyone loved it. The food is very good and the atmosphere is not rushed. The staff was helpful and friendly. The cuisine is Latin American with Peruvian specialties. The restaurant is BYOB.

1  Thank MHC79
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a great restaurant. Food was fresh and flavorful. Service was attentive. The mussels appetizer should not be missed. The Potato cheese raviloi were heavier than expected. The sauce was too rich for my tastes when combined with the heavy ravioli. However, the flavors were very nice. Deserts are very good. It is also BYOB which is a plus.