Comfort Inn - Pittsburgh / Steubenville Pike
Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Another average Comfort Inn. Stayed in a room with a whirlpool. On the plus side, the room was fairly clean except housekeeping missed an empty chocolate milk bottle under the bathroom sink. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. The heater/ac worked well. Both the room and hallways had a pleasant smell. The staff that I interacted with were pleasant and friendly. On the minus side, there were burn marks on the counter in the bathroom and on the blanket. The pillow were small and square shaped. One of the jets in the whirlpool did not work and the room could use a little touch up. There was a quarter size hole in the carpet near the door and a gouge in the wall in that same area. A small portion of the ceiling above the whirlpool shows signs of a moisture problem and looks like part of it could "flake off" anytime. Finally, the breakfast was below par as compared to similar motels.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pghphil

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We booked through expedia - and this was the first time that it appeared to be the worst thing you can do...

I hadn't realized that we were in two double beds style room when I first booked, so I asked if we could be switched and was told it was not at all possible b/c we had booked through expedia. Why this was at all a big deal I have no idea. I offered to pay the difference for a nicer room and was told no - again b/c we booked through expedia NOT because the hotel was sold out or anything which was really annoying. It seemed as though they were angry we had not booked directly through the hotel...

Our room was RIGHT by the lobby. We, like most guests, were in town for the Steeler game but I had a super early flight and told the hotel this - despite that news, we were given the room next to ALL of the loud, drunks fans who were still stumbling in past 1 a.m. and we heard EVERY word as if they were in our room.

Also, we had a non-smoking room yet we had a cigarette stained bed spread? Housekeeping did quickly change the bedspread but the overall feel of this place is cheap, cheap cheap. It was ok for one night but I would never consider a longer stay. There is no "gym" really it's just three pieces of equipment in a tiny room with an odor to it.

Also, if interested, it's about a 15 minute drive to Heinz field - I knew this beforehand but there are a lot of closer [but more expensive] hotels right by the stadium.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

I first stayed here in June 2012. I had one of my dress shirts stolen, was kept up all night by a group of drunks partying in the hall, the hotel smells horrible, and not only was I accused of lying about my shirt, but one morning over breakfast I had to listen to, Larry I believe, speak ill of me at the front desk to someone on the phone when they apparently told him about my shirt being taken. I suggested that my shirt had been mixed up with the laundry when I brought the situation up, but without speaking to me, Larry decided I was lying. The shirt was $20 at JC Penny. I'm not tearing the place down or making a scene over $20, so to listen to him berate me without knowing i could here him was upsetting.

As if that wasn't enough, I was stupid enough to stay again. Although I wasn't kept awake by drunks and none of my clothing was taken, my room key kept not letting me into my room and each trip to the desk required me to go outside to get the person smoking to get me a new key.

The place is incredibly inconvenient to get into, it smells bad, and most of staff is indifferent if not rude.

THE ONLY NICE THING ABOUT THIS PLACE is the woman that tends to the breakfast. She is an absolute sweetheart. If you stay here, make sure to smile and be nice to her.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stopped for the night because it was close to I79. The property is in good repair the beds are comfortable and the shower is decent with lots of hot water. The rooms are clean, but there was a slightly musty odor in our room. It wasn't strong and after a few minutes we no longer noticed it.

There is only one place to eat that is within walking distance, but be prepared to climb a hill on a busy road with no sidewalk. There are tons of places within a couple of miles to the west off Stubenville Pike. Breakfast was very good for a discount property. There was a selection of hot and cold and the staff made an effort to keep the buffet well stocked.

For one night the place was fine, and with a coupon it was one of the better deals in the area.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We just choose this hotel at random while on our vacation for a night's stay and it worked out nicely. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The parking area seemed very limited and small and we had to make a U-turn to get into the parking lot as there is a median in the center of the road. Also, our GPS showed the address up the street a little further than it actually was located.

Standard complimentary breakfast and fairly small eating area. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Room was fine and breakfast was better than I expected (though as others have mentioned, the eating area is a bit cramped), but the left side door leading outside is broken and does not shut unless you carefully, deliberately slam it. I checked it four times during my stay and it was open every time, including late at night and in the early morning.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Pros- Short drive to Carnegie Science Center (our destination). Updated decor & free parking. The room was clean, including the microwave, fridge, coffee maker, iron/board, hairdryer. The bathroom was clean with the exception of mold on the shower curtain. Flat screen tv/cable worked great. The breakfast had a nice selection of hot/cold foods & the lady that ran was friendly. There is a computer in the lobby, which I found useful since I didn't have my laptop. Front desk staff was also friendly. Small fitness room- bike, treadmill, stairmaster. I would suggest to the staff to add bleach wipes for guests to wipe down afterwards but the water machine & towels were nice to have on hand.

Cons - Room & beds were small & hard, and even though it was non-smoking, it was surrounded by smoking rooms so the minute we entered, the smell was evident. Why not have one floor of just non smoking rooms? Also, no pool and the hotel is located on a section of the road that you can only make right turns. This was a hassle b/c you had to drive a bit just to be able to U-turn.

Overall- Pittsburgh hotels are expensive. I paid a 7 day advance rate and thought this was a good deal for its location to downtown and room amenities.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family