“Hilarious, Great Service, and Good Food”
Review of Shiloh Grill

Shiloh Grill
Ranked #62 of 2,172 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tuesday is Bacon Night.
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Hilarious, Great Service, and Good Food”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My girlfriend and I went when we visited Mt. Washington and we were pleasantly surprised and entertained at what we got when we visited the Shiloh Grill. The staff is all friendly and great at making the customers feel at home and welcome to the restaurant. The menu is one of the funniest menus that I have ever seen. The food is affordable and enjoyable, exactly what you expect out of a Pittsburgh meal, tasteful, messy and huge portions! If you haven't already visit the Shiloh Grill, its the best for a warm day!

• Visited April 2014

Venetia, Pennsylvania
“Loud music while dining!!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I realize the bar was 30 feet from the dining room but the restaurant should have played the music a little lower. No one wants to hear loud noises while dining at 5:00 pm. A restaurant should be a relaxing experience especially after work. The food was ok nothing great. Our waitress claimed their mac & cheese was the best. More like liquid gold from Velveeta cheese. I had a mixed drink with a ton of ice and very watered down.

• Visited April 2014
Miami
“Cool place, awesome for date night!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Loved this place! The vibe is very funky, humorous, and hip. We went for dinner, so the place was pretty dark with some dim red lighting - definitely set the mood for a relaxed, chill evening. There's a jukebox too, which is pretty fun to browse through and pick music from.

Drinks: We ordered one of their "famous" frozen cosmos (YUM!) and a winter ale (draft beer) that was also tasty. Both arrived promptly and were delicious.

Food: Don't be fooled by all the bacon/pig decorations and menu items. There is plenty that a vegetarian can enjoy :) We ordered pierogies as an appetizer first. We got 6 of them that were each about the size of your fist, and they came some sour cream and onions. They came out hot and tasted heavenly. For entrees, we had the (noodle-less) eggplant lasagna and tomato soup. The tomato soup was surprisingly spicy (which was not mentioned on the menu), but PACKED with flavor. Delicious. Similarly, the lasagna was extremely flavorful (not spicy this time) despite not having any noodles. The portions were also incredible - we shared the lasagna and tomato soup and got enough food to fill us both!

Dessert: A warm cookie baked in a small cast-iron skillet with a scoop of ice cream on top, with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and a cherry. It was FANTASTIC. The cookie was warm and the chocolate chips were still melting in our mouths. SO good.

Service: Our server was awesome. It was his birthday that night (we overheard some of the other waiters talking about what to do for him after closing), and despite working on his birthday night, he was still friendly and welcoming.

Overall, a great, fun experience. We will definitely be going back soon!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Natalie M
“Decent enough food, bad service. ”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have dined at Shiloh Grill probably a couple dozen times since we moved to Pittsburgh a year and a half ago, so I feel comfortable with the conclusions I make in this review. We mostly visit nowadays for dessert and drinks. Honestly they have some really great desserts and a great tap list. And I would probably feel better about giving this place a higher review except for two things. One, I don't think their dinners are worth the money. The desserts, drinks and appetizers are a pretty good value but with such a rich cuisine scene in Pittsburgh I don't think you get enough bang for your buck for dinner. Just my two cents. However, the biggest reason that I can't give this joint a higher rating is due to the consistently shoddy service. It pains me to write this, because deep down I want to love this place. The problem is that the vibe of the restaurant (fun, quirky, flirtatiously snarky) clashes with the attitude of the staff (apathetic and actually snarky). Once or twice we've received great service, but it's really hit and miss with this place, unfortunately mostly miss. We've NEVER had a kind or friendly hostess, as was the case last night, and our server was especially crabby and aloof. We will probably still frequent the Shiloh Grill until we can find something better. If you want some decent beer and dessert admist a sea of cantankerous hipsters, this is the place for you. Otherwise, feel free to skip.

1 Thank tjbauerle
Frederick, Maryland
“Funky, fun place with a sense of humor”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Got a Groupon for $25 for $50 worth of food. It was worth it! Met my nephew here who lives in Pittsburgh and ate with my kids and husband before we headed back home to Maryland.

Original Plan A: Park for free at the Duquesne Incline parking lot. Take the Duquense Incline up (hear it's a better view) Oooh and ahhh as we walk the almost mile distance down to the other incline (the Monongahela) More oohing and aahing and photos. My kids love me for bringing them to Pittsburgh. Then we cut up to the Shiloh Grill, conveniently located a few houses up on Shiloh Street. The birds are chirping and everyone is happy.

Plan B due to ice and 5 inches of snow and bitterly cold winds: Drive up to the Shiloh Grill. Accidentally follow our confused GPS up steep switchback roads that rival the Himalayas instead of taking McCardle Parkway. Pray the Prius makes it. Husband cursing. We make it. No view due to no visibility from snow. Mom is not doting about her popularity. But the oasis is our reward: a FREE parking lot provided by the Shiloh Grill!

Nice atmosphere; pub like, with lots of funny jokes on the menu and on the walls such as "I love you more than bacon." The place is a little dark and I kept wanting to open the blinds but it's cozy. Our waiter was nice but not as attentive as I would have liked. He disappeared when I needed to pay the bill quickly. It was not crowded so I was not sure about why this happened.

The food was good. I got the creamy Mac and Cheese which has a Velveeta texture and flavor but in a comfort food kind of way. I paired this with tomato soup which was chunky, spicy and thick and not creamy. The salad was OK but all the dressings are homemade and really tasty! Tator tots seem to dominate the menu which is whimsical and fun. My son got chili with tator tots, jalapeno peppers and sour cream and he loved it. It's not that the food is exquisitely fresh; it's just crazy things put together in a creative way. My guess is they rock a great Happy Hour. The drinks looked cool. Would have had one if I didn't have to make that treacherous drive back to Maryland!

My 25 year old nephew said he as glad I found this place and that he will bring his friends and out of town guests here. Keep in mind; there is no view from inside the restaurant but a nice view is within close walking distance. (Or so I've heard...that was part of Plan A...)

• Visited January 2014