“Just an OK hotel...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Springfield, Ohio
“Just an OK hotel...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I recently stayed here for one night on June 18th during business trip. The reservation was made based on the more recent reviews here on TripAdvisor indicating that the hotel had been remodeled in the last year.

The hotel has in fact been remodeled and shows fairly well. It appears to be generally clean, but is also spartan. It does not have a pool and the fitness room was more of a fitness nook. My room was clean upon check-in ;however, the floor that I was on had a strong odor of marijuana and incense in the hall throughout my stay. Apparently someone was there on pleasure and not business.

Beyond the facilities, the staff was less than helpful and didn't seem to be trained well (or at all?) The person that checked me in and later other coworkers that were staying there as well, failed to activate some key cards and had general difficulty properly checking us in and charging our credit cards. Another employee who appeared to be the overnight guy repeatedly told us that he knew us and that we stayed there all the time (none of us had ever been there). The female members of our party found him "creepy."

They have a social beer hour where they bring out a single keg on a kegerator. It was supposed to be for an hour, but they took it away earlier than that, so we were not able to enjoy. The breakfast was just OK... avoid the waffles - they come out with a rubbery texture.

Be careful entering and exiting the hotel parking lot. The hotel is basically cut into a hill sitting 30 feet above the roadway. In turn, the grade coming up into the lot is extreme. Pulling out, you are basically blinded in both directions coming onto a 2 lane pseudo-highway where cars are passing by between 45 and 60 MPH.

The price isn't bad if you want a clean & secure place to stay... Just don't expect much.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NateSpringfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Rooms were newly updated, Everything was clean and it really was the perfect sized room. The complimentary breakfast was great for quick start in the morning. Offering make your own waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereal, toast, etc. Staff was friendly and attentive.
The only downside was it was little far from where I had to go, it was still not bad. Other than that, it was quiet, clean and suited my needs perfectly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

My friends and I visited Pittsburgh for the NCAA hockey tournament. I was in charge of locating a nearby, affordable hotel, and this fit the bill. Other locations across the river from the hockey arena, but closer than the 9 miles this Comfort Inn is located, were prohibitively more expensive (by a factor of 3!). I was told by a friend who travels to Pittsburgh on business frequently that the presence of the natural gas (fracking) industry is responsible for limiting the available rooms and driving up the prices.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms were clean, the heating/ac worked flawlessly, and the continental breakfast adequate and eating area was well maintained. Having a Kings Restaurant a short block away and being less than a mile from Interstate 79 was also a plus.

Finally, as beer aficionados, we also enjoyed the Sharp Edge Creekhouse restaurant and Belgian beer bar, just down the road!

I plan to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank alehugger
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed here for one night while traveling the I - 79. We had a King room facing the Steubenville Pike, and found it to be well appointed and large. The bed was comfortable and everything functioned well.

The breakfast was better than average, with sausage and scrambled eggs etc.

I would stay at this hotel again, but be aware that this location is essentially a stay-over, with a few local dining choices and not much else. We ate at on of the Primanti Bros outlets about 1/2 mile east.

We would request a room on the back side of the building next time, as there is some road noise for trucks on the road throughout the night.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BobOttawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Rooms were clean, staff made me laugh and feel welcomed. Wasnt bothered or disappointed abour my stay at all. Kings restaurant was close by in case i wanted food lol. The room was a bigger size than i had expected but me and my guest had enjoyed myself

• Stayed January 2013
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Another average Comfort Inn. Stayed in a room with a whirlpool. On the plus side, the room was fairly clean except housekeeping missed an empty chocolate milk bottle under the bathroom sink. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. The heater/ac worked well. Both the room and hallways had a pleasant smell. The staff that I interacted with were pleasant and friendly. On the minus side, there were burn marks on the counter in the bathroom and on the blanket. The pillow were small and square shaped. One of the jets in the whirlpool did not work and the room could use a little touch up. There was a quarter size hole in the carpet near the door and a gouge in the wall in that same area. A small portion of the ceiling above the whirlpool shows signs of a moisture problem and looks like part of it could "flake off" anytime. Finally, the breakfast was below par as compared to similar motels.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pghphil
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

We booked through expedia - and this was the first time that it appeared to be the worst thing you can do...

I hadn't realized that we were in two double beds style room when I first booked, so I asked if we could be switched and was told it was not at all possible b/c we had booked through expedia. Why this was at all a big deal I have no idea. I offered to pay the difference for a nicer room and was told no - again b/c we booked through expedia NOT because the hotel was sold out or anything which was really annoying. It seemed as though they were angry we had not booked directly through the hotel...

Our room was RIGHT by the lobby. We, like most guests, were in town for the Steeler game but I had a super early flight and told the hotel this - despite that news, we were given the room next to ALL of the loud, drunks fans who were still stumbling in past 1 a.m. and we heard EVERY word as if they were in our room.

Also, we had a non-smoking room yet we had a cigarette stained bed spread? Housekeeping did quickly change the bedspread but the overall feel of this place is cheap, cheap cheap. It was ok for one night but I would never consider a longer stay. There is no "gym" really it's just three pieces of equipment in a tiny room with an odor to it.

Also, if interested, it's about a 15 minute drive to Heinz field - I knew this beforehand but there are a lot of closer [but more expensive] hotels right by the stadium.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple